Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If You Live Long Enough ... Good Chance You Will Win !

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 2 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2015, 5:34 am - IP Logged

I stumbled across a site dealing with actual odds of winning a lottery game.  Since I am attracted to a 6/49 game with the "better odds" ... I found this depressing question dealing with a 6/49 game ... I can only imagine the answer for the PB and MM.

"I have been playing lotteries and sweepstakes now for two months straight. Will I ever hit a jackpot? And when?

The short answer is no, you will never win. The odds of winning the usual 6/49 lottery are 1 in 13,983,816. You would have to play the game 9,692,842 times to have a 50/50 chance of winning at least once. Assuming you bought 100 lottery tickets a day, it would take 265.6 years to have a 50% chance of winning. To have a 90% chance of winning, it would take 882.2 years."

I guess I will go back to one or two tickets and hope for Lady Luck to show up one day ... last week I bought 20 tickets ($40) for the Monday drawing and won nothing and just this past Thursday I bought 5 tickets ($10) and won nothing.

I don't know for sure if the figures for winning a jackpot in a 6/49 game are accurate ... but they seem about right to me ... as I said earlier, for the PB and MM ... how many years would that take?

So from now on when I go into a store and face down a Lottery Terminal ... holding my money in my hand ... I will think of the immortal words of Inspector Callahan, otherwards known as Dirty Harry ...

"Do you feel lucky? ... well do ya punk ???"

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2679 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2015, 5:55 am - IP Logged

I stumbled across a site dealing with actual odds of winning a lottery game.  Since I am attracted to a 6/49 game with the "better odds" ... I found this depressing question dealing with a 6/49 game ... I can only imagine the answer for the PB and MM.

"I have been playing lotteries and sweepstakes now for two months straight. Will I ever hit a jackpot? And when?

The short answer is no, you will never win. The odds of winning the usual 6/49 lottery are 1 in 13,983,816. You would have to play the game 9,692,842 times to have a 50/50 chance of winning at least once. Assuming you bought 100 lottery tickets a day, it would take 265.6 years to have a 50% chance of winning. To have a 90% chance of winning, it would take 882.2 years."

I guess I will go back to one or two tickets and hope for Lady Luck to show up one day ... last week I bought 20 tickets ($40) for the Monday drawing and won nothing and just this past Thursday I bought 5 tickets ($10) and won nothing.

I don't know for sure if the figures for winning a jackpot in a 6/49 game are accurate ... but they seem about right to me ... as I said earlier, for the PB and MM ... how many years would that take?

So from now on when I go into a store and face down a Lottery Terminal ... holding my money in my hand ... I will think of the immortal words of Inspector Callahan, otherwards known as Dirty Harry ...

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2015, 8:33 am - IP Logged

When it comes to possessing the winning numbers on a single ticket, I will reply with other famous Dirty Harry Callahan
      "Go ahead,,,,, Make my day" !!!!!

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2015, 10:18 am - IP Logged

When it comes to possessing the winning numbers on a single ticket, I will reply with other famous Dirty Harry Callahan
        "Go ahead,,,,, Make my day" !!!!!

Yeah ... that's good ... forgot that one!

I am thinking that the Lottery Terminal with the flashing lights is actually laughing at me ... calling me a punk loser ... but I can throw that right back at it ... "Go ahead,,,,, Make my day" !!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2015, 11:01 am - IP Logged

There's a thread or a post here on LP that was about some study that said your numbers will come up but it might take 483 years.
          Another said over 1100 years.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
            Member #161539
            December 3, 2014
            328 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2015, 11:16 am - IP Logged

There's a thread or a post here on LP that was about some study that said your numbers will come up but it might take 483 years.
            Another said over 1100 years.

Scared

CT ... Of course I can only speak for myself ... but I can't wait that long !

Others may have a different view or time frame.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4145 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2015, 11:56 am - IP Logged

From time to time l will look at a map of the Continental US and know that somewhere out there, is one convenience store or other, that will be selling the winning ticket and that for me is a sobering thought. Armed with that image, l know going in that when l give my playslip to the store clerk- l have as much of a chance of pulling it off as anyone else. Reality must kick in before putting down your money..at least it does for me. 

** As Yoda once said to Luke Skywalker " Remember the Cave."         For me it"s " Remember the Map."

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #77167
                July 15, 2009
                569 Posts
                Posted: June 13, 2015, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Some people have played for 6 months -some played for years before they finally won.  They just did not give up.  That encourages me to keep tickets in for the game(s) I want to win. Persistence.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19898 Posts
                  Posted: June 13, 2015, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

CT ... Of course I can only speak for myself ... but I can't wait that long !

Others may have a different view or time frame.

Nobody can wait that long but what other choice do you have?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Presque Isle, ME
                    United States
                    Member #149019
                    November 17, 2013
                    25 Posts
                    Posted: June 13, 2015, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

People beat the odds all the time it's just a matter of persistence and patience!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1131 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2015, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

100 tickets per day.......

50% chance of win:

• MM 4916 years
                      • PB 3327 years

90% chance of win:

• MM ≈ 16332 years
                      • PB ≈ 11054 years

Important to point out that this and the OP calculation assumes all tickets are randomly generated each time (i.e. no deterministic unique selections). Because of this, in order to meet the 90% confidence interval in MM you would have to buy nearly 600 million tickets. In reality, anybody buying a sum of tickets greater than the casual player would not be using quick picks due to the advantage that dependent selection has for lowering variance.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                        Member #161539
                        December 3, 2014
                        328 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2015, 3:54 am - IP Logged

100 tickets per day.......

50% chance of win:

• MM 4916 years
                        • PB 3327 years

90% chance of win:

• MM ≈ 16332 years
                        • PB ≈ 11054 years

Important to point out that this and the OP calculation assumes all tickets are randomly generated each time (i.e. no deterministic unique selections). Because of this, in order to meet the 90% confidence interval in MM you would have to buy nearly 600 million tickets. In reality, anybody buying a sum of tickets greater than the casual player would not be using quick picks due to the advantage that dependent selection has for lowering variance.

Thanks LM for the additional information ... that's what was missing from this conversation.

Now we can all plan accordingly for future plays ... I'm sure it will only be a "matter of time" till some LP member lands a jackpot.

To get serious ... maybe odds don't register or relate to the average person but changing the "odds" to "years" and we can all understand that.

I play the 6/49 game type for the better odds over MM and PB ... so in my head I think I have a shot at some decent money with that strategy ... but change the "odds" to "years" and it starts to sink in better.

Of course there is still Lady Luck and some people play a few times or a few years and get rewarded.

It was just one year ago yesterday (Fri June 13, 2014) that the 24 year woman from MI won the MM jackpot ... started playing at 19 buying five tickets every MM drawing and won 66 million at age 24 on Friday the 13th.

----------

24-Year-Old Single Michigan Mom Wins $66 Million Lottery

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) -- The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.

Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.

The 24-year-old is getting her jackpot as a one-time lump sum cash payment of nearly $38 million and will take home nearly $27 million after taxes.

The ticket for the June 13 drawing of the multistate lottery game was sold at Sonny Tarhini's Mount Clemens gas station and store. The lottery says Zachow bought five Mega Millions plays that day and her fifth set of numbers, an easy pick, was the winner.

----------

So a few people here and there will be lucky but for most players it's just not going to happen.

Just to add ... I did play the 6/49 game game in PA along with the MM and PB this past week ... I guess I still figured I could beat the odds ... next week maybe not ... possibly just the 6/49 game.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19898 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2015, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Thanks LM for the additional information ... that's what was missing from this conversation.

Now we can all plan accordingly for future plays ... I'm sure it will only be a "matter of time" till some LP member lands a jackpot.

To get serious ... maybe odds don't register or relate to the average person but changing the "odds" to "years" and we can all understand that.

I play the 6/49 game type for the better odds over MM and PB ... so in my head I think I have a shot at some decent money with that strategy ... but change the "odds" to "years" and it starts to sink in better.

Of course there is still Lady Luck and some people play a few times or a few years and get rewarded.

It was just one year ago yesterday (Fri June 13, 2014) that the 24 year woman from MI won the MM jackpot ... started playing at 19 buying five tickets every MM drawing and won 66 million at age 24 on Friday the 13th.

----------

24-Year-Old Single Michigan Mom Wins $66 Million Lottery

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) -- The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.

Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.

The 24-year-old is getting her jackpot as a one-time lump sum cash payment of nearly $38 million and will take home nearly $27 million after taxes.

The ticket for the June 13 drawing of the multistate lottery game was sold at Sonny Tarhini's Mount Clemens gas station and store. The lottery says Zachow bought five Mega Millions plays that day and her fifth set of numbers, an easy pick, was the winner.

----------

So a few people here and there will be lucky but for most players it's just not going to happen.

Just to add ... I did play the 6/49 game game in PA along with the MM and PB this past week ... I guess I still figured I could beat the odds ... next week maybe not ... possibly just the 6/49 game.

The odds of winning a jackpot in a 6/49 game has always been 1:13,983,816 which have always meant players could buy tickets over several life times and never win a jackpot.  Such games going months and some times  a year without a winner just drives that point home.  Any one thinking their turn to win is just around the corner is just dreaming but playing the lotteries is about dreaming.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #77167
                            July 15, 2009
                            569 Posts
                            Posted: June 14, 2015, 8:17 am - IP Logged

People beat the odds all the time it's just a matter of persistence and patience!

I Agree!  just keep playing

United States
                              Member #161539
                              December 3, 2014
                              328 Posts
                              Posted: June 14, 2015, 8:46 am - IP Logged

The odds of winning a jackpot in a 6/49 game has always been 1:13,983,816 which have always meant players could buy tickets over several life times and never win a jackpot.  Such games going months and some times  a year without a winner just drives that point home.  Any one thinking their turn to win is just around the corner is just dreaming but playing the lotteries is about dreaming.

Hi RJOH ... I hope you and others are not taking these posts too serious ... "odds are odds" and 'years are years" and if ever the two should meet, it still means most people will die broke in "lottery terms".

There will be a few "lucky ducks" ... there always are, but most will be lucky to win only some "chump change" in their lifetime !!!

Now as to the 6/49 game ... what you say is true, except for PA ... the PA 6/49 game is the easiest 6/49 game to hit of all the various 6/49 games. There's possibly a reason for that, I'll go into detail later.

I've watched this change over the last three years ... three years ago the average jackpot was around $4 million + before being hit ... then it dropped to $2 million before being hit ... since late 2014 and all of 2015 so far ... the jackpot hardly gets above $1 million, it does so only occasionally. It's averaging a hit every 1 to 1 1/2 months.

There hasn't been a $2 million jackpot since sometime in 2014 ... maybe it's been since 2013.

My theories only ... more people dropping MM and PB for a game with lower odds ... who can say and also 6/49 tickets cost $2 but a player get three chances to win the jackpot, so there is more coverage.

It's all very interesting ... the Lottery Gods have their fun with us poor lottery mortals !