Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich to answer your questions on Lottery Post Monday evening!

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 11 months ago by dddwww.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23260 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2016, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Chief,

Ask him why player safety is not paramount to MUSL. All winners in all states should have the option of anonymity if they so desire. Good job Chief.

I hope you're here Monday evening to ask him in person!  Keep in mind that Terry Rich is CEO of the Iowa Lottery, and is not a representative of MUSL.  So he may be able to answer your question, but it won't be an official MUSL answer.  Still, Terry is an extremely knowledgeable lottery insider, so ask what's on your mind!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1509 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2016, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Make a choice. Physical balls in a secure container and the balls can be pretested for randomness. All the balls are kept in a secure environment i.e. a locked and monitored room 24/7. or do you prefer a computer picking the numbers?  A computer can be hacked by criminals and the winning numbers preordained to appear as legit.

I will vote with my dollars and only play the physical ball games and not the computer ones. You can find your State Lottery Report Card under Results here on Lottery Post.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
      Member #59354
      March 13, 2008
      3962 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2016, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I don't know if I will be around on Monday but if someone could ask what the current status is for online

ticket sales I would be very interested.  I asked the MO lottery and they told me it had something to do

with current laws.  I personally would like for each state to provide this option.  We have moved into the

digital age except when it comes to buying lottery tickets.  We have to fill out bet-slips which waste paper

then we have to drive to the retailer to purchase which waste gas and wear on our cars etc...  I dream of

the day I can create a lottery account after proving I live in the state.  Then after picking my numbers I could

login, paste my lines then pay with my debit card.  Many times I don't play because I hate to travel to the

store for $2.00 worth of tickets and even more so when it is raining, snowing ice storm etc..  I do however

think that they should put a limit on the number of tickets one could purchase for any one drawing or a

weekly or monthly limit.  The person would be provided a receipt that could be printed with the numbers played.

I think this would increase sales and add to the efficiency.  Problem gamblers could also be ban from playing.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
        Member #59354
        March 13, 2008
        3962 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2016, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Make a choice. Physical balls in a secure container and the balls can be pretested for randomness. All the balls are kept in a secure environment i.e. a locked and monitored room 24/7. or do you prefer a computer picking the numbers?  A computer can be hacked by criminals and the winning numbers preordained to appear as legit.

I will vote with my dollars and only play the physical ball games and not the computer ones. You can find your State Lottery Report Card under Results here on Lottery Post.

music*

It's true a computer can be hacked but for the most part this could be prevented if the computer is never

connected to the intranet.  To shore up the RNG then they could require a rolling access code that required

two or more people to enter a password before access was granted at any level.  I don't fully trust either

method as both have a human element.  The technology already exist that could be used to control the

numbers drawn.   For instance a ball could be designed using nano-technology making it possible to change

the number on a ball faster than the eye could detect it.   The drawing method should not have any connection

to past results or lines purchased for the current game.  Anything can be hacked.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

CTNY's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          New Haven, CT - Queens, NY
          United States
          Member #98740
          October 13, 2010
          5432 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2016, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

The only question that should be asked is...

...on what month, day and time would you be

switching back to ball drawings? 

Problem solved.Sleep

The goal is to approach the Pick 3 & Pick 4 game sensibly and systematically!! Wink

I'm not like the guy who predicted the end of the world and nothing happened.

United States
            Member #166712
            June 4, 2015
            24 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2016, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Maybe we can ask him if they plan on switching to ball drawings after this incident.

I Agree! 100%

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
              Member #93164
              June 23, 2010
              1316 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2016, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I wonder why Iowa Lottery Chief Executive Officer Terry Rich is so rich?

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1242 Posts
                Posted: January 9, 2016, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't trust RNG computer programs.  Go back to mechanical.

Never give up.  Banana

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                  Happy California
                  United States
                  Member #157856
                  August 2, 2014
                  1509 Posts
                  Posted: January 9, 2016, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

OneTrickpony's avatar - thought

United States
                    Member #167657
                    July 25, 2015
                    70 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2016, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

I remember that drawing from a few years ago, where a law firm in New York (I think) tried to claim the prize by submitting the ticket via overnight mail with only a short time before the ticket would have been void.  Something about the signature portion smudged and illegible for a trust or partnership, but the lottery commission denied it and they quickly withdrew the request for payment.  Bells and whistles went off in MY head when I read that so I can imagine what was going on in Iowa.  I am a big advocate for anonymity when collecting large prizes because of all the crazy people out there just waiting to throw you in a trunk or worse, but I remember being surprised that you could make a claim by mail.  I just assumed you had to show up in order to claim a large prize, either yourself or an attorney representing you or your trust.  Huh.  It will be an interesting hour!  I will be sure to log on.

DAMDAM's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                      Illinois,
                      United States
                      Member #99785
                      October 31, 2010
                      562 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2016, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Awesome will be interesting    Question/Answer  Computerized Drawing  Thanks  Mr Todd.   Unfortunately I will be working but I will be reading

DAM DAM DAM!!!!!!!

London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #140684
                        March 24, 2013
                        566 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like it will be an interesting read, don't have any questions since I am clueless about the whole situation!

South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #18322
                          July 9, 2005
                          1704 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Everyone should make up a list of questions in advance to ask our esteemed guest, so that this interview will run smoothly and professionally, and so that WE, the LP Community, will represent Lottery Post well, and give the BEST IMPRESSION !!!

Perhaps Todd should even filter the questions in advance somehow, to ensure that all questions are appropriate, respectful, on point, and Not repetitive, disrespectful, irrelevant or embarrassing.

Or is this Rare Prime Time Interview intended to be just a "free for all", and we can ask or comment in any manner that we want to ??? [I wouldn't think so !!]

What are the RULES  for this evening's Exclusive Interview ??

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23260 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Everyone should make up a list of questions in advance to ask our esteemed guest, so that this interview will run smoothly and professionally, and so that WE, the LP Community, will represent Lottery Post well, and give the BEST IMPRESSION !!!

Perhaps Todd should even filter the questions in advance somehow, to ensure that all questions are appropriate, respectful, on point, and Not repetitive, disrespectful, irrelevant or embarrassing.

Or is this Rare Prime Time Interview intended to be just a "free for all", and we can ask or comment in any manner that we want to ??? [I wouldn't think so !!]

What are the RULES  for this evening's Exclusive Interview ??

Great post and question!

I'm not going to filter anything, and I'm relying on the Lottery Post community to be respectful and post great questions.

Of course, if someone posts something that's extremely distasteful I will have to remove it, just like I would in the forums normally.

The topic of the discussion is the computerized drawing scandal, but I certainly won't tell people they can't post other questions.  If something is on your mind that you want to ask one of the biggest names in the lottery industry, then ask it!

Your advice about coming up with questions BEFORE we get started is a great suggestion.  I would recommend people started thinking about what they want to ask Terry in advance, so you don't forget something important at the last minute.

As far as I'm concerned, Terry Rich is a hero to the lottery community for doggedly investigating the Hot Lotto jackpot over the course of multiple years, and ultimately discovering the computerized drawing rigging done by Eddie Tipton.  Terry is also one of the biggest names in the lottery industry, not only the CEO of the Iowa Lottery, but he also served as the president of NASPL (North American Association of State and Provincial Lotteries), which is the ONLY lottery industry group that every state and provincial lottery in the USA and Canada belong to.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Iowa Lottery's avatar - iowalottery 100x100.png
                              Clive, Iowa
                              United States
                              Member #167708
                              July 27, 2015
                              25 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Looking forward to the night..