Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you use for statistical analysis?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 8 months ago by CajunWin4.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What tools do you use?

pencil and paper [ 16 ]  [29.09%]
excel or other spreadsheet [ 11 ]  [20.00%]
excel + macros [ 3 ]  [5.45%]
database package [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
self-written software [ 6 ]  [10.91%]
commercial software (PC or MAC) [ 5 ]  [9.09%]
website subscription [ 1 ]  [1.82%]
more than 1 of the above [ 8 ]  [14.55%]
none of the above [ 5 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 55 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2016, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Buy software that allows you to enter drawings. GL!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
    Member #59354
    March 13, 2008
    3962 Posts
    Posted: January 15, 2016, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Before I start a new matrix I generate a list of all the variables for every filter, digit etc.. that I will

be using.  I learn the overall percents each takes up within the matrix.  It's this list that gives me

the expected values to play before the first set is ever drawn.  If a value shows in 35% of the lines

within the matrix then I expect it to show in 35% of the live draws.   From that point it's all about

making good guesses as to when it will show.  That's the hard part.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

DCTreybil's avatar - actuarial I_w_caption_II_sized.jpg

United States
      Member #169613
      October 24, 2015
      11 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2016, 9:52 am - IP Logged

My own programs written in ASSEMBLY and C *mostly*.

I do download shareware and trial lottery programs to check them out; I even bought 4 of them through the years. Still, If you're a lottery player for over 20 years and a programmer, you can write what you really need. Nothing beats that.

*After* the 'reduction' that some 'common' filters output like High / Low, Odd / Even, Same Last Digits, Sums etc, I reduce the combinations to a playable amount depending on how much money I would like to play. The 'Reduction Engine' takes care of that and provides the final playable lines.

I also use code that I write.  I use Visual Basic and Visual C++.  I realize these languages are going by the wayside, but I've used these environments for 20 years and have no desire to go through the learning curve with Python or Ruby, assuming you can even write GUI programs in those languages.

Also, there is the matter of re-writing a rather large library of utilities - not a task that I savor . . .

I use VB where speed performance is not an issue.  VB will report errors in code when you finish typing a line.  That's handy.

I write my selection algorithms and count the successes and failures in one of those environments.  Results are saved in a generic file that is very easy to transfer to a spreadsheet where calculations unique to each algorithm can easily be set up.

I measure particular results.  If these results indicate a gain (rare) in chances of successful selection, I pursue an algorithm further.  If the results indicate no gain (odds neutrality) in chances of successful selection (as is the case in 99% of everything I've tried), the algorithm is eliminated from the search. 

Even algorithms that appear promising early on (maybe a 3 - 10x gain) break down when you try to enhance those gains.  A 3 - 10x gain sounds good, but realistically, it's unlikely to hit based on such gains.  Also, the 3 - 10x gains only occur maybe 1 in 20 times.  So even though the odds look good occasionally, overall, I suspect they are a net loss - which means the actual result is one more odds neutral algorithm . . .

If the universe can be seen in a grain of sand, then why not in a hand of cards, or a series of lotto selection algorithms?

backwoods ga
        United States
        Member #155844
        May 31, 2014
        1886 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2016, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I also use Excel because I know exactly what I setup and how it works.  I have taken most of the processes that I have read about here on LP and incorporated them into workbooks.  I have workbooks for Pick3, Pick4, and Pick 5/39.  I have been focusing lately on Pick4 using Strings, Formulas, Hot, Cold, Odd, Even, Sums, Pairs, Mirrors, Position Changes.  My processes are scattered around my computer desktop like papers piled high enough to hid my real desk.  Eventually I will get them all combined into a workbook that spits out enough winners to be profitable (When I make the right decisions.). 

I always have to guess or select something to initiate the selection process.  My current work is to divide and concur.  I figure that the game requires 4 decisions each with 1:10 odds, that when made give me a 1:10,000 chance of winning (straight) 1:417 of winning (Box).  I have to make 4 correct decisions to win.  I work a different decision.  I reduce the decisions to 2 each with 1:5 odds.  My system has a large variation in the number of combinations that result from each decision.  I am also developing reference boxes feed by the decisions that have been getting box hits 2 out of 3 games.  I am working on positioning so that I can hit more straights. 

Someday..............

Allen b. We think alike.

my name Lil Darryl   you got some Milk

Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

My first programming experience was html,  but I must have broken my fingers typing the < and > on the keyboard, many years ago. I tried free tutorials VB and VBA from Microsoft. My first steps with database and spreadsheets were done with MS Works. I saw no use for that at first, later I understood what it meant to have backups. Over the years you also learn that antivirus often means viruskeep and virus remember or attractor. (...) I started doing Lotto in Excel, later involved VBA. With time I found what it can do and what it cannot do, or what it simply should do. I found that there is something like SQL, and that can be combined to coding. There also is something like JSON and XML, next to CSV and TXT. Excel isn't all, but for somebody with starting interests in programming, cause that is what it is, it isn't your lotto, it does a lot up to everything. I leaned typing on Windows 95 with a small program that I bought. I think that I dragged my documents into the trash can, recycle bin? I took the computer to the shop, not understanding that the folder disappeared. Only then, I bought a book, Windows 95. ... I come from very far. When did I start with this? I think in 1997, by buying a pc. We still had mice with balls back in those years!

Lincoln, California
            United States
            Member #167130
            June 27, 2015
            256 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2016, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Before I start a new matrix I generate a list of all the variables for every filter, digit etc.. that I will

be using.  I learn the overall percents each takes up within the matrix.  It's this list that gives me

the expected values to play before the first set is ever drawn.  If a value shows in 35% of the lines

within the matrix then I expect it to show in 35% of the live draws.   From that point it's all about

making good guesses as to when it will show.  That's the hard part.

RL

RL, you are so right.  As I am nearing the completion of the data extraction setups for a variety of filters, I don't yet have a feeling for the guess.  I am drawn to Games Out, Games/Frequency, Repeats, Odd/Even, High/Low, Hot/Cold, Combinations of the former.  Each should be useful but I don't have a feel for it yet, So, I am diving in deeper, comparing the ranking of the selected variable to the other 9 possible variables for the number drawn, all the while having no clue how to use the tool when it finish it. 

It will come to me at some point.  In the meantime if is great to learn from so many experiences expressed here at LP

bobby623's avatar - abstract
              San Angelo, Texas
              United States
              Member #1097
              January 31, 2003
              1394 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2016, 5:18 pm - IP Logged
              To all:
              I'm curious.
              What is it that you see when watching the ball machines at work that tells you that the winning ball selections are based on an algorithm or some other mathematical action, as opposed to pure chance??
              Don't you sometimes wonder if all the algorithms you create are just expressions of the possibilities in a fixed matrix, rather than the result of random chaos in a mixing vessel??
              I suggest you might have better results if you devise methods that track current game trends in ways that help  you find good answers to the What's Next question.
              You might consider the possibility that you are going down the same dead-end streets many lottery game programmers have traveled since the games were initiated.
              In other words, there are numerous chart possibilities having all sorts of lottery related data, but little or no guidance on how specific data might actually be used to generate the next winning integer.
              Otherwise, if you have no tangible and reliable clues on what the next integer could be, all you have is data best described as 'nice to know, but so what'!
              What do I do??
              I'm a paper and pencil player.
              I use the power of substitution and a standard set of tools that help me analyze current game trends, and make informed choices on what integers have best chance of being in the next winning permutation.
              I don't always interpret the clues correctly, but I'm winning often enough to make the effort worthwhile.
                RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19816 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2016, 5:54 pm - IP Logged
                To all:
                I'm curious.
                What is it that you see when watching the ball machines at work that tells you that the winning ball selections are based on an algorithm or some other mathematical action, as opposed to pure chance??
                Don't you sometimes wonder if all the algorithms you create are just expressions of the possibilities in a fixed matrix, rather than the result of random chaos in a mixing vessel??
                I suggest you might have better results if you devise methods that track current game trends in ways that help  you find good answers to the What's Next question.
                You might consider the possibility that you are going down the same dead-end streets many lottery game programmers have traveled since the games were initiated.
                In other words, there are numerous chart possibilities having all sorts of lottery related data, but little or no guidance on how specific data might actually be used to generate the next winning integer.
                Otherwise, if you have no tangible and reliable clues on what the next integer could be, all you have is data best described as 'nice to know, but so what'!
                What do I do??
                I use the power of substitution and a standard set of tools that help me analyze current game trends, and make informed choices on what integers have best chance of being in the next winning permutation.
                I don't always interpret the clues correctly, but I'm winning often enough to make the effort worthwhile.

"I'm curious.
                What is it that you see when watching the ball machines at work that tells you that the winning ball selections are based on an algorithm or some other mathematical action, as opposed to pure chance?? "

I don't watch the ball machines at work, I simply record drawing results and look at them.  If I see a pattern that has happened 10-15% of the time in previous drawings I develop an algorithm for it and pick my numbers using it.  The problem is within that algorithm are hundreds of possibilities and I still have to be lucky to match three or better even when the drawing results fit the pattern.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2016, 7:58 am - IP Logged
                  To all:
                  I'm curious.
                  What do I do??

The coin flip

Watch the videos on utube. According to the mathematical understanding of random ... , but ... . Yeah, I know, most here hate coin flips. They cannot predict a coin flip result and want to win pick 3 or lotto with mathematics or data. Nobody has ever answered my coin flip questions. Are you guys avoiding that little coin flip?

Madison, WI
                    United States
                    Member #172977
                    February 11, 2016
                    515 Posts
                    Posted: February 21, 2016, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

The coin flip

Watch the videos on utube. According to the mathematical understanding of random ... , but ... . Yeah, I know, most here hate coin flips. They cannot predict a coin flip result and want to win pick 3 or lotto with mathematics or data. Nobody has ever answered my coin flip questions. Are you guys avoiding that little coin flip?

Heads

Economy class
                      Belgium
                      Member #123700
                      February 27, 2012
                      4035 Posts
                      Posted: February 22, 2016, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

There was just one single head.

Madison, WI
                        United States
                        Member #172977
                        February 11, 2016
                        515 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2016, 9:28 am - IP Logged

There was just one single head.

Tail?

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2016, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

No matter which way I try, I always get back to Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc.

Given the types of things I try, Excel handles everything, from storing the drawing history to processing any transforms I can imagine, to backtesting.

I would like to try using a programming language to read csv files and process output, and that's a learning curve I have just begun recently, but even that has basis in pencil and paper. Most ideas are ran off in excel because of the quick feeback. 

I would suggest pencil and paper to dream up a system, then a spreadsheet to implement and test... the biggest key being you understand the steps being taken... you can find a great deal of logic errors in your own systems that way.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

SWMcCaig's avatar - 9b740053d1be538a3bed55bad1c5746d
                            Broken Arrow, OK
                            United States
                            Member #155206
                            May 11, 2014
                            1874 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2016, 7:17 am - IP Logged

I only play the Pick-3, and I've owned several different commercial software programs designed for lottery analysis over the years. In the end, I always end up back at a simple Excel tracking sheet tracking simple items such as sums, root sums, LDS, VTrac, etc. Seems to work best for me.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
                              Ontario
                              Canada
                              Member #109243
                              April 9, 2011
                              31437 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2016, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I only play the Pick-3, and I've owned several different commercial software programs designed for lottery analysis over the years. In the end, I always end up back at a simple Excel tracking sheet tracking simple items such as sums, root sums, LDS, VTrac, etc. Seems to work best for me.

Agreed,

Excel

Website Subscription To LP's Amazing Tools

A Bit Of Paper And Pencil For Short W/O's

I Also Have Lotto Pro As A Tool But Haven't Used It Recently.

(I Will Though When I Play Keno)

I Mainly Use LP And The Odd Excel File.

Sometimes Too Much Data Is Just That....Too Much Information