Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should Camelot Pay These "Jackpot Winners"?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 11 months ago by Teddi.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery players be penalized for technical glitches

Yes - not the lottery's fault there was a glitch [ 4 ]  [14.29%]
No - not the couple's fault there was a glitch [ 9 ]  [32.14%]
Not sure but they should be given a consolation [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This was probably user error, they deserve nothing [ 9 ]  [32.14%]
The app company should be made to pay the couple [ 6 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19823 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2016, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

The facts are these losers learned a valuable lesson though I doubt they will ever have another chance to use it.  Maybe others will learn from their mistake.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
    Member #169365
    October 13, 2015
    135 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I saw some other articles on Camelot.  A lot of people are threatening to boycott them because they recently changed their matrix and doubled their line price (sounds familiar).  Any publicity is good publicity for them right now.

Interesting thing (assuming they're talking about Lotto) is they cap the JP at $50M Euro and resort to 5/59 (rather than 6/59) to determine the winner.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2016, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

If they had brought tickets before at cut-off times without enough funds this had probably happened to them before and because the numbers were losers they never complained, they probably considered themselves lucky since the numbers were good for the next drawing.

Or they didn't notice those tickets were for the next draw and just threw them away when they didn't win on the drawing they thought they were for . . .

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7301 Posts
        Posted: January 2, 2016, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

I'm afraid I can't agree with your premise. Viruses aren't a reason not to use a computer. Accidents aren't a reason not to drive a car. ATM malfunctions aren't a reason not to use a debit card. 

Do you have any idea how many times GPS has sent me around in circles, or to a wrong address? And yet, the positives still outweigh the negatives. I don't think occasional issues are reason enough to go back to living in the dark ages. LP is filled with stories of the horrors of directly buying a ticket from an approved vendor or getting a ticket from the lottery machines.

One way doesn't seem to be any better than the other. Both presents problems and challenges. The key is that the companies do their parts so that the situation doesn't repeat itself.

For starters it's not new technology; it's been in the UK and other European Countries for years. It's been in the U.S. for years too, but in other forms of gambling. We can legally bet on horse races and the process and rules are probably exactly the same. The software allows me to bet on any race, on any horse, and on any type of bet for amounts from 10 cents to $100 providing I have the necessary funds in my account.

It's obvious the rules prevent players from playing on credit and without it, the couple didn't actually purchase a ticket before the deadline.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7301 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2016, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

If they had brought tickets before at cut-off times without enough funds this had probably happened to them before and because the numbers were losers they never complained, they probably considered themselves lucky since the numbers were good for the next drawing.

They tried to buy a ticket before the cut-off time, but couldn't because they didn't have enough funds in their account. Just the fact they didn't know they didn't have enough funds suggest they didn't understand what they were doing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19823 Posts
            Posted: January 2, 2016, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Or they didn't notice those tickets were for the next draw and just threw them away when they didn't win on the drawing they thought they were for . . .

Could be after all lots of great prizes go unclaimed.  Could be those winners checked the wrong drawing and thought they lost and threw away their winning tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2016, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

"The couple chose to go with QP."

The articles I've seen say they used a separate app to generate random numbers and then played them. Even if that's incorrect it's irrelevant, because the confirmation of the transaction comes in an email. If the app confirmed the numbers they wanted to play it seems to have just been confirming their request to play those numbers. The only information I can find indicates that the problem is almost certainly due to their own failure to understand the system and use properly before the deadline.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7301 Posts
                Posted: January 2, 2016, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

"The couple chose to go with QP."

The articles I've seen say they used a separate app to generate random numbers and then played them. Even if that's incorrect it's irrelevant, because the confirmation of the transaction comes in an email. If the app confirmed the numbers they wanted to play it seems to have just been confirming their request to play those numbers. The only information I can find indicates that the problem is almost certainly due to their own failure to understand the system and use properly before the deadline.

"Even if that's incorrect it's irrelevant, because the confirmation of the transaction comes in an email."

When I pay an bill online, I get an immediate conformation, but with some, it takes a couple hours before it's deducted from my account and a couple days with others. The transaction was voided because of insufficient funds no matter when it was made.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: January 3, 2016, 7:31 am - IP Logged

"Even if that's incorrect it's irrelevant, because the confirmation of the transaction comes in an email."

When I pay an bill online, I get an immediate conformation, but with some, it takes a couple hours before it's deducted from my account and a couple days with others. The transaction was voided because of insufficient funds no matter when it was made.

I agree!  No money to pay the piper no tickets!  By the time they put money in the account and tried again the deadline was passed.  No money for them....  Moral of this story is do not wait until the last minute to purchase your tickets and always check your money balance first!  Good luck to them in the future it has to be very painful!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1182 Posts
                    Posted: January 4, 2016, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Could be after all lots of great prizes go unclaimed.  Could be those winners checked the wrong drawing and thought they lost and threw away their winning tickets.

Do you think that's true for US lotteries? I've never gambled online so that might be true. All I know is the cashiers are always good at telling me when i've missed the cut off. I don't have the opportunity to accidentally buy a ticket for a different drawing. 

Maybe the apps need to have a big bright flashing warning if you try to buy a ticket after the cut off. Would be a shame if this happens again with another elderly person.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3102 Posts
                      Posted: January 5, 2016, 3:24 am - IP Logged

IMHP both Camelot and the app company should conduct an investigation and let both their customer and general public know exactly what happened here.  If nothing else, it's an educational moment. 

BobP

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2016, 6:04 am - IP Logged

Similar things have happened in the US but they aren't glitches and drawings the tickets are good for are printed on the tickets regardless which drawing the players intended. 

It's the obligation of players to know the cut off time and not buy tickets at that time if they care about which drawing they are playing.  If those numbers had come up the next drawing, I doubt they would have refused the winnings because they were intending to play in the earlier drawing.

GI

Devastated: The couple thought they would be seeing in the New Year as millionaires when they chose all six winning numbers using the Lotto mobile app but Camelot told them they had no record of the transaction

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
                          Elgin, IL
                          United States
                          Member #68867
                          January 1, 2009
                          1221 Posts
                          Posted: January 5, 2016, 9:35 am - IP Logged

GI

Devastated: The couple thought they would be seeing in the New Year as millionaires when they chose all six winning numbers using the Lotto mobile app but Camelot told them they had no record of the transaction

The whole thing sounds a little Hooey.  They buy a ticket via a phone app supposedly before the cut off.  They were informed by the app that the purchase didn't go through due to Non Sufficient Funds.  They claim to make a deposit into their acct & the app says their purchase went through. I don't know about banks over there, but ours are not open at 7:30 PM, & if you make a deposit, it will show as pending until the following day after the bank verifies the funds.  We do not have enough info on the app..... Did the app record the time of the original purchase when they first tried to purchase the ticket, & when it was determined to be NSF was it suspended until the funds were available after the drawing?  As far as I am concerned, they tried to buy a ticket without sufficient funds. The problem was theirs..............  If the lottery didn't have any transaction of the purchase before the drawing, that's the couples fault.  They cannot blame the lottery for their stupidity.  They can try to go after the app.  But here again, when did the funds actually clear their account after they made their deposit.  And, does the app keep the time in their systems when the original purchase was enter prior to notification of the NSF.  If so, after the replacement funds were finally verified, did the ticket carry the time of the original when they first tried to buy the ticket even though the actual drawing 5 hours before.  This is what happens to people who try to buy ANYTHING with NSF.  Excuse me, but when I buy something, I make sure I have enough money in my acct to cover the purchase.  And, I always know when my acct gets below $2.00(U.S.).  Enough said.  Here we go again with Forrest Gump.  Stupid is what Stupid does.....................  If the above couple is looking for pity, they will not get any from me...................

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1182 Posts
                            Posted: January 5, 2016, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

The whole thing sounds a little Hooey.  They buy a ticket via a phone app supposedly before the cut off.  They were informed by the app that the purchase didn't go through due to Non Sufficient Funds.  They claim to make a deposit into their acct & the app says their purchase went through. I don't know about banks over there, but ours are not open at 7:30 PM, & if you make a deposit, it will show as pending until the following day after the bank verifies the funds.  We do not have enough info on the app..... Did the app record the time of the original purchase when they first tried to purchase the ticket, & when it was determined to be NSF was it suspended until the funds were available after the drawing?  As far as I am concerned, they tried to buy a ticket without sufficient funds. The problem was theirs..............  If the lottery didn't have any transaction of the purchase before the drawing, that's the couples fault.  They cannot blame the lottery for their stupidity.  They can try to go after the app.  But here again, when did the funds actually clear their account after they made their deposit.  And, does the app keep the time in their systems when the original purchase was enter prior to notification of the NSF.  If so, after the replacement funds were finally verified, did the ticket carry the time of the original when they first tried to buy the ticket even though the actual drawing 5 hours before.  This is what happens to people who try to buy ANYTHING with NSF.  Excuse me, but when I buy something, I make sure I have enough money in my acct to cover the purchase.  And, I always know when my acct gets below $2.00(U.S.).  Enough said.  Here we go again with Forrest Gump.  Stupid is what Stupid does.....................  If the above couple is looking for pity, they will not get any from me...................

I don't know who you're banking with but it's a bank that needs to come into the 21st century. When I deposit funds, they are available immediately. And that's been with 3 different banks. Anything that gets put into my accounts via any means I choose, regardless of what time I make the deposit is immediately available for use. 

However, bank deposits have nothing to do with this. The funds were deposited into this program from the purpose of buying tickets. It has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening at the bank end. If the funds never made it to the app until the next day, then they wouldn't have been able to buy the ticket. They bought the ticket so your issue about when deposits are made available is moot.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Wyomissing, PA
                              United States
                              Member #161050
                              November 15, 2014
                              301 Posts
                              Posted: January 5, 2016, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

Maybe the app glitched, as happens all the time.

Personally, I don't understand people cutting it that close. Sure I've entered a ticket 20min before cut-off, but never closer. I'd go insane over losing outt on a jackpot because the ticket didn't get through.

So no, I don't think they should py. I think they should pay people who play from a vacation ou of the borders though

This! Apps, by and large, are garbage. And it's not just recreational sites with faulty apps, many banks and credit card apps are glitchy too. A common issue is lack of detail / delayed updating. Also, version and hardware differences which can cause apps to act wonky. I use a well known, large on-line bank, and their website updates account balances nearly immediately while their app often doesn't.

As for the couple, they'll likely come up empty. What works against their argument is the lack of funds they had when first attempting to purchase the ticket. Regardless, lotteries and other gambling establishments near never pay out when there's even a question of a ticket / machine being faulty.