Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Helping Former Lottery Winners

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 1 year ago by music*.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: September 4, 2015, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I understand your sympathy for people,I do too....when you cant even win grocery money in the state you live in you seem to be a little stingy,I help homeless people all the time here where I live,I got blessed out by a guy on exit 4 Briley parkway in Nashville last week,I didnt have cash so he blessed me out, for him not having rent money,like it's my fault....He said to me I hope your happy I will be homeless next week...I was thinking dude I dont give a crap,treating me like that...those kind of people I dont help and wouldnt..But as far as giving money to strangers that get themselves in those dark places,,,no I wouldnt....It's like playing the Lottery in Tennessee,,stop before you are homeless yourself.

Blessed out?  First time I've heard that phrase.  LOL

I'd call it scammed.  I'll bet you a million pennies that he got into a late model SUV after the afternoon rush hour garnered him a hundred bucks or more and drove to his middle class home that evening to BBQ steaks in the back yard.  So many of these panhandlers make a good living doing it.  They have grubby clothes and a sad story they put on just to elicit emotions.  Don't let them try to guilt you into giving your hard-earned money.

To the original question:  Absolutely not!  I have my own people I would help, and my own non-profits to give to.  No way I'd throw money at someone who already had a huge amount and lost it.  9 times out of 10, they will lose whatever you give them.  Some people just can't have money.  They find a way to be broke if it kills them, then come back with their hands out.

NYC
    United States
    Member #161115
    November 17, 2014
    126 Posts
    Posted: September 4, 2015, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

There are millions of  other people who are broke and struggling to get by. Why should Tiffany be an exception to receive any handouts. She was living a pretty good life when her father won. From living in a mansion, going to private school, having maids, butlers and a private jet.

And you want to give her a trust fund.

gif

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
      Member #164603
      March 8, 2015
      639 Posts
      Posted: September 4, 2015, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

No way, they got lucky and then got greedy/dumb.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: September 4, 2015, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I'll also say no, if they blew it before they'll blow it again.

There's a woman in NJ who won a jackpot, blew it all, won another jackpot, blew that and lives in a trailer on social security.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          639 Posts
          Posted: September 4, 2015, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

There's a woman in NJ who won a jackpot, blew it all, won another jackpot, blew that and lives in a trailer on social security.

And in her and most other cases (presumably) helping her with more money would just repeat the cycle.

Clearly they are not fit to make sound financial decisions.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
            JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
            Member #141034
            April 2, 2013
            1419 Posts
            Posted: September 4, 2015, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

You must be joking, right?

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
              Member #141034
              April 2, 2013
              1419 Posts
              Posted: September 4, 2015, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

$50 Mil doesn't go as far as you might think.  While it reflects well on you as a person to have these generous impulses, you wouldn't want to be an object of pity yourself after going broke helping others.  And if you think any of your beneficiaries would turn around and give some back -- Ha!

I Agree!Well said.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7341 Posts
                Posted: September 4, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

If you happen to win, let's say $50 Million to $100 Million Lottery, would you be willing to help out a former Lottery Winner whose now broke by giving them around $1 Million to help them out like Tiffany Edwards (daughter of Powerball Winner David Edwards)? I felt so bad about her situation that I feel a lottery winner should help her out with a Trust Fund. 

Another person who I would love to help out if I win the lottery is Marva Wilson who got conned out of her money. I would love to give her around $2 Million. Would you have done the same for her?

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/woman-wins-2-million-in-lottery-now-broke-after-fraud-scheme-costs-her-thousands

If you happen to win, let's say $50 to $100, would you be willing to help out a former Lottery Winner who will be just as broke even if you give them your entire winnings?

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                  Pittsburg, Ks
                  United States
                  Member #3382
                  January 17, 2004
                  83022 Posts
                  Posted: September 4, 2015, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

$50 Mil doesn't go as far as you might think.  While it reflects well on you as a person to have these generous impulses, you wouldn't want to be an object of pity yourself after going broke helping others.  And if you think any of your beneficiaries would turn around and give some back -- Ha!

When I retired I got a serverance check over $36K after taxes and  $46K in my 401K. Then I statred buying cars and vans for my sister and boyfriend. I also helped a Filipina(female) friend with two other friend's of hers pay her hospital bill when she sick in Beijing. I only paid a 3rd of that thanks to the other two. Again last year I bought my sister a truck. i helped my friend from the Philippines more than my sister or me. i also paid over $4,000 in medical bills last year. Right now I paying on $7,000 hospital bill which I could have paid off but didn't because of being a "nice guy". I have now just over $6,000 in my IRA

God Bless America

US Flag

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19895 Posts
                    Posted: September 4, 2015, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

If you happen to win, let's say $50 to $100, would you be willing to help out a former Lottery Winner who will be just as broke even if you give them your entire winnings?

Apparently a darthfury78 from homestead, United States would be willing to help with his/her winnings.  Remember that name and location if you ever hear of he/she winning a lottery jackpot. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3316 Posts
                      Posted: September 4, 2015, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

this does remind me of the  idea I had, of buying lots of $1 entries  into mega  or powerball; well $2 for powerball. and when being asked for money, handing out tickets. yeah i could prob afford that after winning a jackpot,. If i got any complaints id ask for my ticket back.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
                        Member #167255
                        July 2, 2015
                        102 Posts
                        Posted: September 4, 2015, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

When they had all their money, did they send any my way? NO!  The lottery winners spent their money how they wanted and, I will do likewise (should I ever get the opportunity)!

There are far more deserving people to assist!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                          TX
                          United States
                          Member #121193
                          January 4, 2012
                          1637 Posts
                          Posted: September 4, 2015, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

I have one word for that idea.....

GORMLESS

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
                            Member #167255
                            July 2, 2015
                            102 Posts
                            Posted: September 4, 2015, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Hi Coin Toss Smile

Please tell your kidding!  This is a joke right?  - The woman in NJ.

United States
                              Member #167255
                              July 2, 2015
                              102 Posts
                              Posted: September 4, 2015, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

I have one word for that idea.....

GORMLESS

Gormless! I'll go along with that!  I learned a new word tonight!

Thanks CDanaT! Smile