Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How LOW can ILLINOIS Go -- Pretty LOW

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 1 year ago by realtorjim.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
Elgin, IL
United States
Member #68867
January 1, 2009
1224 Posts
Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Illinois Lottery officials say payment for all winnings over $600 will be delayed due to the Illinois budget impasse.

The lottery's check writing account is expected to be depleted as of Thursday and no authority can replenish it until a budget is passed, lottery officials said in a written statement. Lottery players who win $600 or less can still receive their prizes at retail locations.

THIS REALLY TAKES THE CAKE...............................................................................

NO MORE LOTTERY FOR ILLINOIS AS FAR AS I AM CONCERN.....................................

IS BANKRUPTCY A SOLUTION FOR ILLINOIS????   WHO KNOWS............   ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.........................

Lottery to delay payouts to winners over $600 due to state budget impasse

Illinois lottery
Illinois lottery
Anthony Souffle / Chicago Tribune

The state's budget impasse means even more lottery winners will be given IOUs.

The state's budget impasse means even more lottery winners will be given IOUs.(Anthony Souffle / Chicago Tribune)

Angie Leventis LourgosContact ReporterChicago Tribune
    psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5143 Posts
    Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:30 am - IP Logged

The Repugs must be in CHARGE of th budget or maby they stole all the MONEY<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Thud  Thinking of...Thud

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:41 am - IP Logged

butch2030,

This would be a great time for someone to win the MM or PB and bring national attention to this.

It's like their intentionally trying to get the lottery to self destruct.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
        Member #81314
        October 16, 2009
        19427 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Shame, Shame, Shame.No No

The Struggle is real!

Elgin, IL
          United States
          Member #68867
          January 1, 2009
          1224 Posts
          Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Informed my wife I am going to Wisconsin to buy my Tickets from now on.  As far as I am concern, an I.O.U. is just a means to let you know that they owe you some money.  It is not a guarantee that you will ever get paid...............

Let see, taxes will be coming up in a few more months, and if I owe anything, I will send them an I.O.U. as a good faith message...........

I am sure it will make the national news by tomorrow morning or should I say Later on today...........................

And about their Halloween Raffle Tickets -  Trick Or Treat  ANYBODY.......................................

As the old saying goes, they can take it in, but they can't dish it out........... MONEY that is....................................

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51112 Posts
            Posted: October 15, 2015, 7:16 am - IP Logged

Place the blame where it belongs, not the Illinois Lottery, who is being victimized as much as the Illinois Resident's.

The Illinois General Assembly failed to pass a balanced budget for the new fiscal year, which starts on July 1. That means the state cannot spend money on any programs or services requiring an annual appropriation. There's a lot of uncertainty about what this means, with predictions ranging from "most people won't notice" to "Armageddon".

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
              USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1095 Posts
              Posted: October 15, 2015, 10:36 am - IP Logged

This is just another reason to take the lump sum cash payout in any state. Who knows what the financial situation will be like in 10-20 years so having your entire payout upfront is a no brainier.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2015, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Raven62,
                No other state has done this. Lotteries pay out from what they take in so it's odd that this happened.

I'm afraid the next step is going to be no payments - the only thing players will be able to do is scan their tickets in machines that give credits for winners and they can only be used to buy more tickets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Elgin, IL
                  United States
                  Member #68867
                  January 1, 2009
                  1224 Posts
                  Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:09 am - IP Logged

The Illinois Lottery is good, but who controls the purse strings.  The Illinois General Assembly gave birth to the Illinois Lottery & now they are killing it.  In business, it is like discarding a subsidiary.  The board of directors make the final decision as they have controlling interest.  The subsidiary might have been profitable, but they do not make the final decision.  As a share holder, I might not like their decision.  But I have to make a decision on whether or not to sell the stock. In a case like this, I am selling my shares of stock & investing it somewhere else where it is more profitable (Like Wisconsin).  They have the same product for sale & they offer a better return on my money.  5% sales tax vs. 6.125% in Illinois. It's a more sound investment for my money.  I might Love the Illinois State Lottery, but I will not take an I.O.U from their Bd of Directors.  The Bd of Directors is telling their shareholders if you don't like it,  go somewhere else.  Well, I am off to some where else to buy shares in another company with the same product.  In the long run, it is known as the cost of doing business.  The business made their decision & I am now making mine...................................................................

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    51112 Posts
                    Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Raven62,
                    No other state has done this. Lotteries pay out from what they take in so it's odd that this happened.

I'm afraid the next step is going to be no payments - the only thing players will be able to do is scan their tickets in machines that give credits for winners and they can only be used to buy more tickets.

What you see is what you get when you're being ruled by tyranny.

When NJ shutdown the State because of the lack of an approved budget: the lottery continued with drawings for advanced ticket holders, but no one could purchase tickets or cash in winning tickets during the shutdown. It seems like Illinois is trying to keep things going the best they can.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                      USA
                      United States
                      Member #152799
                      February 25, 2014
                      1095 Posts
                      Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

The Repugs must be in CHARGE of th budget or maby they stole all the MONEY<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Thud  Thinking of...Thud

I hate to inform you that Democrats have been in charge for decades in Chicago, Illinois. Just recently a high ranking school board official was charged with taking multi-million dollar bribes and she was selected by none other than Obama's buddy Rahm Emanuel. 

Bottom line is that the state is completely corrupt and needs a complete overhaul.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                        Green Bay
                        United States
                        Member #169391
                        October 15, 2015
                        1279 Posts
                        Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

If Illinois declares bankruptcy, what happens to the lottery winners?

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                          Member #149820
                          December 9, 2013
                          644 Posts
                          Posted: October 15, 2015, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Lol now they're handing out I.O.U.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                            Dallas, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #4549
                            May 2, 2004
                            1834 Posts
                            Posted: October 15, 2015, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Illinois Lottery officials say payment for all winnings over $600 will be delayed due to the Illinois budget impasse.

The lottery's check writing account is expected to be depleted as of Thursday and no authority can replenish it until a budget is passed, lottery officials said in a written statement. Lottery players who win $600 or less can still receive their prizes at retail locations.

THIS REALLY TAKES THE CAKE...............................................................................

NO MORE LOTTERY FOR ILLINOIS AS FAR AS I AM CONCERN.....................................

IS BANKRUPTCY A SOLUTION FOR ILLINOIS????   WHO KNOWS............   ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.........................

Lottery to delay payouts to winners over $600 due to state budget impasse

Illinois lottery
                            Illinois lottery
                            Anthony Souffle / Chicago Tribune

The state's budget impasse means even more lottery winners will be given IOUs.

The state's budget impasse means even more lottery winners will be given IOUs.(Anthony Souffle / Chicago Tribune)

Angie Leventis LourgosContact ReporterChicago Tribune

The problem I see is the things being said, and the things not being said.

In the national release it reads....

“Payment delays will occur because there currently is no legal authority for the Illinois Comptroller or the Illinois Lottery to issue checks,” the Illinois Lottery said in a statement. “Please note that the funding to pay winners exists, but the legal authority to issue checks does not.”

Same article Illinois Comptroller, Leslie Munger....

"This decision came down to choosing the least of a number of bad options and it saddens me that we've reached this point. But the fact is thatour state simply does not have the revenue to meet its obligations," Munger said.

Which is it? Do the funds exist or not?

Bet your last losing ticket all that money is being put in an interest earning account. Who is going to get that money?

Meanwhile everybody is slinging pointless Democrat/Republican bias across the internet.

People are rightfully calling for a boycott of the lottery when the real means to  a quick remedy is to organize the ticket sellers to quit selling tickets. Cut off the lottery money coming in and watch how fast you get a budget passed. 

Be sure every state lottery has their eye on this situation.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                              United States
                              Member #4924
                              June 3, 2004
                              5970 Posts
                              Posted: October 15, 2015, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

The problem I see is the things being said, and the things not being said.

In the national release it reads....

“Payment delays will occur because there currently is no legal authority for the Illinois Comptroller or the Illinois Lottery to issue checks,” the Illinois Lottery said in a statement. “Please note that the funding to pay winners exists, but the legal authority to issue checks does not.”

Same article Illinois Comptroller, Leslie Munger....

"This decision came down to choosing the least of a number of bad options and it saddens me that we've reached this point. But the fact is thatour state simply does not have the revenue to meet its obligations," Munger said.

Which is it? Do the funds exist or not?

Bet your last losing ticket all that money is being put in an interest earning account. Who is going to get that money?

Meanwhile everybody is slinging pointless Democrat/Republican bias across the internet.

People are rightfully calling for a boycott of the lottery when the real means to  a quick remedy is to organize the ticket sellers to quit selling tickets. Cut off the lottery money coming in and watch how fast you get a budget passed. 

Be sure every state lottery has their eye on this situation.

My question was and still is. Who controls the lottery revenue? How many different hands are in the till? That money should never be used , except for paying the lottery winners. This is just like the Social Security fund, the Transportation fund, together those trust funds, each and every year has surplus in the billions. The boys in Washington, raid the funds each and every year.