Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where do you do your ticket shopping?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 months ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
Oregon
United States
Member #168137
August 17, 2015
124 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2016, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I've always been curious how people decide where to pick up their lottery tickets and scratch-its.

Some folks have a special place, some folks pick them up when and where its convenient.

Are all places that distribute tickets equal when it comes to QP tickets, do you think? 

Can a Mom & Pop Market sell a winner, just as easily as a Super Market?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1534 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2016, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I shop for tickets anywhere, and I play some Qp's and my own numbers.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3475 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2016, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

Winning the lottery is the result of probability acting on events that are as random as the lottery can make them. If one place sells more winners than another it's either because they sell more tickets, or because random probability allows results that don't exactly match the expected average results. Examples would include getting 5 heads in a row even though the expected average is getting heads on only half of the flips, or having two jackpot winners for PB even if only 25 million tickets are sold.

That means there's no change in your chances of winning based on where you buy. The only sensible reason to go out of your way is for some other kind of advantage. Driving a few miles beyond the state line to avoid the long lines for the recent PB  jackpot would be a sensible reason. Driving an extra 1/4 mile to buy at a place that sold a previous winner wouldn't be.

I happened to be 4 miles from a store in Massachusetts 2 weeks ago, so I went a bit out of my way to get my PB tickets because if I won in MA I'd likely be able to conceal my identity by claiming as a trust, and I might be able to reduce the state taxes by quickly moving to MA. Normally I get my tickets when I'm stopping for gas or going to a lottery retailer for some other reason.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #150273
        December 18, 2013
        495 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2016, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I buy my tickets from a tobacco store because i can just put it on my debit card so long as i buy something else from the store...like a pack of smokes.  It saves me from having to pull out cash at the bank/atm before buying my tickets.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

allentown pa.
          United States
          Member #101040
          November 24, 2010
          1 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2016, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

In the most unusual of places-A DUMPSTERS- especially if it the lottery store caters to a more senior populace. Older generation and even some younger (in a rush)buyers of scratch off tickets fail to check their #s with the computer.  So i grap the bag i think has the most tickets and check them myself carefully. Last year i made 2grand . with one ticket worth 500 bucks. The only drawback with this method is that sometimes u truly get only garbage and its tuff on the knees jumping in and out of that dumpster.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
            Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1284 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2016, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

I drive by a convenience store that sells lottery tickets and go a few blocks more to a locally owned liquor store to buy them, mainly because the store that sells the winning ticket gets a bonus and the convenience store is a corporation based in N. Mexico while the liquor store is locally owned.   Sometimes I use the vending machine at the grocery store, but not often.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
             - George Orwell

London
              United Kingdom
              Member #140684
              March 24, 2013
              566 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2016, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Grocery store mostly.... the 5 items or less lane has a lottery stand where I just grab my ticket for the EuroMillions draw.

We don't have vending machines in the UK, most grocery stores here in the UK have a kiosk which sells a small selection of alcohol, cigarettes & lottery.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                Pittsburg, Ks
                United States
                Member #3382
                January 17, 2004
                81000 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2016, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I've always been curious how people decide where to pick up their lottery tickets and scratch-its.

Some folks have a special place, some folks pick them up when and where its convenient.

Are all places that distribute tickets equal when it comes to QP tickets, do you think? 

Can a Mom & Pop Market sell a winner, just as easily as a Super Market?

I buy my tickets from  the grocery store's service desk.

God Bless America

US Flag

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                  Happy California
                  United States
                  Member #157856
                  August 2, 2014
                  1522 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2016, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I drive by a convenience store that sells lottery tickets and go a few blocks more to a locally owned liquor store to buy them, mainly because the store that sells the winning ticket gets a bonus and the convenience store is a corporation based in N. Mexico while the liquor store is locally owned.   Sometimes I use the vending machine at the grocery store, but not often.

I Agree! with mikeintexas, The locally owned store is a good reason. 

Remember though that your family and friends will also be watching the game. If you live in the city where the winner, YOU, lives they may guess that you won. And then they contact you. If you blab the news to them be prepared for the press and everybody hounding you for a share of the winnings. Even before you have cashed in the ticket.

You have lied before. Call it exageration. Little lies like the fleetwood mac song. You must create a noble lie to protect your privacy. We have heard of the people who lied to the Gestapo in Nazi occupied countries to protect Jews. The mother who suffocated her crying child when they were hiding for their lives.

Your true friends will understand why you lied to them after you cash the winning ticket. Your not so good friends will no longer understand you.

You cannot make everyone's dreams come true. The two letter word, "NO", will come in handy. You learned to say that at age two. It drove your mother nuts.

Good Luck to all LP members and staff.

Party

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                    Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #168137
                    August 17, 2015
                    124 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2016, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

There is a little market in our town I get my tickets at typically from one of those vending machine style.  I usually go in for a sandwich or drink and if I have a buck or two left in my pocket, I'll grab a ticket on my way out. Sometimes I fill out a slip, sometimes I'll get a QP.. and when I am feeling wild, maybe both LOL

I get my scratch-its there, too. Although, those itchy scratchies have been a lot more successful than my PB, MM and Oregons Megabucks haha

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                      Happy California
                      United States
                      Member #157856
                      August 2, 2014
                      1522 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2016, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

There is a little market in our town I get my tickets at typically from one of those vending machine style.  I usually go in for a sandwich or drink and if I have a buck or two left in my pocket, I'll grab a ticket on my way out. Sometimes I fill out a slip, sometimes I'll get a QP.. and when I am feeling wild, maybe both LOL

I get my scratch-its there, too. Although, those itchy scratchies have been a lot more successful than my PB, MM and Oregons Megabucks haha

"Itchy scratchies" If you have an itch then scratch it.  LOL

As they say in the Stock market, "The trend is your friend". I would continue scratching your way to success.

Lurking

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: January 21, 2016, 10:49 am - IP Logged

I usually go someplace on my walking route.  I prefer using a vending machine, but I buy from a clerk occasionally. 

When it's time to buy advance plays on my regular numbers, the amount I spend is worth it to find a credit card that's paying 5% cash back on grocery stores or gas stations, then I go to one of those stores that accepts credit cards for lottery to buy those tickets at the counter.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                          Greenville, SC
                          United States
                          Member #169870
                          November 4, 2015
                          374 Posts
                          Posted: January 21, 2016, 11:14 am - IP Logged

If I'm trying out new things or playing a state lotto game, I get my tickets at truck stops or places that are big enough for an 18 wheeler. Normally, I stop at my favorite store in SC on my way home.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

United States
                            Member #106134
                            February 13, 2011
                            806 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2016, 11:50 am - IP Logged

From now on when Powerball jackpots get big I'll be making the trek to Tennessee to buy tickets.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Lavender Rocket

United States
                              Member #124616
                              March 16, 2012
                              2642 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2016, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I go across the street from where I work.