Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are we throwing away our money by trying to beat an RNG?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 months ago by MzDuffleBaglady.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171734
January 11, 2016
127 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2016, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

It collided with reality.

As near as I can tell there are exactly two possibilities with RNG's. Either they're just as good as ball drawings for picking completely random numbers or they're not as good at picking random numbers. There are then two possibilities for the results you get with that "plan" you think is useful:

1. The drawings are completely random, and since you can't predict the individual results of random events your plan offers no advantages. Any apparent success is really just due to coincidence. Kind of like flipping one coin to predict the results of flipping a different coin - it's going to be right about half the time, but not because the coin is capable of making an accurate prediction.
  2. The drawings are not random. Since they aren't random the results are at least somewhat predictable. It would then be possible to improve your odds. If you aren't benefiting from that predictability then it's because you're not good enough to make accurate predictions.

It's really that simple. The RNG's may not let you see the selection process the way a ball drawing does, but if there's a flaw in their ability to produce random results that's a benefit to any player smart enough to figure it out. It would either allow to you make valid predictions about the results or eliminate some of the possibilities. The screw up in Tennessee is a good example of the latter. Anybody who realized that repeated numbers had been disallowed could bet on the numbers in the smaller set of possible results.

Good analysis

"Anybody who realized that repeated numbers had been disallowed could bet on the numbers in the smaller set of possible results."

True but in that case the error wasn't sufficient to overcome the house odds (pool of possible 3 digit numbers reduced from 1000 to 720).  And people who picked random numbers, not aware of the flaw, would, over the long run, lose the same amount of money. 

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4102 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2016, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

The scene in the Goonies where Mouth beneath the wishing well says..

Mouth: Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here. This was my dream, my wish. And it didn’t come true. So I’m taking it back. I’m taking them all back.

**** Unfortunately, when we play : we cant take it back. We just have to live with it- Own pick or RNG.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
      Member #81314
      October 16, 2009
      18966 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2016, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Missouri,  RNG.

I've had it.  With this new conversion, the pay outs stay low, let's me know, The House is winning big.

I'm done.

Good Luck.

The Struggle is real!