Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My thoughts on the lottery

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 1 year ago by zephbe.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Congratulations on finding the perfect blend of lottery and life for you!  I hope that the lottery plays you do purchase bring you joy and peace.  Stay strong and don't let your co-workers shake you in your determination to maintain the balance you are working so hard to achieve!  Nice going!

Thanks for your kind words. Hava a good handle on playing responsibly and that has made a world of difference in my life. Good luck to you.

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:20 am - IP Logged

"you can't win if you don't play"

True enough, but you can't lose if you don't play. Considering the most likely outcome of playing one of those statements makes much more sense than the other as a guide for whether or not you should play.

When I mentioned that statement it was my co-worker who brought it up and yes you are right you can't lose if you don't play but nothing wrong with buying the occasional lottery ticket just in a case a win does occur.

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:26 am - IP Logged

"The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink......"

Have you tied their 4 for $4 meal?  That's a real bargain and I save enough for a couple of extra lottery tickets.

I have seen their 4 dollar meal and besides the fact that it's too much food for me I don't like their chicken McNuggets and not a fan of their burgers. I prefer their fries and chicken sandwich. The great thing about Wendy's is the fact that they were the first fast food place to start the value menu. Years ago I would buy their 1 dollar chili and make my own tacos with it. Agree with your statement of being a great bargain and glad you are able to save enough to buy a couple of extra lottery tickets.

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:49 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone. A few days ago I got into a brief discussion with my co-worker about the lottery. Was mentioning how I want nothing more than a lottery win to be able to retire and be financially secure but that I would have more luck being hit by lightning or something like that than winning the lottery, I was having a bad at work when I made this comment. My co-worker says she buys 1 ticket for every PB and MM draw and feels you can't win if you don't play. Though I agree with the concept that you can't win if you don't play, realize you can play for years and still win nothing. I've mentioned in other posts that my budgeting for the lottery has really made a difference and how nice it is to just go into a store and buy groceries or get gas and not buy a lottery ticket. In the past if I didn't buy a ticket for PB or MM I felt like I lost a chance to win, no longer think that way. There will always be another lottery draw so going weeks on end and not buying a ticket just makes me have more money in my pocket. The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink instead of buying a PB with the Powerplay. For those few minutes of eating I was happy, it's the little things in life I get enjoyment out of.

shyguitar

Just my thoughts ... I don't know what state you reside in or if you have a lottery budget ... or could have a lottery budget ... say maybe $100 a year.

First I will say, it's the same thing with me in my head:

01 you must have a ticket to win ... which is very true.

02 you hate to miss a drawing ... an opportunity gone forever.

So what to do ... instead of the "big games", like MM and PB ... consider playing the best game in your state with the best or better odds. Maybe you live near the state line of a bordering state that has a great lottery game for a dollar.

If you have a 6/49 game with odds of 1 in 13,983,816 and if you can play for $1 then you spend $104 a year, you will probably win some money during the year ... so a $100 budget will work just fine.

You have a shot at some decent money with better odds and you can still go to Wendy's or Subway on a regular basis.

Now if you really want to play a 6/49 game very cheap for less than $100 for a whole year ... the actual price at this time is $90 for a whole year of play. The game can be played by anyone living anywhere in the country.

The MA Lottery has their Holiday Special going for their 6/49 game ... Megabucks Doubler.

The normal price for a subscription is $100 but the Holiday Special price is $90 plus a $4 UPS shipping charge. Get a QP set of numbers or play your own numbers for a whole year ... just let it ride.

You don't have to get involved in too much brain work or worry ... you can still eat out on a regular basis, sleep good at night and actually forget about the lottery for a whole year!

... and who knows, you might actually win something along the way.

MA Lottery

Season Tickets

Players can purchase tickets for 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. When you win, a check comes directly in the mail to your house, with the exception of jackpot prizes.

SPECIAL HOLIDAY PRICING

NOVEMBER 15, 2015 through January 2, 2016

SEASON TICKETS MAKE GREAT GIFTS!

Megabucks Double is a $1 wager and is drawn two times a week. Tickets can be purchased in 3-month , 6-month , and 1-year increments.

1 Year Season Ticket = $100 (regular price)

(104 drawings)Discounted price $90-SAVE $14

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
          Member #106923
          February 27, 2011
          479 Posts
          Posted: November 21, 2015, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

"you can't win if you don't play"

True enough, but you can't lose if you don't play. Considering the most likely outcome of playing one of those statements makes much more sense than the other as a guide for whether or not you should play.

I think the real consideration is if someone is playing the lottery as entertainment with the hope of winning versus someone playing the lottery in desperation as a last hope.  If someone plays for the latter reasoning then they should not be playing because it will only deepen regression and increase depression.  Remember "play" is defined as; engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose. 

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4963 Posts
            Posted: November 21, 2015, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I think the real consideration is if someone is playing the lottery as entertainment with the hope of winning versus someone playing the lottery in desperation as a last hope.  If someone plays for the latter reasoning then they should not be playing because it will only deepen regression and increase depression.  Remember "play" is defined as; engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose. 

Exactly!

J'aime La France.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
              Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: November 21, 2015, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

QP's can be programmed in a way. A reason for me not to play qps. The loss of money is the stress, if you would win net every time, this would turn into a job without lifting or sitting ... . I did not play when I was young, I went to see movies. That was much more relaxing, zero stress and no numbers or programs stuck in my mind. ... They mentioned people winning with qps just to make those popular. With today's lotto at double price and with more numbers and lower payouts for the small prices, I don't think that it can be played without stress. Loosing is playing, or playing is loosing. ...

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2015, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

"you hate to miss a drawing ... an opportunity gone forever."

There's always another opportunity. It usually comes along within a week, and most of the time it's a better opportunity. I get that people think they need to play when their numbers come up, but I believe that the act of playing or not playing means the outcome is almost certainly different. It's very easy to see many things that will be different depending on whether or not you play, so I see absolutely no reason to think that one particular event has to remain the same. If you believe there's some kind of fate involved that requires those numbers to come up, why wouldn't you also think that the decision to play or not is also governed by the same fate -  either you're destined to win or you're destined to lose.

Then there's the entire issue of the need to play. Hating to miss a drawing is just part of the same spectrum as needing to not miss it. If you really feel a need to play you're an addict. If you hate to miss a drawing you might not be addicted yet, but you're already headed down that path.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7343 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2015, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone. A few days ago I got into a brief discussion with my co-worker about the lottery. Was mentioning how I want nothing more than a lottery win to be able to retire and be financially secure but that I would have more luck being hit by lightning or something like that than winning the lottery, I was having a bad at work when I made this comment. My co-worker says she buys 1 ticket for every PB and MM draw and feels you can't win if you don't play. Though I agree with the concept that you can't win if you don't play, realize you can play for years and still win nothing. I've mentioned in other posts that my budgeting for the lottery has really made a difference and how nice it is to just go into a store and buy groceries or get gas and not buy a lottery ticket. In the past if I didn't buy a ticket for PB or MM I felt like I lost a chance to win, no longer think that way. There will always be another lottery draw so going weeks on end and not buying a ticket just makes me have more money in my pocket. The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink instead of buying a PB with the Powerplay. For those few minutes of eating I was happy, it's the little things in life I get enjoyment out of.

"Was mentioning how I want nothing more than a lottery win to be able to retire and be financially secure but that I would have more luck being hit by lightning or something like that than winning the lottery, I was having a bad at work when I made this comment."

After almost four years of membership and over 500 posts, you should have a better understanding of how difficult winning a large lottery jackpot really is than the average lottery player. But maybe you forget or missed the matrix changes and need a refresher, MM is 1:258,890,850 and its 1:292,201,338 for a $2 PB ticket. Nobody can realistically believe they have a good chance of winning either jackpot and at 1:18,492,204 for matching five numbers in MM and 1:11,688,054 in PB, winning the $1 million secondary prizes is unrealistic too.

"The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink instead of buying a PB with the Powerplay. "

I learned many years ago to have fun playing lottery games and always play within my means. If you're playing to win enough to "retire and be financially secure", you're probably wasting an extra $1 on Powerplay because the jackpot is the same and the second prize only doubles no matter what the multiplier is. And just the fact you're comparing buying lunch with buying a lottery ticket has me wondering if maybe you should reconsider playing jackpot games.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                    JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                    Member #141034
                    April 2, 2013
                    1419 Posts
                    Posted: November 22, 2015, 12:41 am - IP Logged

If you want to live a happy life, CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE !!!. Life is full of compromises. If you like to play the lottery that much but can't afford to, then get a second job, cut down on the smokes, booze and food. Trying to win the lottery so you can retire, when you haven't even saved enough money to play the lottery, sounds like a losing proposition. Maybe this is your way of communicating to us that you have a gambling problem. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND TRY TO HAVE SOME MONEY IN YOUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT FIRST.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: November 22, 2015, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar

Just my thoughts ... I don't know what state you reside in or if you have a lottery budget ... or could have a lottery budget ... say maybe $100 a year.

First I will say, it's the same thing with me in my head:

01 you must have a ticket to win ... which is very true.

02 you hate to miss a drawing ... an opportunity gone forever.

So what to do ... instead of the "big games", like MM and PB ... consider playing the best game in your state with the best or better odds. Maybe you live near the state line of a bordering state that has a great lottery game for a dollar.

If you have a 6/49 game with odds of 1 in 13,983,816 and if you can play for $1 then you spend $104 a year, you will probably win some money during the year ... so a $100 budget will work just fine.

You have a shot at some decent money with better odds and you can still go to Wendy's or Subway on a regular basis.

Now if you really want to play a 6/49 game very cheap for less than $100 for a whole year ... the actual price at this time is $90 for a whole year of play. The game can be played by anyone living anywhere in the country.

The MA Lottery has their Holiday Special going for their 6/49 game ... Megabucks Doubler.

The normal price for a subscription is $100 but the Holiday Special price is $90 plus a $4 UPS shipping charge. Get a QP set of numbers or play your own numbers for a whole year ... just let it ride.

You don't have to get involved in too much brain work or worry ... you can still eat out on a regular basis, sleep good at night and actually forget about the lottery for a whole year!

... and who knows, you might actually win something along the way.

MA Lottery

Season Tickets

Players can purchase tickets for 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. When you win, a check comes directly in the mail to your house, with the exception of jackpot prizes.

SPECIAL HOLIDAY PRICING

NOVEMBER 15, 2015 through January 2, 2016

SEASON TICKETS MAKE GREAT GIFTS!

Megabucks Double is a $1 wager and is drawn two times a week. Tickets can be purchased in 3-month , 6-month , and 1-year increments.

1 Year Season Ticket = $100 (regular price)

(104 drawings)Discounted price $90-SAVE $14

You mentioned playing the best game in my state instead of MM and PB. My states 6/49 game is Megabucks Doubler the one you mentioned. I don't like 6/49 games and even though the matrix has less numbers the only way to win a decent prize would be to win the jackpot buy getting all 6 numbers which like other jackpot games is impossible. You have to buy a season ticket for that game or you can't get the doubler for the other few prizes. There is Mass Cash the 5/35 game but you can't even win a prize unless you get 3 numbers. Granted the jackpot of 100k would be nice to win and the ticket price is just a dollar but only one time did I get 3 numbers for a 10 dollar prize so I don't play that anymore. Like playing Lucky For Life the multi state game since you can win 3 dollars for getting two numbers correct and that happens often for me.

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2015, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

"you hate to miss a drawing ... an opportunity gone forever."

There's always another opportunity. It usually comes along within a week, and most of the time it's a better opportunity. I get that people think they need to play when their numbers come up, but I believe that the act of playing or not playing means the outcome is almost certainly different. It's very easy to see many things that will be different depending on whether or not you play, so I see absolutely no reason to think that one particular event has to remain the same. If you believe there's some kind of fate involved that requires those numbers to come up, why wouldn't you also think that the decision to play or not is also governed by the same fate -  either you're destined to win or you're destined to lose.

Then there's the entire issue of the need to play. Hating to miss a drawing is just part of the same spectrum as needing to not miss it. If you really feel a need to play you're an addict. If you hate to miss a drawing you might not be addicted yet, but you're already headed down that path.

I just play QP's and no longer try picking my own numbers.

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2015, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

"Was mentioning how I want nothing more than a lottery win to be able to retire and be financially secure but that I would have more luck being hit by lightning or something like that than winning the lottery, I was having a bad at work when I made this comment."

After almost four years of membership and over 500 posts, you should have a better understanding of how difficult winning a large lottery jackpot really is than the average lottery player. But maybe you forget or missed the matrix changes and need a refresher, MM is 1:258,890,850 and its 1:292,201,338 for a $2 PB ticket. Nobody can realistically believe they have a good chance of winning either jackpot and at 1:18,492,204 for matching five numbers in MM and 1:11,688,054 in PB, winning the $1 million secondary prizes is unrealistic too.

"The other day I went to Wend'y's and spent 3 dollars (well with tax a few cents more) for a chicken sandwich fries and a drink instead of buying a PB with the Powerplay. "

I learned many years ago to have fun playing lottery games and always play within my means. If you're playing to win enough to "retire and be financially secure", you're probably wasting an extra $1 on Powerplay because the jackpot is the same and the second prize only doubles no matter what the multiplier is. And just the fact you're comparing buying lunch with buying a lottery ticket has me wondering if maybe you should reconsider playing jackpot games.

I am well aware of the odds of PB when the matrix changed. I have always said that winning the jackpot on PB or MM is impossible thereby I would be very happy winning a second or 3rd place prize with PB or MM. Let's face it this is a lottery site and I am not the only one playing PB and MM. It was only for 3 years that I had a lottery addiction and have been back on track budget wise for quite sometime. I went my entire life with the exception of those 3 years never having played the lottery and was very grateful I never threw out money for all the years I never played. Since I do not play PB often and rarely play MM then spending the extra dollar to increase my prize should I ever win a prize is totally worth it to me.

United States
                            Member #122468
                            February 1, 2012
                            530 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2015, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

If you want to live a happy life, CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE !!!. Life is full of compromises. If you like to play the lottery that much but can't afford to, then get a second job, cut down on the smokes, booze and food. Trying to win the lottery so you can retire, when you haven't even saved enough money to play the lottery, sounds like a losing proposition. Maybe this is your way of communicating to us that you have a gambling problem. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND TRY TO HAVE SOME MONEY IN YOUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT FIRST.

Did you not fully read my post? I have been on a budget lottery wise for quite awhile now. I have never smoked and only have had two alcoholic drinks my entire life. I have only been to a casino twice in my life. Sometimes I feel like I am just being bullied by people on this site. I try to post more positive things but for some reason people think I still have a gambling problem. I fully admitted my addiction to the lottery over a span of three years but have been on a budget for quite sometime now. This is a lottery site and people here play the lottery. I have always payed my bills before spending money on the lottery.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4963 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2015, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

No one is trying to bully you Shyguitar but your posts are often heart wrenching and people feel an obligation to give you common sense advice. Only last week you were seeking validation to buy 15 Megamillions tickets. You are the only member who references an unhappy life time and time again and people are asking you to be honest with yourself. I have not seen posts from any other member that causes me personal concern for them. Step back and reflect a bit.

J'aime La France.