Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No more scratchers for me. No more.

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 9 months ago by Candlelight777.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #169911
November 6, 2015
57 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2016, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I quit playing scratch-offs as the odds just seem to be getting worse and worse.  Also, I grew very suspicious of convenience store workers/owners regarding winning tickets. 

With $100 'seed' money, I bought five $20 tickets for a game that still had a majority of large prizes available even though it had been around for about a year.  I went to 3 different convenience stores for my tickets.  At the largest store, the ticket that they gave me was all mangled up on the top part.  They kept their ticket dispensers under the counter so the ticket was partially exposed to damage from passing workers.

After scratching them all, I won $220!  One of the $100 winners (I had 2) was that mangled ticket.  I went back to the store that sold it to me to cash it in.  The older guy behind the counter looked at the mangled ticket and recognized it right away.  "You bought this ticket here."  A statement, not a question. 

He put it in the machine and he looked shocked and dismayed, like he had lost something.  He looked at the younger guy behind the counter with him, threw his hand up in the air with the ticket and said "It was a hundred dollar winner!  THAT ticket that was here for so long!  A hundred dollar winner!"  Then 'tsked', shook his head and looked very disgusted.

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but his reaction did not sit well with me.  He practically threw the money at me, like I was stealing from him.   I don't care how much the State Lottery insists that there is no corruption at the playing level, I just don't trust the store owners or workers.

Never again.

There are have several investigations across the country regarding how so many liquor/lottery retailers were winning.  It's not permitted that retailers can't play and I've read that it would be near impossible the amount times that they've won.  Some owners have said that they played a lot but even than it the odds are still against them so that is why I am weary of liquor store owners especially the ones that they don't have a lot of customers/by themselves all day, I mean they look at lottery tickets all day and in there minds they have to be thinking they could have a jackpot winning ticket in there store and what could they do to get it.  Temptation is humans greatest weakness.

I'm still going to play scratchers but just be a lot more careful and probably buy more from vending machines but even those are subjected to these actions.

United States
    Member #124304
    March 11, 2012
    62 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2016, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I went to a mom and pop convenience store about a month ago that is always very slow. I was buying $20 tickets and always look at the number at the bottom. I bought the next ticket (or so I thought) and it was out of sequence. I asked the clerk what happened to the next ticket. He said " What ticket?". I said the next ticket is supposed to be number 5. He looks at me real mean and says "I bought it myself". Anyway, I collected my money from another ticket and walked out. I called back a few times to ask for the owner and he is never there (how convenient). I am still pissed that this happened,  but not a whole lot I can do about it. There are just too many crooked people out there. Makes it really difficult to win anything decent.

Inland Empire
      United States
      Member #118116
      October 22, 2011
      317 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2016, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the main reason why I spent hundreds of dollars every month was sheer desperation. My relationship with my family has been strained and I was just doing some odd jobs here and there. I just wanted to run away somewhere and never come back to my extended family.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #150273
        December 18, 2013
        495 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2016, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the main reason why I spent hundreds of dollars every month was sheer desperation. My relationship with my family has been strained and I was just doing some odd jobs here and there. I just wanted to run away somewhere and never come back to my extended family.

It had to take a lot for you to share that...that speaks volumes. I and i hope nobody else here will judge you and only offer understanding. We all hate our jobs or unhappy with circumstances in our life and can relate. My grandmother use to tell me life sucks..get a helmet...boy oh boy was that so true as i sit here at 46. Lost my husband a couple years back now a single parent and it's the hardest thing i have ever had to do...feel lost most days but manage to find my way. 

Life is good...but more times then not it sucks and that's where desperation comes into play and teaches us about life and dealing with it. Given you recognize the desperation...your gonna be alright moving forward.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21