Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: You lost your lottery ticket but have a photo copy

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 10 months ago by LiveInGreenBay.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Does the lottery accept the photo copy?

Yes [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 22 ]  [81.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #150273
December 18, 2013
495 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2016, 10:32 am - IP Logged

My lottery has verbally told me that the answer would be NO. You must present the actual ticket and only after scanning the bar code is it deemed an authentic winning lottery ticket.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #165541
    April 12, 2015
    541 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2016, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I said Maybe.

Because perhaps I did scan it.  The bar code on the copy is still valid.

If i get robbed and then stabbed and I go to the claims office and I am bleeding on the floor, and I declare my ticket "taken", to prevent the cashing of it, but I

have a copy to show I purchased it, then maybe the Lottery Commission will have a heart.

Do people in the Lottery commission have hearts when their state uses RNG?

NYC
      United States
      Member #161115
      November 17, 2014
      126 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2016, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I said Maybe.

If i get robbed and then stabbed and I go to the claims office and I am bleeding on the floor, and I declare my ticket "taken", to prevent the cashing of it, but I

have a copy to show I purchased it, then maybe the Lottery Commission will have a heart.

Lotto officials having a heart. 

//lp.vg/images/space.gif

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2016, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

No is probably the right answer.

Changes were made to US paper currency as printers got more and more advanced.

Remember the recent billion and a half dollar jackpot and the clowns that were claiming to be the winner and posting bogus tickets on the internet?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Indiana
          United States
          Member #150273
          December 18, 2013
          495 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2016, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I said Maybe.

For some reason it's not quoting in my reply.....anyway Silverlion

I said Maybe.

...At the end of the day...the person with the ticket i believe is the winner. Look at this past PB drawing..one of the winners was gifted a ticket by her employer. The employer could have made copies of the tickets and if one was the JP winner could have claimed they owned the ticket and the cameras would have shown they purchased the ticket....but they are not the one with the ticket in their possession though. Many people bought lottery tickets and gifted the ticket to others...heck even a bakery i believe it was gifted a lottery ticket with x amount of purchase at their place of business. Whoever is the one holding the ticket and the ticket scans legit is the winner and this is why...way too many variables to sort through and the only way to avoid those variables is deeming the one in possession of the ticket as the winner.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2016, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Just having the winning ticket is not enough if an investigation brings up questions.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Alpharetta, GA
              United States
              Member #169547
              October 23, 2015
              123 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2016, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Just having the winning ticket is not enough if an investigation brings up questions.

wWhich is a great point.  How many of y'all get a receipt when buying tickets?  I usually do.  Just wondering. 

Not sure how much having a cash reciept will help but it can't hurt.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1238 Posts
                Posted: January 24, 2016, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

In Wisconsin, a person can mail the signed ticket to the lottery office.  (I guess for smaller winnings most people would do that rather than drive a hundred miles or so).  The lottery suggests (if people mail their ticket in) to make a photocopy of it.  So I would guess a photocopy of a ticket with the bar code would be valid.  I voted yes.

Never give up.  Banana

Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #150273
                  December 18, 2013
                  495 Posts
                  Posted: January 24, 2016, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Just having the winning ticket is not enough if an investigation brings up questions."

That situation would have to provide very rare and extraordinary circumstances of evidence to over come why one is in possession of a lottery ticket and another is not. I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it would be very hard to over come he said she said in such cases...very hard. Just because a camera showed you purchased it is not enough because it is legal to gift tickets..as we saw in this recent PB drawing by employers and businesses and amongst friends. We saw a lot of that. Like i said, it would have to be very rare and extraordinary circumstances of evidence to over come such a claim proving another stole your ticket.

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #150273
                    December 18, 2013
                    495 Posts
                    Posted: January 24, 2016, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

In Wisconsin, a person can mail the signed ticket to the lottery office.  (I guess for smaller winnings most people would do that rather than drive a hundred miles or so).  The lottery suggests (if people mail their ticket in) to make a photocopy of it.  So I would guess a photocopy of a ticket with the bar code would be valid.  I voted yes.

From what i understand, large JP tickets must be claimed in person at the state lottery HQ's only..so mailing it in is not a option in my state.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                      Green Bay
                      United States
                      Member #169391
                      October 15, 2015
                      1238 Posts
                      Posted: January 24, 2016, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

From what i understand, large JP tickets must be claimed in person at the state lottery HQ's only..so mailing it in is not a option in my state.

Yea.  Anyone who mails in a major jackpot ticket needs their head examined.  LOL!  However, I would still make a photo copy of that ticket and keep it in a safe place....Just in case.

Never give up.  Banana

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3471 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2016, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

My lottery has verbally told me that the answer would be NO. You must present the actual ticket and only after scanning the bar code is it deemed an authentic winning lottery ticket.

That sounds like the advice you should be relying on. At best a photocopy might prove that somebody stuck the ticket in a photocopier and you're in possession of a copy. I can't see what that would do to establish that you every had possession of the actual ticket or that you own the ticket and are entitled to the prize.

At the very least you're going to need other evidence if you've got any hope of collecting a prize.

London
                          United Kingdom
                          Member #140684
                          March 24, 2013
                          566 Posts
                          Posted: January 24, 2016, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure to be honest, maybe a photocopy would help in the event of a syndicate/pool dispute if you've signed it with the ticket holder?

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                            Winning makes me smile.
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            4850 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2016, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

If you had a lottery pool where 10 people had photo copies of say 50 tickets and the winner was lost, all 10 could say they were the one that bought the tickets. Without store camera video proof, who is telling the truth?

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                              Member #165244
                              March 30, 2015
                              227 Posts
                              Posted: January 25, 2016, 7:18 am - IP Logged

...I said, No...Any reason for NYS to not to have to pay...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...