Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No more scratchers for me. No more.

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 9 months ago by Candlelight777.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Romancandle's avatar - moon
Upacreek
United States
Member #136306
December 8, 2012
428 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2016, 11:02 am - IP Logged

That's just how it is sometimes. Some people can buy a whole roll of scratches and not a thing then the very next person could buy 1 ticket and hit the jackpot. You just never know 

Sometimes?  That's how it is most of the time... People do win, no doubt, but many lose, hence the massive profits with these games.

-RC

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
    Member #165244
    March 30, 2015
    228 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2016, 11:25 am - IP Logged

I stopped playing scratch offs too. I figured with the odds of winning anything decent at any of these games,  its more economical to play jackpot games.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4792 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2016, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I've been thinking the same. You have to buy from the right roll, from the right location, at the right time. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have spent more than $10 on 1 scratcher and got nothing back.  After reading some success stories on here, I thought my luck was on the good side and bought a few $20 scratchers only to be burned.  Keep in mind I don't just go and buy without research. I look to see how many grand prizes remain. So I'm back to $1 and $2 draw games.

That is why I do not play them.

J'aime La France.

HAMMY WAMMY's avatar - lib
        Utah
        United States
        Member #169454
        October 18, 2015
        30 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2016, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

Took the drive up to Idaho this morning and bought 4 $20 scratchers, all duds :(      For the first time ever I bought a pick 3 ticket for 4 draws and a Hot Lotto Sizzler ticket for one draw, hoping the first time is the charm for one of these new games :) 

Good luck to everyone

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3104 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2016, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Took the drive up to Idaho this morning and bought 4 $20 scratchers, all duds :(      For the first time ever I bought a pick 3 ticket for 4 draws and a Hot Lotto Sizzler ticket for one draw, hoping the first time is the charm for one of these new games :) 

Good luck to everyone

You need to apply a strategy.  Try driving an American made body rotted car, while wearing an irregular shirt from K-Mart, with your six pack purchase.  Works for lottery too!

BobP

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2016, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Good luck to everyone

Did you play Sum It Up on the pick 3?

Scratchers make me mad, I never win anything but what I paid and not even that very often.  But sometimes I have money in the vending machine and I bought everything I need and have a little credit left.  And sometimes I'm in the mood to get mad so I buy a $1 or $2 scratcher.  LOL

Utah
              United States
              Member #169454
              October 18, 2015
              30 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2016, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

HoLeeKau, yes I got the sum it up. My numbers are 6 8 0  sum it up 14 :)

Utah
                United States
                Member #169454
                October 18, 2015
                30 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2016, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

You need to apply a strategy.  Try driving an American made body rotted car, while wearing an irregular shirt from K-Mart, with your six pack purchase.  Works for lottery too!

BobP

Ha Ha

yeah I gotta come up with something because what I'm doing isn't working

Inland Empire
                  United States
                  Member #118116
                  October 22, 2011
                  317 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2016, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes?  That's how it is most of the time... People do win, no doubt, but many lose, hence the massive profits with these games.

Now I understand why scratchers are the main cashcow for the state governments.

Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2016, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

HoLeeKau, yes I got the sum it up. My numbers are 6 8 0  sum it up 14 :)

Good luck Hammy!

I bought one on a whim today.  7  3  1  = 11

Utah
                      United States
                      Member #169454
                      October 18, 2015
                      30 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2016, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Good luck Hammy!

I bought one on a whim today.  7  3  1  = 11

Good luck to you :)

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2016, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Good luck to you :)

9 - 1 - 7 = 17

I had the 1 - 7 but didn't do me any good.

Every digit of yours was just 1 off.  LOL  So sorry.  Good luck with the rest of your draws.

Utah
                          United States
                          Member #169454
                          October 18, 2015
                          30 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2016, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

9 - 1 - 7 = 17

I had the 1 - 7 but didn't do me any good.

Every digit of yours was just 1 off.  LOL  So sorry.  Good luck with the rest of your draws.

Dang, close one for both of us. 

Thank you and Good luck on your future tickets :)

United States
                            Member #172897
                            February 8, 2016
                            4 Posts
                            Posted: February 21, 2016, 2:08 am - IP Logged

I agree, that's why I like buying scratchers from different random locations because some having losing batches.  Scratchers also cost more and are already pre-determined but of course the customer doesn't know that.  In general, you've have a higher chance at winning with scratchers but there are other variables involved like location, time bought, etc. I'm still playing scratchers but will probably cut back a little bit.

First of all, why does it matter if scratch tickets are determined at the time of purchase? Customers do know this. Do people believe the ticket just decides itself if it's going to be a winner or loser? Not likely.

Lastly, you say that time is a factor of winning scratch offs. I won't discuss that point specifically, but do you realize that if you buy quick picks (which most people do), the random number generator most likely uses time for determining the numbers?

I'm not seeing any reasonable justification for playing draw games instead of scratch games. We should all know that the odds on draw games are typically way worse.

To the original poster of this thread: The problem isn't that scratch tickets are bad. The problem is that you were spending too much money on them. If you were to spend the same amount of money on draw tickets that you were spending on scratch tickets, you would most likely lose even more money!

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #150273
                              December 18, 2013
                              495 Posts
                              Posted: February 21, 2016, 9:29 am - IP Logged

A few weeks back i had a few winnings saved from my draw games so i played 4 lucky 7's scratch offs..won nothing. My daughter's best friend's mother goes into the same gas station days later and plays the same scratch off and wins $77,777.

I think Reality Checker makes some good points about time of purchase with scratch offs verse drawings and agree. However, the problem for me is i know i am likely to win nothing regardless of which game i play but at least with drawings it's not an instant loss game over situation-- which doesn't provide much entertainment value.

The scratch off games here you basically have to play a $5 ticket to make it worth wild..that can add up real fast. The $1 ticket payouts are just not worth it for me. My lottery budget is $50 a month...at $5 a ticket that is only 10 plays per month. With drawings i can play 24 plays per month for the same amount of money with a chance to win massive amounts of money.

I think it just comes down to individual play style as i can see why some may enjoy scratch offs over drawings. I do think the OP is a perfect example though of how the instant gratification of scratch off tickets can lure you into spending more then what you should have and regret it.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21