Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: You lost your lottery ticket but have a photo copy

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 10 months ago by LiveInGreenBay.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Does the lottery accept the photo copy?

Yes [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 22 ]  [81.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6290 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2016, 10:00 am - IP Logged

I remember there was an incident in Texas a few years ago when someone purchased the winning ticket and made a photocopy with a laser printer and somehow alerted the winning ticket. The surveillance footage showed the man buying https://www.lotterypost.com/news/214048 the ticket.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

cbr$'s avatar - maren
    Cordova,Al.
    United States
    Member #104482
    January 15, 2011
    4927 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2016, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I remember there was an incident in Texas a few years ago when someone purchased the winning ticket and made a photocopy with a laser printer and somehow alerted the winning ticket. The surveillance footage showed the man buying https://www.lotterypost.com/news/214048 the ticket.

I read this.   I think a lot of other things really help this person case. A ticket purchase at the same time at the store . Total match where the ticket was buy from the roll. The paper being borrow from another store of the retailer chain, the tape inside the store showing him purchase it. Put it all together, it proof his case.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      879 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2016, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone heard about the Australian woman that posted a selfie of herself holding a wining horse race ticket and one of her Facebook friends claimed the prize?

They printed the picture of her holding the ticket and went to a lottery terminal and scanned the picture of the bar code.

When she took the actual ticket to cash, she was told it had already been cashed.

A bar code reader doesn't know the difference between a photo copy or an actual ticket.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3856 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2016, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone heard about the Australian woman that posted a selfie of herself holding a wining horse race ticket and one of her Facebook friends claimed the prize?

They printed the picture of her holding the ticket and went to a lottery terminal and scanned the picture of the bar code.

When she took the actual ticket to cash, she was told it had already been cashed.

A bar code reader doesn't know the difference between a photo copy or an actual ticket.

I think that was on LP news maybe 2-3 months ago.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
          Member #172489
          January 26, 2016
          43 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2016, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

It says right on the back of the ticket - no photocopies, no counterfeiting, no tampering, no mutilation, etc.  I assume they will do whatever they can to avoid paying out a prize.  Best to just keep your tickets safe haha.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5912 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2016, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

It says right on the back of the ticket - no photocopies, no counterfeiting, no tampering, no mutilation, etc.  I assume they will do whatever they can to avoid paying out a prize.  Best to just keep your tickets safe haha.

I do know in the 80's, you may be able to research, but I recall, California paying off on a photocopy. I could be wrong , you should be able to verify.

United States
              Member #172489
              January 26, 2016
              43 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2016, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I do know in the 80's, you may be able to research, but I recall, California paying off on a photocopy. I could be wrong , you should be able to verify.

Probably, but the 80s was a looooong time ago (relatively speaking).

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1248 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2016, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

In Wisconsin, a person can mail the signed ticket to the lottery office.  (I guess for smaller winnings most people would do that rather than drive a hundred miles or so).  The lottery suggests (if people mail their ticket in) to make a photocopy of it.  So I would guess a photocopy of a ticket with the bar code would be valid.  I voted yes.

Oops...I need to change my vote.  I emailed the Wisconsin lottery and they told me that they can only pay-out on an "actual ticket".   So in other words... DON'T LOSE THAT TICKET!  So much for mailing a ticket in.

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                  Member #172489
                  January 26, 2016
                  43 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Oops...I need to change my vote.  I emailed the Wisconsin lottery and they told me that they can only pay-out on an "actual ticket".   So in other words... DON'T LOSE THAT TICKET!  So much for mailing a ticket in.

OMG - I would never mail in a winning ticket!!

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                    Green Bay
                    United States
                    Member #169391
                    October 15, 2015
                    1248 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2016, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

OMG - I would never mail in a winning ticket!!

So if you won $700.00 and the lottery office was 200 miles away, would you miss work for a day to drive 400 miles round trip for $700.00?  I really think the lottery should accept photocopies of winning tickets.   The photocopies would have bar codes on them too, which would be impossible to duplicate.  And don't forget, the state and feds would also tax that amount.  LOL!

Never give up.  Banana