Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 11:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich to answer your questions on Lottery Post Monday evening!

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 1 year ago by dddwww.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Wyomissing, PA
United States
Member #161050
November 15, 2014
301 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

A question I'd like asked: Are lotteries looking at going far about the traditional ~50% prize payout for numbers games?

Most numbers games I've come across top out around 55%-58%, such as PA Treasure Hunt and regional game Cash4Life, with the exception of Wyoming Lottery Cowboy Draw, which has a 68% prize payout - highest I've ever seen for any lottery numbers game.

Instant tickets typically payout 60%-75%+ and sell very well. Higher paying numbers games, presumably, would too.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23349 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Be sure to come back tonight and post your question on the official "Ask Terry Rich" thread once it's live.  Terry will be answering questions posted on that thread.  The thread will be created just before 8:00 pm EST.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
      Member #1987
      August 5, 2003
      8968 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Can someone ask him what they do with unclaimed funds.

The answer is here, it is the first link above: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/240632.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
        Cordova,Al.
        United States
        Member #104482
        January 15, 2011
        5390 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Do any one know the Quick Link or thread # that has when Iowa was first warning their games could be rigged. If you do pm. me before the " Ask Terry Rich" I'll like to word my 2 questions carefully. ThanksSmile

United States
          Member #171734
          January 11, 2016
          127 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Robots should be picking the numbers!  Or put the 1-69 for powerball on a sheet of paper with chicken feed and let a chicken decide the newest millionaire.  The biggest holes in the paper are the winnings numbers.  Anything else is verbage.

Robots are computers so they can be manipulated.

Ever seen the chicken playing the piano at a State Fair?  Animals can be manipulated.  Where the numbers are on the sheet of paper the chicken is peeking and where the feed is will play a part in what number is the winner.  Measuring the "largest hole" will be subject to manipulation (remember the hanging chads in Florida?).

If man has a hand in it then the hand of man can affect it. 

A Mechanical Turk was built hundreds of years ago.  A robot that played chess and was remarkably good.  Fooled a lot of people and that's something so fantastic that people would naturally question it. 

In the end you have to rely on the people at the lottery who are overseeing the drawings to be on the lookout for midgets in the box, slight of hand, fake video feeds, manipulated balls, etc.  That's probably better than someone asking you to trust software that is spitting out numbers.  Software running on a computer that could have been hacked.

In the end it comes down to trusting humans and building in enough safeguards to hopefully catch the ones not worthy of trust before they manage to rig the system and get away with a big pile of money.