Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:12 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does this hold weight in court?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 1 year ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Can family members sue for a share if you win using their birth dates.

Yes [ 3 ]  [6.38%]
No [ 30 ]  [63.83%]
WTF?! [ 14 ]  [29.79%]
Total Valid Votes [ 47 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
travelintrucker's avatar - morph
Greenville, SC
United States
Member #169870
November 4, 2015
374 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2015, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I was just thinking about this. I've never heard of it ever happening. Let's say you have to or are dumb enough to a give a press conference and you mention that you won using a combination of family member birth dates. You decide to be selfish and keep the money to yourself. Do they (your family members) have a claim to a share of the money for giving you inspiration to play those numbers. I had to buy another car because my old one died on me and didn't have time to get it fixed and keep my truck (company driver). It had been giving me trouble for awhile and probably was the best thing to do in the long run. Good luck to those playing Powerball tonight.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2015, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

No, it won't hold up in court. Also, if you win a jackpot, even if you want to keep every penny for yourself, that alone does not make you selfish. No one can tell you what to do with your own money.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NYC
      United States
      Member #161115
      November 17, 2014
      126 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2015, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Doubt that would up. Plus you can always say you lied about using family members numbers. Even if they show proof then it could be a  coincidence.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2015, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

I was just thinking about this. I've never heard of it ever happening. Let's say you have to or are dumb enough to a give a press conference and you mention that you won using a combination of family member birth dates. You decide to be selfish and keep the money to yourself. Do they (your family members) have a claim to a share of the money for giving you inspiration to play those numbers. I had to buy another car because my old one died on me and didn't have time to get it fixed and keep my truck (company driver). It had been giving me trouble for awhile and probably was the best thing to do in the long run. Good luck to those playing Powerball tonight.

"Let's say you have to or are dumb enough to a give a press conference and you mention that you won using a combination of family member birth dates. "

You're kidding, right?

"You decide to be selfish and keep the money to yourself. Do they (your family members) have a claim to a share of the money for giving you inspiration to play those numbers."

That makes less sense than your first statement. Do you expect unselfish jackpot winners to distribute their winnings to all the other players sharing the same birthday or anniversary?

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51139 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2015, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

You'll be O.K. if you follow these Golden Rules:

1. Worry about things you can control and change by your actions not about what is beyond your capacity to alter or direct.

2. Examine your life, engage it with a vengeance and search for new destinies and pleasures to reach with your mind.

3. Treasure true friendships since they cannot be acquired in the market place but can only be nurtured in relationships full of amity and trust.

4. Master yourself and resists outside forces that try to delimit your thought and actions, cease from deceiving yourself.

5. Live a balanced life and avoid excesses.

6. Act responsibly and stop blame shifting for your shortcomings and errors.

7. Prosperity is not a cure-all by itself; money is necessary but not a sufficient condition to live a good life full of wisdom and happiness.

8. Do not seek to harm others or repay evil with evil.

9. Kindness will always be rewarded in the long run.

10. You can learn something from everyone.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
            JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
            Member #141034
            April 2, 2013
            1419 Posts
            Posted: December 13, 2015, 2:52 am - IP Logged

This is the good ol' U.S.of A. Anybody can try to sue you for anything.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3316 Posts
              Posted: December 13, 2015, 4:33 am - IP Logged

i said no, but they can try a  decent dose of nagging to try and persuade you to give em some.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3113 Posts
                Posted: December 13, 2015, 8:00 am - IP Logged

I'd say no provided you didn't give them credit for their "assistance" in helping you win.  ie: I owe it all to them and their lucky birthday numbers without which I could never have won.  Falls into the same category as telling everyone at the bar you will buy them new cars of their choice when you win Powerball.  There is still such a thing as a verbal contract before witnesses.  Not that I'm a legal beagle, that's my opinion, who knows I could be right.

BobP

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4976 Posts
                  Posted: December 13, 2015, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Beyond the "inspiration" concern (unlikely), I'd be more concerned with a family member in your hypothetical, claiming you'd share or take care of them.

J'aime La France.

United States
                    Member #163298
                    January 25, 2015
                    176 Posts
                    Posted: December 13, 2015, 8:55 am - IP Logged

Too funny! Just give them all $.01. You should have enough to do that. That way you did what you said you would do! Plus you did not say how much you were givenSmash. Courts decision. Sorry had to put my one cent in!!!

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                      Greenville, SC
                      United States
                      Member #169870
                      November 4, 2015
                      374 Posts
                      Posted: December 13, 2015, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I'm not saying anyone would. I just posed a hypothetical situation. I wouldn't put it pass someone to try to make that kind of claim in court. People can pretty much sue you for anything. I don't see how either of those statments didn't make sense. Some states require you to participate in a press conference. Some don't; but some winners choose to participate or aren't informed about their options. Solomon Jackson, a SC winner, went public when he could've stayed anonymous. Jonathan Vargas, another SC winner won using mostly birth dates. He could've left town with the cash without helping anyone. No, I don't expect. Anyone to share prize money with just anyone that shares the same birthday as the numbers drawn. You weren't aware of their existance and didn't know when they were born. So, it wouldn't make sense for that particular person to make a claim that they gave you inspiration to play their birth date as part of the combination of lottery numbers.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                        Cordova,Al.
                        United States
                        Member #104482
                        January 15, 2011
                        5423 Posts
                        Posted: December 13, 2015, 11:06 am - IP Logged

No Way. Your family members could stake a claim. Green laugh

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1203 Posts
                          Posted: December 13, 2015, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I agree with Stack and that's the reason I gave you one star. It's a good question because we live in a highly litigious society, but your phrasing needs work. Because:

1. How is it dumb to give a press conference if it's a requirement of being paid? 
                          2. Why is it selfish to not randomly throw money at people just because you share some DNA?

That being said, no one has a claim on your winnings unless you had an agreement to share the funds. Doesn't matter what numbers you use. Yes they may sue you, but that alone will not hold up as a claim. Not to mention what a slippery slope it would create. However, if they said you had an agreement to split any winnings and the proof of that is you used their birthdays, that'll be a different story.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                            Happy California
                            United States
                            Member #157856
                            August 2, 2014
                            1550 Posts
                            Posted: December 13, 2015, 11:54 am - IP Logged

It depends upon how much I win. According to the law, I can only give another person $14,000.00 per year. Tax-free, Federal tax. If I give someone more than that then I will owe gift tax. I think that the tax rate for gifts above $14,000 is 40%. If you are married that amount increases to $28,000.00 

Maybe the New Year will bring in a change to $15,000.00. 

Cool Good luck to all LP Members and Staff.

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

United States
                              Member #149820
                              December 9, 2013
                              644 Posts
                              Posted: December 13, 2015, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Probably not but it won't keep people from trying lol. I heard of crazy lottery lawsuits...one I heard was a woman asked her son's friends to pray she won the lottery and when she did he sued her for a cut...like I said...crazy