Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 11:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Helping Former Lottery Winners

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 1 year ago by music*.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10389 Posts
Posted: September 4, 2015, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Hi Coin Toss Smile

Please tell your kidding!  This is a joke right?  - The woman in NJ.

No, not a joke.

http://www.theywonthelottery.com/2008/08/03/nj-woman-wins-lottery-twice-now-lives-in-a-trailer/

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1356 Posts
    Posted: September 4, 2015, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

She even has her own Wikipedia page.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10389 Posts
      Posted: September 4, 2015, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Good find, mikeintexas.

What a 'claim to fame'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1356 Posts
        Posted: September 4, 2015, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, I've had that in my files along w/ loads of other links and information; I thought I might write an article for my blog about the pitfalls of being a lottery winner.  From my research, I've determined that the #1 danger is not from con artists bilking you out of your winnings or family members murdering you for your money, but from yourself and poor choices.  Ms. Adams wouldn't even be the poster child for that spot, however - Jack Whittaker or David Lee Edwards would beat her out for the "honor".  At least Adams' story, while sad, isn't as tragic as those two.

homestead
          United States
          Member #158182
          August 14, 2014
          137 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2015, 3:42 am - IP Logged

Maybe it's not a wise idea to give money out to former lotto winners who are broke because all they will do is blow the money once again. I thought that if I won the PB jackpot, I would commission a documentary on David Lee Edwards: His life story. Would anyone else do a documentary on David Lee Edwards from the time of his upbringing to his death?

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1547 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

The word, "NO", must be learned by winners and said frequently. It is a powerfull expression. 

No one knows how long their life will be.

I agree with Mikeintexas.  I will talk with my CPA before giving.  Hiring a Private Investigator is a possibility.

I cannot save the World. Jesus Christ is doing that. 

Happy Labor Day !!Lurking

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

new jersey
              United States
              Member #150815
              December 31, 2013
              513 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

no  who  u  kidding  u  want  to  help  these  people  give  me  a  break   if  u  had  the  money   u  would  not  help  them,

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                50995 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2015, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

When they had all their money, did they send any my way? NO!  The lottery winners spent their money how they wanted and, I will do likewise (should I ever get the opportunity)!

There are far more deserving people to assist!

I Agree! Family First Not Feckless Lottery Winners That Lost Their Fortune!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                  Member #106134
                  February 13, 2011
                  806 Posts
                  Posted: September 7, 2015, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

They're winners!  All they need to do is go buy more tickets and win more jackpots!  Duh!

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                    Happy California
                    United States
                    Member #157856
                    August 2, 2014
                    1547 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2015, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

river26, Please learn from the experience of past lottery winners. Jack Whittaker said,"I should have been more secluded about it". "I wish I had torn up the ticket".  "If you start giving your money away then everyone has their hands out and I mean everyone".

I agree with mikeintexas. "You can become your own enemy when giving it away".

When do lottery winners make the news ?  When they do stupid stuff.

You cannot fulfill everybody's dream.  You will be a millionaire, not a billionaire.

Disapprove

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb