Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How LOW can ILLINOIS Go -- Pretty LOW

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 1 year ago by realtorjim.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
Texas Panhandle
United States
Member #136843
December 20, 2012
1270 Posts
Posted: October 16, 2015, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I would urge the LP members from Illinois to contact their state legislators. You can find your senator in this list: Current Senate Members, and your district representative on this one: Current House Members. You can also find that information on this website, as well as the district you reside in if you don't know.

Click on the appropriate link and you'll find their phone and FAX numbers as well as mailing address. I did not see an email address, but that's easy enough to find out, just input their name into your search engine of choice and I'm sure it can be found. (I tried a couple and succeeded with both)

That said, I've read that a phone call or snail mail works better than email. (that link pertains to contacting Congress, but I'm sure it would apply to the Illinois legislature as well) Also from that website is this: ....keep in mind to be formal and to the point or your letter may be ignored. Include your ground mail address in the body of the email because most Congressmembers only respond to their constituency. Your letter should go to your Senator or Representative and should be no longer than one page; two brief paragraphs are best. Identify yourself, your affiliation, and your major concern in the first paragraph. You should describe why the concern is important and worthwhile in the second paragraph. End with your postal address. Keep it concise!

Will it do any good? I don't know, I'd like to have faith that our elected representatives listen to us and that the democratic process works, but I do know complaining about it on a lottery forum won't do any better.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #165541
    April 12, 2015
    541 Posts
    Posted: October 16, 2015, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Even though it's obvious the problem is with the General Assembly, several LP members are still blaming the Illinois Lottery as are the Illinois players. Because of other priorities, the Lottery will probably be the last agency funded when they do finally pass a budget.

I thought the players funded the lottery agency?

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2015, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

"While I generally discourage out of state lottery purchasing, IL lottery players would be wise to stop playing or buy out of state. Getting hit with some extra tax due to an out of state win beats not getting paid at all and/or playing a corrupt lottery game in which the odds of winning may far worse than advertised."

If you buy your tickets in another state. You pay state tax to that state and not your home state.  If I buy my winning ticket in WI, I file a Federal Return, & two State Returns. One for earned income in the St of IL & another for the earned income in the ST of WI where I bought my ticket.  You have to file where you earned your income.  By buying your ticket in another state - (say WI), IL in my case loses out on the revenue of the sale & does not collect any taxes on the winning.  The state that sold the ticket will make out on both revenue from the sale of the ticket & reap the state tax from the winner.  By buying my ticket in WI, I pay a state tax of 5% vs  a 6.125% tax if I bought my ticket in IL.  The difference of 1.125% tax turns into Millions if a Jackpot Prize is over 100 Million dollars.  Look at it this way- If I won a MM Jackpot worth 300Million I would save myself over 3 million dollars by buying my ticket in WI vs IL.

My understanding is that as long as you are a resident, you still owe your own state income tax, although they will give you you credit for what you paid to the other state where you earned your income.

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
        Member #167255
        July 2, 2015
        102 Posts
        Posted: October 18, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi All,  Smile

I am confused.  Il Lottery claims they have the lottery winnings to pay out to the winners but, they don't have the money to  pay someone whose job it is, to write out the checks????

IF, I understand correctly, that is what they are claiming.  IF, this is correct then, my response to that is: BULL!

Something does not add up here. If everything was on the up-and- up, one would think that to save face, someone would allow and pay the person whose job it is, to write out the checks.  - The state of Il would find the money in the budget to pay that person's job.  If the state of Il is claiming they can't afford to pay the salary to someone to write the checks then, how is it that everyone else is getting paid?

How is it that Il is allowed to sell PB, MM and any other multi-state game? They won't pay out but, they sure would expect everyone to pay in if there were to be an IL winner(s).  That wouldn't be fair.

If I got it all wrong, will someone please briefly explain it to me?  I don't understand where (who has) the money the state of IL took in and why they are withholding it from the winners.

To Il lottery players, wow! Sorry!  If I lived in IL, I would drive across the border and play anywhere outside the state of Il.

How is the state of IL going to gain back public trust when they get this cleared up?  Or, can they?

I think the whole situation clearly drives home the point that taking the cash option is the only safe option!

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
          Member #169277
          October 10, 2015
          630 Posts
          Posted: October 18, 2015, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I'll take a stab at it,as I understand it.  They have the money.  It is the comptrollers job to write the checks. The comptroller is authorized to make payments by the legislature as part of the annual budget. No budget yet = no authority to write checks.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
            Member #106923
            February 27, 2011
            476 Posts
            Posted: October 22, 2015, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

My understanding is that as long as you are a resident, you still owe your own state income tax, although they will give you you credit for what you paid to the other state where you earned your income.

Thumbs Up  A person will pay the higher tax rate between the state purchased in versus the state lived in.  As ArizonaDream stated, a credit will be given from the lived in state for taxes paid to another state, but the difference in tax rates will then be collected by the live in state if tax rate exceeds that of the the purchase state.  If the purchase state tax rate exceeds the tax rate of the live in state then the live in state will give full credit for their tax rate amount paid to the purchase state but the excess between two will not receive credit and is paid and retained by the purchase state.  Did I state this right?  If not completely ignore!

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              476 Posts
              Posted: October 22, 2015, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I'll take a stab at it,as I understand it.  They have the money.  It is the comptrollers job to write the checks. The comptroller is authorized to make payments by the legislature as part of the annual budget. No budget yet = no authority to write checks.

Your Honor, while what the prosecution has stated may be true in material fact, that of my not paying federal taxes to the State of Illinois, my basis is justifiable by precedence of procedural law.  As comptroller of my house I do indeed write the checks to clear debit accounts, including this case brought forth, however, as comptroller I am only permitted to write the checks, not authorize them.  My wife performs this legislative duty and has not, as of to date, approved the annual budget thereby clearing the path for me to perform my duties as comptroller.  While I do acknowledge the legitimacy of the claim, and the availability of funds to satisfy, I stress I cannot go beyond my legally sanctioned functions as comptroller to draw upon the established account with release to remedy without approbation from the aforementioned named legislative body to do so.  I do apologize to the courts and will, upon budget approval and receipt of written confirmation to proceed, write a check immediately.  I thank you for your understanding and time your Honor.

Poke

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!