Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Helping Former Lottery Winners

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 1 year ago by music*.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
homestead
United States
Member #158182
August 14, 2014
132 Posts
Posted: September 4, 2015, 1:32 am - IP Logged

If you happen to win, let's say $50 Million to $100 Million Lottery, would you be willing to help out a former Lottery Winner whose now broke by giving them around $1 Million to help them out like Tiffany Edwards (daughter of Powerball Winner David Edwards)? I felt so bad about her situation that I feel a lottery winner should help her out with a Trust Fund. 

Another person who I would love to help out if I win the lottery is Marva Wilson who got conned out of her money. I would love to give her around $2 Million. Would you have done the same for her?

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/woman-wins-2-million-in-lottery-now-broke-after-fraud-scheme-costs-her-thousands

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: September 4, 2015, 1:44 am - IP Logged

hell no, where where they when i needed $2 mill?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4102 Posts
      Posted: September 4, 2015, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Nope. Why?

Because..........

Image result for krypton had its chance

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
        NC
        United States
        Member #164399
        February 28, 2015
        1926 Posts
        Posted: September 4, 2015, 1:54 am - IP Logged

I don't know these people....I would help first, those that I know, then those that have had unfortunate circumstances...not those that have squandered fortunes...

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: September 4, 2015, 3:26 am - IP Logged

No. I'm not giving a bunch of money to someone who had millions already and spent it all. Why would I want to do that?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
            Lavender Rocket

United States
            Member #124616
            March 16, 2012
            2642 Posts
            Posted: September 4, 2015, 3:38 am - IP Logged

If you happen to win, let's say $50 Million to $100 Million Lottery, would you be willing to help out a former Lottery Winner whose now broke by giving them around $1 Million to help them out like Tiffany Edwards (daughter of Powerball Winner David Edwards)? I felt so bad about her situation that I feel a lottery winner should help her out with a Trust Fund. 

Another person who I would love to help out if I win the lottery is Marva Wilson who got conned out of her money. I would love to give her around $2 Million. Would you have done the same for her?

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/woman-wins-2-million-in-lottery-now-broke-after-fraud-scheme-costs-her-thousands

LOL - would i WHAT?  give a stranger with a track record of doing bad things to money ... more money?  alot more money? 

isnt torturning money illegal somewhere?  because im certain that what you are recommending is torture for those poor duckets.  What has money ever done to you that you would be so cruel?

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2657 Posts
              Posted: September 4, 2015, 5:01 am - IP Logged

they screwed the pooch , thar problem

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49627 Posts
                Posted: September 4, 2015, 5:13 am - IP Logged

No. I'm not giving a bunch of money to someone who had millions already and spent it all. Why would I want to do that?

Try telling that to the Tax Collector!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                  Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1258 Posts
                  Posted: September 4, 2015, 6:18 am - IP Logged

Try telling that to the Tax Collector!

Really!  Uncle Sam has squandered billions and billions of dollars.   The problem is, we HAVE to give him a big chunk of our money.

To the OP:  I'm with the others who say not just no, but hell no!  While I feel for Tiffany Edwards, her father HAD stuck a huge sum back for her and his own future, then cashed in the bonds and annuities.  While it isn't her fault her dad was a drug addict and wasted her future security,  I wouldn't feel the need to help her out and as was said earlier, there are people closer to home I'd help, my family, friends, neighbors and others in the community who need money just as much if not more than she does.   I'd be much more willing to help a few people in here than I would her.

As far as Ms. Wilson is concerned, I'd be even less inclined to help her.  While $2 million is a life-changing sum, it's not all that much in the grand scheme of things, at least insofar as sending her granddaughter to college and providing for her own future.  Instead of buying two homes, she should have bought just one and banked the rest or parked it w/ a reputable investment firm.  Another article said a legitimate financial adviser helped her set up an annuity that would have paid her $30k/yr. for the rest of her life...what possessed her to draw money out of that and give it to her new-found shyster friend?   I have very little sympathy for her, despite her age.  (I'm wondering where was her family when all this bilking was going on?) It's too bad it cost her a couple million bucks to learn to choose her friends wisely.

Also,  you're slinging around huge sums like they were penny candy, but you need to realize that if you're going to give away several million bucks, that's going to take away from your lifetime estate/gift exemption of $5.43 million.   That means that if you were leaving ten million to your heirs, they'd still  have to pay estate tax on $4.57 million.  (which could be in excess of $1.828 million, depending upon in which state you reside)  While you can gift $14k/yr. ($28k if you're married) to someone - or any number of individuals -  every year and not have it count against the exemption, you're only allowed to gift larger amounts totalling up to that $5.43 million dollars and anything over that will be taxed at 40%. (source)

Of course, it would be your money and if you'd do that for those people, then more power to you.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #150797
                    December 31, 2013
                    815 Posts
                    Posted: September 4, 2015, 6:39 am - IP Logged

$50 Mil doesn't go as far as you might think.  While it reflects well on you as a person to have these generous impulses, you wouldn't want to be an object of pity yourself after going broke helping others.  And if you think any of your beneficiaries would turn around and give some back -- Ha!

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19816 Posts
                      Posted: September 4, 2015, 7:31 am - IP Logged

Saying you plan to do a lot of good things when you win the lottery is like saying you going to do them when Hell freezes over because you probably don't believe either will ever happen.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #145267
                        August 1, 2013
                        1492 Posts
                        Posted: September 4, 2015, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Really darthfury!  Mmmmmmmmmmm,  really!  What about your family circle?  Who pays the taxes on the money that you give her? To give a person that had millions, more money?  Darthfury do the math and really, really, really re-think this.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19816 Posts
                          Posted: September 4, 2015, 10:23 am - IP Logged

hell no, where where they when i needed $2 mill?

Yea, if I ever win the lottery I plan to help the people who helped me, forget the fools who was once rich and lost it because of their own foolishness.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
                            Member #71120
                            February 19, 2009
                            1209 Posts
                            Posted: September 4, 2015, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I understand your sympathy for people,I do too....when you cant even win grocery money in the state you live in you seem to be a little stingy,I help homeless people all the time here where I live,I got blessed out by a guy on exit 4 Briley parkway in Nashville last week,I didnt have cash so he blessed me out, for him not having rent money,like it's my fault....He said to me I hope your happy I will be homeless next week...I was thinking dude I dont give a crap,treating me like that...those kind of people I dont help and wouldnt..But as far as giving money to strangers that get themselves in those dark places,,,no I wouldnt....It's like playing the Lottery in Tennessee,,stop before you are homeless yourself.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                              nc
                              United States
                              Member #99520
                              October 26, 2010
                              375 Posts
                              Posted: September 4, 2015, 11:57 am - IP Logged

This woman did not pay attention to the papers she signed or her bank statements.  No, I would not.  My sister and her daughter will becomemy charges when this elusive win occurs. I will have my hands full just keeping my sister sticking to her budget.