Mass. grandmother wins second $1 million lottery prize

Nov 15, 2015, 2:52 pm (19 comments)

Massachusetts Lottery

A grandmother won $1 million on a scratch ticket at the very same Massachusetts grocery store where she won the same prize almost 20 years ago.

"I'm lucky, what can I say?" Constance Carpenito said with a laugh. "You've got to be lucky to win a million twice."

Carpenito — who struck it rich on a $20 Massachusetts State Lottery "$10,000,000 Diamond Millionaire" scratch ticket that also offers $1 million payouts — is chalking up her improbable repeat win to her commitment to playing the lottery at her "lucky" Stop & Shop on Main Street in Stoneham.

Carpenito won $1 million on a $5 ticket purchased at the same supermarket in 1996 — six weeks after winning a $20,000 prize.

"That was the first win — six weeks after that I won the million," Carpenito said. "So now I'm waiting for the next one six weeks from now."?Carpenito chose the cash option on her prize and received a one-time payment of $650,000. The store will receive a $10,000 bonus for its sale.

"Ever since I hit the million I've been playing at my lucky store once a week and it's really paid off," Carpenito said. "Every week I play my $20."

Stop & Shop spokesman Phil Tracey called Carpenito "one lucky lady."

"Our new motto is 'My Stop & Shop,'" Tracey said. "She really brings 'My Stop & Shop' to life."

Carpenito said she will use her winnings to ensure her three children and five grandchildren have an extra-special Christmas this year.

"I'm planning to help them all have a great Christmas," Carpenito said. "I'll make sure of that."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Thanks to Zenner for the tip.

Boston Herald, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

That store is going to turn into a "hotspot". Congrats granny!!!.

ArizonaDream's avatarArizonaDream

$20 a week for 20 years, she deserves the win for persistance. 

Congrats!

LiveInGreenBay's avatarLiveInGreenBay

Quote: Originally posted by ArizonaDream on Nov 15, 2015

$20 a week for 20 years, she deserves the win for persistance. 

Congrats!

Nice return on her money.  We should all be that lucky.

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

Sweet!

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congratulations to Constance !! She is very lucky and blessed. Merry Christmas to her as well.

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

She would be the kind to win............twice.

morgothaod's avatarmorgothaod

Do you need a man in your life Ms. Carpenito?

Artist77's avatarArtist77

She looks like a happy grandma.

Shelby Mustang

Well Merry Christmas to her lol. Keep it up grandma win til you don't win no more!!!

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Grandma Santa's  grandkids will have a very nice Christmas this year if she isn't a scrooge with her $.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

1M$ 20 yrs ago, 1M$ now.  very nice.  that should hold them throughout their retirement unless they splurge too much!

Gleno's avatarGleno

Maybe I should reconsider buying some of my tickets from the Stop and Shop in the next town over,

along with the local Acme Market ?

Coffee

Bleudog101

So happy for this obviously sweet lady, keep on winning and passing it forward!!

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Persistent Responsible Playing Gets Results!

plumsage's avatarplumsage

Congrats Grandma!!!!  You did your thang!!!

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by plumsage on Nov 16, 2015

Congrats Grandma!!!!  You did your thang!!!

Speaking of Massachusetts, went to Season Ticket page on their website...Powerball is on there along with Mega Millions, Lucky for Life and Mega Bucks Doubler.

Check with envelope to my Brother there for Powerball; it is so nice to get seven weeks free with this sale from 16 NOV 15-02 JAN 16.

Good luck everyone!

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the lucky Granny.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation 2x Thumbs Up

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

Wow ! Talk about your 15 minutes of fame......TWICE !   

Excellent !!!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story