Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My thoughts on the lottery

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 12 months ago by zephbe.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: November 20, 2015, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone. A few days ago I got into a brief discussion with my co-worker about the lottery. Was mentioning how I want nothing more than a lottery win to be able to retire and be financially secure but that I would have more luck being hit by lightning or something like that than winning the lottery, I was having a bad at work when I made this comment. My co-worker says she buys 1 ticket for every PB and MM draw and feels you can't win if you don't play. Though I agree with the concept that you can't win if you don't play, realize you can play for years and still win nothing. I've mentioned in other posts that my budgeting for the lottery has really made a difference and how nice it is to just go into a store and buy groceries or get gas and not buy a lottery ticket. In the past if I didn't buy a ticket for PB or MM I felt like I lost a chance to win, no longer think that way. There will always be another lottery draw so going weeks on end and not buying a ticket just makes me have more money in my pocket. The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink instead of buying a PB with the Powerplay. For those few minutes of eating I was happy, it's the little things in life I get enjoyment out of.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
    Texas
    United States
    Member #150797
    December 31, 2013
    815 Posts
    Posted: November 20, 2015, 7:50 am - IP Logged

You are wise, shyguitar.  You can't buy a win and, yes, there will always be another lottery draw!  Congratulations on achieving a sensible balance between the lottery and other aspects of your life.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
      Member #133462
      September 30, 2012
      5946 Posts
      Posted: November 20, 2015, 7:51 am - IP Logged

All of us play to win and recognize at the same time it may never happen. What you could do in these weeks you are not thowing a few bucks at the jackpot is to begin working on a strategy to give yourself another option besides QPs.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2015, 7:58 am - IP Logged

You are wise, shyguitar.  You can't buy a win and, yes, there will always be another lottery draw!  Congratulations on achieving a sensible balance between the lottery and other aspects of your life.

Thanks for your positive comment.

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2015, 8:02 am - IP Logged

All of us play to win and recognize at the same time it may never happen. What you could do in these weeks you are not thowing a few bucks at the jackpot is to begin working on a strategy to give yourself another option besides QPs.

The few times I haven't used quick picks I actually did better win wise. The problem with picking my own numbers was quite time consuming trying to check so many past draws to see where certain numbers came up. I also never want to have a set of numbers to play where I get caught up feeling I can't miss a play or those numbers will be drawn the one time I don't play. Much less stress to just play QP's. Also more people win playing QP's.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            554 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2015, 10:59 am - IP Logged

The few times I haven't used quick picks I actually did better win wise. The problem with picking my own numbers was quite time consuming trying to check so many past draws to see where certain numbers came up. I also never want to have a set of numbers to play where I get caught up feeling I can't miss a play or those numbers will be drawn the one time I don't play. Much less stress to just play QP's. Also more people win playing QP's.

If it stops being fun, you are right to stop it.  To continue playing will only create stress for you. 

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
              Member #118609
              November 4, 2011
              931 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2015, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

The feeling of not playing my own picked numbers and having them come up is the exact reason I play qp!

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                Greenville, SC
                United States
                Member #169870
                November 4, 2015
                374 Posts
                Posted: November 20, 2015, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Some people play when the jackpots get high. Nothing wrong if you use that strategy.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                  Lavender Rocket

United States
                  Member #124616
                  March 16, 2012
                  2642 Posts
                  Posted: November 20, 2015, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone. A few days ago I got into a brief discussion with my co-worker about the lottery. Was mentioning how I want nothing more than a lottery win to be able to retire and be financially secure but that I would have more luck being hit by lightning or something like that than winning the lottery, I was having a bad at work when I made this comment. My co-worker says she buys 1 ticket for every PB and MM draw and feels you can't win if you don't play. Though I agree with the concept that you can't win if you don't play, realize you can play for years and still win nothing. I've mentioned in other posts that my budgeting for the lottery has really made a difference and how nice it is to just go into a store and buy groceries or get gas and not buy a lottery ticket. In the past if I didn't buy a ticket for PB or MM I felt like I lost a chance to win, no longer think that way. There will always be another lottery draw so going weeks on end and not buying a ticket just makes me have more money in my pocket. The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink instead of buying a PB with the Powerplay. For those few minutes of eating I was happy, it's the little things in life I get enjoyment out of.

Congratulations on finding the perfect blend of lottery and life for you!  I hope that the lottery plays you do purchase bring you joy and peace.  Stay strong and don't let your co-workers shake you in your determination to maintain the balance you are working so hard to achieve!  Nice going!

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2015, 3:05 am - IP Logged

"you can't win if you don't play"

True enough, but you can't lose if you don't play. Considering the most likely outcome of playing one of those statements makes much more sense than the other as a guide for whether or not you should play.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19817 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2015, 6:45 am - IP Logged

"The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink......"

Have you tied their 4 for $4 meal?  That's a real bargain and I save enough for a couple of extra lottery tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:09 am - IP Logged

If it stops being fun, you are right to stop it.  To continue playing will only create stress for you. 

i understand what you mean about the fact that if it stops being fun to stop. For myself the stress was when I tried picking my own numbers and the time consuming process that was. Quick Picks only for me now. When looking back on those 3 years of being addicted to playing the lottery and these past few years of being back in control of my life in a positive way has been a blessing. Now my playing is on the sporadic side and fun can be in the picture.

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:10 am - IP Logged

The feeling of not playing my own picked numbers and having them come up is the exact reason I play qp!

Glad you agree with why I play QP's.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4784 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:12 am - IP Logged

Well it sounds like you realize you have a gambling issue but I sense you are still trying to convince yourself your problem is under control. If you have to worry about $3, you should stay away from all lottery related things.

But I am glad no one here, unlike other times, encouraged you to keep playing. When you said your coworker plays, you were seeking approval from people to keep playing which tells me you have a long ways to go. I believe in tough love and I think you would still be unhappy if you won a jp. There are support groups that you may want to research. I recall a number of posts from you since I have been a member which contradict your claims of being in control...and they are fairly recent posts.Please be honest with yourself.  Good luck.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:12 am - IP Logged

Some people play when the jackpots get high. Nothing wrong if you use that strategy.

It's a way to save money by just playing when the jackpots are high or at least waiting every few weeks or more before buying a ticket.