Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you use for statistical analysis?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 8 months ago by CajunWin4.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What tools do you use?

pencil and paper [ 16 ]  [29.09%]
excel or other spreadsheet [ 11 ]  [20.00%]
excel + macros [ 3 ]  [5.45%]
database package [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
self-written software [ 6 ]  [10.91%]
commercial software (PC or MAC) [ 5 ]  [9.09%]
website subscription [ 1 ]  [1.82%]
more than 1 of the above [ 8 ]  [14.55%]
none of the above [ 5 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 55 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
Member #169277
October 10, 2015
630 Posts
Posted: December 20, 2015, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Question for those of you who take a statistical approach to analysing the numbers, what tools do you use?  (Looking for hot numbers, cold numbers, average days out, etc.) How about for building and backtesting a system? 

Please name the tools in this thread, if it's something purchased. 

I'm using OpenCalc (excel-like spreadsheet) and use simple formulas, but want to expand my capabilities.

Idaho
    United States
    Member #76087
    June 18, 2009
    859 Posts
    Posted: December 20, 2015, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I use Microsoft Word to build spreadsheets.  For what I do it's sufficient.  I developed my own system, which is really all about sorting and observing.  Although I love math, I use no special formulas and no higher math.  I sort and observe, sort and observe.  Oh, and I color code based on number frequency.  Color really helps me.

La Maga Della Spaziometria

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
      New Mexico
      United States
      Member #86099
      January 29, 2010
      11116 Posts
      Posted: December 20, 2015, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I use Microsoft Word to build spreadsheets.  For what I do it's sufficient.  I developed my own system, which is really all about sorting and observing.  Although I love math, I use no special formulas and no higher math.  I sort and observe, sort and observe.  Oh, and I color code based on number frequency.  Color really helps me.

Great idea!

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

Idaho
        United States
        Member #76087
        June 18, 2009
        859 Posts
        Posted: December 20, 2015, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Great idea!

It's a mix of scientific process and intuition, measurement and getting a 'feel' for the flow.  I have Synesthesia so all the numbers are colorful characters to me.  Hey, it brings in the cash so I can't complain.

United States
          Member #169277
          October 10, 2015
          630 Posts
          Posted: December 20, 2015, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I do color coding too. I want to at least learn how to write macros to do it for me to save some time, and avoid errors.

Idaho
            United States
            Member #76087
            June 18, 2009
            859 Posts
            Posted: December 20, 2015, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I do color coding too. I want to at least learn how to write macros to do it for me to save some time, and avoid errors.

I love color coding for the quick visual impact, the way it helps deliver info to my memory banks.  I'm sure a Neurologist would have better terminology for this, but I'm betting you know what I mean since you use it too.  I am always looking for ways to organize the data so I can see patterns and commit it to memory.

Lincoln, California
              United States
              Member #167130
              June 27, 2015
              256 Posts
              Posted: December 21, 2015, 8:03 am - IP Logged

In Excel use conditional formatting.  Newer versions allow enough conditions to cover all 10 numbers,  Older versions only allow 3.  Conditions can be set as value matching or use formulas.

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
                Athens
                Greece
                Member #133234
                September 24, 2012
                188 Posts
                Posted: December 21, 2015, 10:32 am - IP Logged

My own programs written in ASSEMBLY and C *mostly*.

I do download shareware and trial lottery programs to check them out; I even bought 4 of them through the years. Still, If you're a lottery player for over 20 years and a programmer, you can write what you really need. Nothing beats that.

*After* the 'reduction' that some 'common' filters output like High / Low, Odd / Even, Same Last Digits, Sums etc, I reduce the combinations to a playable amount depending on how much money I would like to play. The 'Reduction Engine' takes care of that and provides the final playable lines.

6/49 dis(assembly)

lottolot's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                  Tanhauser Gates
                  Holy See (Vatican City State)
                  Member #139281
                  February 18, 2013
                  173 Posts
                  Posted: December 21, 2015, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Hello Arizona Dream:

These some of your last comments about "Neural Net Lottery Picker":

"I had another P3 win last night (on paper only). P4 isn't producing results. I've had one 3/5 and multiple 2/5 hits (again just on paper) on LD lotto."

"I had my 2nd Pick 3 win (on paper) yesterday. I've also had multiple 2/5 "wins" of LD lotto"

"62% prize ratio on all games, 96% on P3 alone, not beating the house advantage, but pretty darn interesting"

My question is:

With so many amazing matches, still do you look for statistical analysis?LOL

CheersThumbs Up

Quincy
                    United States
                    Member #170331
                    November 26, 2015
                    1 Posts
                    Posted: December 21, 2015, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I user Google sheets (spreadsheet) and Sqlite (database) for backtesting

United States
                      Member #169277
                      October 10, 2015
                      630 Posts
                      Posted: December 21, 2015, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Hello Arizona Dream:

These some of your last comments about "Neural Net Lottery Picker":

"I had another P3 win last night (on paper only). P4 isn't producing results. I've had one 3/5 and multiple 2/5 hits (again just on paper) on LD lotto."

"I had my 2nd Pick 3 win (on paper) yesterday. I've also had multiple 2/5 "wins" of LD lotto"

"62% prize ratio on all games, 96% on P3 alone, not beating the house advantage, but pretty darn interesting"

My question is:

With so many amazing matches, still do you look for statistical analysis?LOL

CheersThumbs Up

1. The NN was beating the game odds, but not by enough to be profitable over the "house" advantage. 
                      2. I started seeing an interesting pattern in LD lotto. and my self picks are currently more consistant than the NN at picking 2/5 matches. But I need to improve to start getting some 3/5 hits at least to break even.  (2/5 only pays $1).   
                      3. Everything else being equal, I'd prefer to play a system I understand over a "black box" NN that I don't entirely. 
                        lottolot's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                        Tanhauser Gates
                        Holy See (Vatican City State)
                        Member #139281
                        February 18, 2013
                        173 Posts
                        Posted: December 22, 2015, 3:54 am - IP Logged
                        1. The NN was beating the game odds, but not by enough to be profitable over the "house" advantage. 
                        2. I started seeing an interesting pattern in LD lotto. and my self picks are currently more consistant than the NN at picking 2/5 matches. But I need to improve to start getting some 3/5 hits at least to break even.  (2/5 only pays $1).   
                        3. Everything else being equal, I'd prefer to play a system I understand over a "black box" NN that I don't entirely. 

O.K.

Thanks for your answer.

Happy Christmas.Wink

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #150797
                          December 31, 2013
                          815 Posts
                          Posted: December 22, 2015, 7:43 am - IP Logged

I also use Excel.  If I come across an idea that I like I just build it into my spreadsheet.  This has a few advantages:

1. Keeps everything in one place
                          2. I know what I am getting, rather than using "black box" software
                          3. Color coding is easy with conditional formatting, as AllenB has pointed out.
                          4. Challenges my brain.  I am always learning new ways to use Excel to get the results I want.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                            Economy class
                            Belgium
                            Member #123700
                            February 27, 2012
                            4035 Posts
                            Posted: December 22, 2015, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Question for those of you who take a statistical approach to analysing the numbers, what tools do you use?  (Looking for hot numbers, cold numbers, average days out, etc.) How about for building and backtesting a system? 

Please name the tools in this thread, if it's something purchased. 

I'm using OpenCalc (excel-like spreadsheet) and use simple formulas, but want to expand my capabilities.

I developed Daily 3 California more than a bit and think that I did a very good job. The link: LINK .
                            It doesn't have anything of a black box, it is clear. There are no mystery picks. Eventually you lack of mathematical knowledge or research, or you felt to some  scam and don't get the correctly free displayed data. Normally you would pay good $'s for this. The tool is pretty complete with charts to querying the data. You won't find this anywhere else on Internet. If you are unable to use this tool, then you are not worthy being a player and should play birthdays or quick picks.

Next to my website, I use Java, MS Office 2016 and anything I can use. Pen and paper are always good to make notes.

It is not about the tools, it is what you make of it. Besides, a quick pick can win too, but there is no sport in it. You want to lift that barbell and get the price for the effort you made!

Lincoln, California
                              United States
                              Member #167130
                              June 27, 2015
                              256 Posts
                              Posted: December 22, 2015, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

I also use Excel.  If I come across an idea that I like I just build it into my spreadsheet.  This has a few advantages:

1. Keeps everything in one place
                              2. I know what I am getting, rather than using "black box" software
                              3. Color coding is easy with conditional formatting, as AllenB has pointed out.
                              4. Challenges my brain.  I am always learning new ways to use Excel to get the results I want.

I also use Excel because I know exactly what I setup and how it works.  I have taken most of the processes that I have read about here on LP and incorporated them into workbooks.  I have workbooks for Pick3, Pick4, and Pick 5/39.  I have been focusing lately on Pick4 using Strings, Formulas, Hot, Cold, Odd, Even, Sums, Pairs, Mirrors, Position Changes.  My processes are scattered around my computer desktop like papers piled high enough to hid my real desk.  Eventually I will get them all combined into a workbook that spits out enough winners to be profitable (When I make the right decisions.). 

I always have to guess or select something to initiate the selection process.  My current work is to divide and concur.  I figure that the game requires 4 decisions each with 1:10 odds, that when made give me a 1:10,000 chance of winning (straight) 1:417 of winning (Box).  I have to make 4 correct decisions to win.  I work a different decision.  I reduce the decisions to 2 each with 1:5 odds.  My system has a large variation in the number of combinations that result from each decision.  I am also developing reference boxes feed by the decisions that have been getting box hits 2 out of 3 games.  I am working on positioning so that I can hit more straights. 

Someday..............