Pennsylvania Lottery seeking volunteer witnesses on evening drawing show

Oct 3, 2015, 9:49 pm (24 comments)

Pennsylvania Lottery

Includes video report

HARRISBURG, Pa. — The Pennsylvania Lottery is looking for volunteers who are Pennsylvania residents over the age of 55 to appear as witnesses on the evening drawing show in Harrisburg. 

Witnesses perform different functions on two consecutive evenings, and will appear on-camera one of those days. The process lasts approximately 2.5 hours and starts at 5 p.m. each night.

All witness are directly involved in the selection of the drawing machines and ball sets used for drawings. They also observe all pre-drawing and post-drawing tests.

"Serving as a drawing show witness is more than just a chance to be on TV; witnesses represent the public interest by helping to ensure the security and integrity of our drawings," said Lottery Executive Director Drew Svitko. "We sincerely appreciate the participation of all of our witnesses since we started televising drawings 38 years ago."

The evening drawing includes all PICK games and Cash 5. It also features the Match 6 Lotto drawing on Mondays and Thursdays.

The nightly drawings are held at WITF Studios, 4801 Lindle Road, Harrisburg.

Witnesses are responsible for providing their own transportation and, if necessary, lodging.

For more information or to sign up, call the Pennsylvania Lottery at 717-702-8067, or send an email to RA-lot-drawing@pa.gov.

VIDEO: Behind the scenes of Pa. Lottery drawings

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

JezzVim

They SHOULD be PAID!!   Why do it for free?   Give me a break!!

itpmguru's avataritpmguru

Quote: Originally posted by JezzVim on Oct 3, 2015

Because if they were paid, someone could call it a bribe to get them to say all is "above board and honest".  Wish we could get school staff to supervise drawings here in NC.  Things are getting out of hand and very corrupt within the North Carolina (So-called) Education Lottery.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skeptical

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by JezzVim on Oct 3, 2015

That is ridiculous.  Why on earth would you want to lottery to take money away from prizes for paying people to witness drawings?  You seriously need to think before writing.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Why over 55?  at first I thought it might be because the 55+ crowd could play the lottery when PA started televising 38 years ago - then I did the math and unless they allowed 17 year olds to purchase tickets then...

So I'm still with my question.  Why over 55?

... although I would volunteer if I were a PA resident (which I amn't).  It could be kind of fun.

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Wish we had something like this here in Ohio. I would volunteer in a heart beat! I  don't understand though why 55+? That age group doesn't have more integrity than other age groups.  Sounds discriminatory. 

My guess is it's a security issue and that their security team can take down senior citizens easier than they could someone in a younger age group since were dealing with machines that produce billions for the lotto people...lol

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Oct 4, 2015

Why over 55?  at first I thought it might be because the 55+ crowd could play the lottery when PA started televising 38 years ago - then I did the math and unless they allowed 17 year olds to purchase tickets then...

So I'm still with my question.  Why over 55?

... although I would volunteer if I were a PA resident (which I amn't).  It could be kind of fun.

B/C in PA. lottery proceeds benefit Seniors, not minors.

They used to have them actively participate in the draw, then one time a ball was mishandled,

don't recall the details, it was long ago.

After that they decided to make them witnesses.

sully16's avatarsully16

I think it would be fun to watch the process.

dr65's avatardr65

I like the idea of 55 and older. Since some of the profits benefit seniors it seems

fitting to let that age group...aof a few years prior to it...participate in the workings.

I wouldn't like seeing some 20 something standing there. Even though they might play 

it seems best to keep it at a more aged, seasoned group. It works.

dr65's avatardr65

Todd, I'm glad that video was worked in! It is entertaining and informative.

Tony Numbers's avatarTony Numbers

Maybe they volunteer thinking it might help their number selections. It would be great if state lotteries would make the test drawing results available.

Ron5995

How does one become a Day drawing witness? Confused

Recently, televised evening drawings moved from Philadelphia ABC WPVI 6 to Fox WTXF 29. I get the sense PA Lottery wanted more time allotted than what 6 ABC was willing to provide. It seems the PA Lottery is increasingly using the evening draw to mainly advertise lottery products with the numbers selection being secondary. It seems only a matter of time before PA evening draws switch over to computer RND too.

On a related topic, numbers games are treated with much disdain by some lotteries with the latest numbers buried on another page. PA Lottery, one must click a link. Likewise with Texas (a small link at the upper left top) and California (very hidden; pull down under Win menu). NJ and NY get it right.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Oct 4, 2015

That is ridiculous.  Why on earth would you want to lottery to take money away from prizes for paying people to witness drawings?  You seriously need to think before writing.

You sir, are being "ridiculous" in my humble opinion. Here's why. Somehow,someone is going to have to pay SOMETHING to be a volunteer(s) to perform those functions. Whether it's out of the volunteers/lottery pockets - travel, vehicle wear and tear, cab ride, bus fee, something is going to have to come out of someone's pocket. Asking someone to commit to volunteering at specified times without fail ??  Sorry Todd, I am not feeling that will happen without glitches. While it's nice in theory, the only way I could see that could possibly happening is if you had your volunteers (55 & over) living within walking distances, who were 100% trustworthy that would do this out of "love for the lottery". I have reservations that the lottery will just "allow volunteers" to come into their facility without having some background/security check/physical inspection(perhaps with issued ID's). It may not be a pay check to an employee but there will always be costs to having volunteers performing functions affiliated with a government controlled business. How do I know this ? I worked at a government controlled business that had "volunteers". Those volunteers cost the taxpayers and definitely weren't free.
I am leaving off your last line as a matter of professional courtesy.

JezzVim

The Officials get PAID that runs the PA Lottery, the Woman or Man that draws the numbers get PAID, everyone involved with the PA Lottery gets PAID.... Correct? 

So the lil guy that witness the drawing has to PAY for lodging, travel and his time is not valued??  Doesn't make sense to me. 

No, it is called taking advantage of people.   

dr65's avatardr65

LMFAO!

You have got to be kidding me.

You bean counters are out of control. I'd like to see a survey of the individuals who have

given their time and participated as witnesses to a PA lottery drawing...the survey would be

titled:

Did you ever expect to be paid for the privilege of being behind the scenes and aiding

with one of the biggest and most exciting operations in Pennsylvania?

I say again: LMFAO

There has got to be a signature required on a form stressing without a doubt that there will

be no compensation given for agreeing to be a witness.

Who cares..until you two, jezz and dana, brought it up??

Taxpayers??? What fraction of your penny  are you concerned about? The 1/1 billionth

that might be used for all the 'extra costs' being a volunteer involve???

If you really want to split hairs, if there are such costs that anyone cares about that you

suggest are being stolen from the taxpayers to make witness participation possible,

it is MINIMAL. So what...

My gosh, without the people calling foul, primarily because of taxes, what would the world be like?

Kaptainess, you can change a name but you can't change ridiculous views I see.

This time, I agree with Todd. It is ridiculous.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC

A few years back MO lottery made a video showing the process they use.  The random number generator

is located in a glass room and the operator is shadowed by another person while under the eye of several

cameras.   Impressive but did not help as we still have to trust that the RNG code has not been tampered

with.  Sometimes I think that when they go to these lengths to show everything is above board it's because

they know it's not.  Magicians make livings hiding things right in front of us and sometimes they even have a

few people from the crowd up front and close witnessing the whole thing. 

Most likely, it's just for entertainment and a means to draw in more players.   55 years and up, these are the

ones who play the most.  Kids are gone, house is paid for, and many are still working so they have extra cash.

We trust our own age group because the younger generation is, well, kind of, not what we consider as being

very, ummmmm, well you get the point. 

RL

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Oct 4, 2015

LMFAO!

You have got to be kidding me.

You bean counters are out of control. I'd like to see a survey of the individuals who have

given their time and participated as witnesses to a PA lottery drawing...the survey would be

titled:

Did you ever expect to be paid for the privilege of being behind the scenes and aiding

with one of the biggest and most exciting operations in Pennsylvania?

I say again: LMFAO

There has got to be a signature required on a form stressing without a doubt that there will

be no compensation given for agreeing to be a witness.

Who cares..until you two, jezz and dana, brought it up??

Taxpayers??? What fraction of your penny  are you concerned about? The 1/1 billionth

that might be used for all the 'extra costs' being a volunteer involve???

If you really want to split hairs, if there are such costs that anyone cares about that you

suggest are being stolen from the taxpayers to make witness participation possible,

it is MINIMAL. So what...

My gosh, without the people calling foul, primarily because of taxes, what would the world be like?

Kaptainess, you can change a name but you can't change ridiculous views I see.

This time, I agree with Todd. It is ridiculous.

dr65,

I did not bring up the subject of "compensation given for agreeing to be a witness". In fact, upon commenting on Todd's words and I quote," Why on earth would you want to lottery to take money away from prizes for paying people to witness drawings."  I was only commenting on costs that take money away from prizes.

As far as "fraction of your money" is concerned. NONE,I don't play the PA Lottery and have zero intent to.

"if there are such costs that anyone cares about that you suggest are being stolen from the taxpayers to make witness participation possible".
I did not mention the word "stolen" at all. You did that and you are the only person to type the word "stolen" that I have seen. I did not even suggest that anything was "stolen".

My whole point was based on " take money away from prizes".  I merely pointed out that having volunteers is going to cost money and as you put it,"if there are such costs"......I want to thank you for pointing out the the form that will need a signature.That has to be created and reviewed(probably by an Attorney). Someone will probably have to be in charge of the scheduling of these volunteers because of the " two consecutive evenings" and someone will probably have to be responsible if a volunteer doesn't/can't make it for the nights they are scheduled. Reasonableness would ensure that documentation would need signatures each night those volunteers participate and all the other requirements for retaining those documents, etc. etc..

If that's being a "bean counter" then so be it. I can live with that.  It would be interesting to see exactly how many volunteers that are behind the scenes, but the article did not mention that number.
I do wonder why the PA lottery is needing volunteers ??.. after all, as you stated about wanting to see a survey of the individuals that have or are volunteering that "would be titled", "Did you ever expect to be paid for the privilege of being behind the  scenes and aiding with one of the biggest and most exciting operations in Pennsylvania".

Even though that's your words on the fictitious survey,I would think with that much excitement about the PA lottery they would have volunteers beating down their doors from word of mouth from current volunteers/employees.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Oct 4, 2015

You sir, are being "ridiculous" in my humble opinion. Here's why. Somehow,someone is going to have to pay SOMETHING to be a volunteer(s) to perform those functions. Whether it's out of the volunteers/lottery pockets - travel, vehicle wear and tear, cab ride, bus fee, something is going to have to come out of someone's pocket. Asking someone to commit to volunteering at specified times without fail ??  Sorry Todd, I am not feeling that will happen without glitches. While it's nice in theory, the only way I could see that could possibly happening is if you had your volunteers (55 & over) living within walking distances, who were 100% trustworthy that would do this out of "love for the lottery". I have reservations that the lottery will just "allow volunteers" to come into their facility without having some background/security check/physical inspection(perhaps with issued ID's). It may not be a pay check to an employee but there will always be costs to having volunteers performing functions affiliated with a government controlled business. How do I know this ? I worked at a government controlled business that had "volunteers". Those volunteers cost the taxpayers and definitely weren't free.
I am leaving off your last line as a matter of professional courtesy.

I'm surprised on your take on this issue, because normally you are the type of person who lets the market decide, and not so quick to tell a corporation (in this case the state lottery) what to do.  After all, if the lottery can enlist the help of witnesses without paying them, wouldn't that make sense to do?

The lottery has not had a problem getting witnesses for 30+ years now.  That's all money that is not wasted paying people for something they would gladly do for free.  (I would find it fascinating to do myself one day.)  And there is no evidence whatsoever of "glitches".  I can't even imagine what "glitches" could arise simply because people are not being paid to witness the drawing.  If anything, leaving money out of the equation removes the complications that money can add.

Your position is basically that the lottery should be forced to create a new paid job position of "witness", and I completely disagree with you.  The PA Lottery is doing a great job with this whole thing:  Being very transparent about what goes on with drawings, and providing a way for lottery enthusiasts to get involved, while not taking any money away from the games.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Ron5995 on Oct 4, 2015

How does one become a Day drawing witness? Confused

Recently, televised evening drawings moved from Philadelphia ABC WPVI 6 to Fox WTXF 29. I get the sense PA Lottery wanted more time allotted than what 6 ABC was willing to provide. It seems the PA Lottery is increasingly using the evening draw to mainly advertise lottery products with the numbers selection being secondary. It seems only a matter of time before PA evening draws switch over to computer RND too.

On a related topic, numbers games are treated with much disdain by some lotteries with the latest numbers buried on another page. PA Lottery, one must click a link. Likewise with Texas (a small link at the upper left top) and California (very hidden; pull down under Win menu). NJ and NY get it right.

Yeah, this biggest weakness of PA drawings:  the DAY drawing.  Because that's computerized.  As good a PA is with the evening drawings, they're doing the wrong thing with the day draws.

As a lottery player, at least you can avoid computerized drawings by sticking with the evening drawings.  Most computerized states you have no way to avoid them.

noise-gate

Merriam- Webster dictionary defines a Volunteer as...

: a person who chooses to join the military.

: a person who does work without getting paid to do it .Approve

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Oct 4, 2015

I'm surprised on your take on this issue, because normally you are the type of person who lets the market decide, and not so quick to tell a corporation (in this case the state lottery) what to do.  After all, if the lottery can enlist the help of witnesses without paying them, wouldn't that make sense to do?

The lottery has not had a problem getting witnesses for 30+ years now.  That's all money that is not wasted paying people for something they would gladly do for free.  (I would find it fascinating to do myself one day.)  And there is no evidence whatsoever of "glitches".  I can't even imagine what "glitches" could arise simply because people are not being paid to witness the drawing.  If anything, leaving money out of the equation removes the complications that money can add.

Your position is basically that the lottery should be forced to create a new paid job position of "witness", and I completely disagree with you.  The PA Lottery is doing a great job with this whole thing:  Being very transparent about what goes on with drawings, and providing a way for lottery enthusiasts to get involved, while not taking any money away from the games.

Todd,
It's ok to have a different view on this. Getting volunteers to to participate in various social situations is always great. As I stated before and I will stand by,is that volunteers do cost something to have on hand. I personally don't want any volunteer as a"witness representing the public interest by helping to ensure the integrity and security of our drawings" as your main article suggests.
Congrats to them to having no issues for 30 + years. That is no guarantee for the future. Are the volunteers checked out before being allowed in for their respective duties ? Or do they let in anyone to do these duties ? My point being that if there is no money spent on these folks then you aren't "taking away from the prize money". But as a government disciple, I am pretty sure they must to spend some money on vetting these volunteers to ensure they aren't a con artist,slip and fall prestidigitator, thief or some other immoral,unethical person that will have part of the lottery draws. It sure wouldn't look too good for public relations having a known convicted felon as a"witness to ensure integrity and security" by being a volunteer in my humble opinion. You especially have talked about  integrity & honesty with the lottery process. How can you be sure that a volunteer possesses those facets without spending money to have them checked out ?
While it's not the lottery in my state, it doesn't affect me one bit and it's just my 2 cents on this issue. I wish them much continued success with their little or no cost volunteer program.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Oct 4, 2015

Todd,
It's ok to have a different view on this. Getting volunteers to to participate in various social situations is always great. As I stated before and I will stand by,is that volunteers do cost something to have on hand. I personally don't want any volunteer as a"witness representing the public interest by helping to ensure the integrity and security of our drawings" as your main article suggests.
Congrats to them to having no issues for 30 + years. That is no guarantee for the future. Are the volunteers checked out before being allowed in for their respective duties ? Or do they let in anyone to do these duties ? My point being that if there is no money spent on these folks then you aren't "taking away from the prize money". But as a government disciple, I am pretty sure they must to spend some money on vetting these volunteers to ensure they aren't a con artist,slip and fall prestidigitator, thief or some other immoral,unethical person that will have part of the lottery draws. It sure wouldn't look too good for public relations having a known convicted felon as a"witness to ensure integrity and security" by being a volunteer in my humble opinion. You especially have talked about  integrity & honesty with the lottery process. How can you be sure that a volunteer possesses those facets without spending money to have them checked out ?
While it's not the lottery in my state, it doesn't affect me one bit and it's just my 2 cents on this issue. I wish them much continued success with their little or no cost volunteer program.

Paying the witnesses does not solve any of the issues you stated.  Also, you and I have no idea that the lottery does or doesn't vet witness to see if they have a criminal background.  Maybe you can write to the lottery if that concerns you and let us all know what they say.

The sentence you mentioned in your reply was a quotation from the PA Lottery's Executive Director, not something opined by me.  Journalism states facts and quotes from actual participants.  That is what this article does.  I am not aware of anyone who thinks that the volunteer witnesses decreases the security of the drawings, so naturally there are no quotes from people with this view.  And the quote from the Exec. Director seems appropriate, given that the object of witnesses is to increase security and transparency of the drawings.  I seriously don't understand your objections, they don't make sense to me.

Regardless, I would agree that it is OK to have different views on this.  Anyone at Lottery Post has always been welcome to disagree on any subject, whether or not I personally agree or disagree with them.  Likewise, everyone knows that on certain topics I speak my mind, and nobody should take it as a personal affront if I disagree with them.  In these cases I'm just another forum participant with an opinion.  I defend and argue my positions with the same verve and civility that I would expect anyone else to.

jarasan's avatarjarasan

Do you know Tennessee is the volunteer state?  They should have done this first.

See Ya!

KY Lottery

Hey folks! If any of you are in (or near) KY and would like to see a drawing, just give us a call. Our draw studio is open for both the midday and evening drawings if you'd like to see the process - just call us at (502) 560-1500 to let us know you'd like to be here. We welcome visitors. And you may be surprised if you call your state lottery and ask to attend a drawing - depending on their security restrictions, a number of states will welcome you in to take a look!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story