Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The TN Powball winner-1.6 Billion,,the lowdown.

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 9 months ago by lejardin.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6290 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2016, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the info tnlottodreaer Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
    Member #164725
    March 12, 2015
    342 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2016, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

If you win a huge lottery and go about it the same way they did, you'll hear the same.  Of course we are all envious, but they were not smart in the way they handled the situation.

1.  There is no anonymity in Tenn. 

2.  It's the age of the internet and anyone can find out where you live. 

3.  Every winner receives bushels of mail asking for money. 

4.  Every winner has to quit their job and move to a more secure residence. 

5.  Anyone with that much wealth will need a bodyguard at least initially. 

They handled it just fine.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2016, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Don't be ridiculous.

The very first thing these people did was put up a giant blinking sign saying HERE WE ARE!

Point #2 is wrong, and the remainder is largely related to that. If you're intelligent you can make it very difficult for people to find out where you live. Then you can ask yourself how much mail you'll get when people don't have your mailing address. You should also ask yourself about the best time for #4 and ask yourself if that's when these people did that.

United States
        Member #164725
        March 12, 2015
        342 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2016, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Don't be ridiculous.

The very first thing these people did was put up a giant blinking sign saying HERE WE ARE!

Point #2 is wrong, and the remainder is largely related to that. If you're intelligent you can make it very difficult for people to find out where you live. Then you can ask yourself how much mail you'll get when people don't have your mailing address. You should also ask yourself about the best time for #4 and ask yourself if that's when these people did that.

Dont be an idiot. 

Lots of winners do press conferences and again their names and locale are public record. How many people create blind trusts who dont have money or who are not prosecutors? Again, records are easily accessible on the Internet and anyone can find out where you live.  Setting up a blind trust after the fact is meaningless. They had to find a new house and then buy it thru a blind trust. It doesnt  matter how much mail you get. You throw it all away. The best time for a lottery winner to quit their job is any time they want. I'm sorry you are jealous but putting down these people will not improve your life.  Just remember that they are millions of times happier than you. 

Banana

Tulsa
          United States
          Member #172877
          February 7, 2016
          131 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2016, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

They seem like happy people before they won and that is why they would be happy.  Money only creates a temporary happiness.

United States
            Member #106134
            February 13, 2011
            806 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2016, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Gee I feel so bad for them...not!

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #77167
              July 15, 2009
              556 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2016, 9:34 am - IP Logged

A lottery win that large is a major change in anyone's life.  It will force them to do some things differently but they will adjust. Privacy is something most of us have and do not really appreciate.  In time the attention will die down and they can enjoy the win.  I wish them the best and hope I'm the next winner.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: March 19, 2016, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

Im going to miss all my old friends i say no to. especially the ones who never buy tickets. all those tales of how much they'll share with me will be missed.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: March 19, 2016, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

l put all of this all on the winners- whether the couple privately discussed their concerns on any issue, we do not know, what we do know is that they were only too happy to listen to their lawyer's advice, get on a plane, call a conference to show the world who you are. When asked about the winning  ticket, pull it from your shirt pocket. Say you not going to quit your jobs etc etc. They are reaping what they have sown " incredible stupidity!"

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                    Member #106134
                    February 13, 2011
                    806 Posts
                    Posted: March 19, 2016, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

l put all of this all on the winners- whether the couple privately discussed their concerns on any issue, we do not know, what we do know is that they were only too happy to listen to their lawyer's advice, get on a plane, call a conference to show the world who you are. When asked about the winning  ticket, pull it from your shirt pocket. Say you not going to quit your jobs etc etc. They are reaping what they have sown " incredible stupidity!"

That is exactly true, they are reaping what they have sown!

I wonder now if they still think it's worth it to be more famous than Kim Kardashian LOL.

The Windy City
                      United States
                      Member #171690
                      January 10, 2016
                      62 Posts
                      Posted: March 19, 2016, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, they did not handle it just fine.   But different strokes for different folks.   If it were me, I would of put my house up for sale immediately at a price far enough below market value that I would of had a cash buyer closing very quickly.   After closing, I would of came forward.   Then the Internet would not know where I live.   But hey, that's just me.

ps.... saying "don't be an idiot" can be construed as fighting words.

- Wanna win at least a couple commas

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1183 Posts
                        Posted: March 19, 2016, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I live close to the Robinson's from Munford,TN that won 1/3 of the 1.6 Billion Jackpot. The lowdown. They fired their lawyer Mr.Townsend because he was wanting to control the money and have it sent to his bank and he wanted 10% off the top. The Robinsons still have not gotten all their money yet. They both was asked to leave their jobs because other employees were giving them a hard time.

They can't go home because people are hounding them left and right. They did buy 100 acres of land in Tipton County. They also hired a body guard. I feel so sorry for these people. But that's what happens when you go on NATIONAL TV.

They can't even go to the store without people asking for money and they are staying with some family and friends in different areas.

The post office is getting up to 5 tubs full of mail everyday from people wanting $...

NEXT TIME STAY OUT OF THE LIME LIFE AND CLAIM IT IN A TRUST NAME

I think I've finally become jaded because a year ago I would have felt some amount of empathy towards them. Right now I have none. 

Every single thing they're going through right now happened because they chose fame instead of smarts. They chose to do a press tour before having financial buffers set up. They could have bought a home via a third party or entity and no one would have known where they actually lived. They could have had a PO Box set up so they could get their legitimate mail instead wading through buckets of requests. They could have avoided being hounded had they chose to keep a low profile and not stayed in the same locale. Not being able to go home or go into work should never have been an issue had they had an IQ higher than a double digit.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                          Green Bay
                          United States
                          Member #169391
                          October 15, 2015
                          1246 Posts
                          Posted: March 19, 2016, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Let this be a lesson to you all...If you win a lottery, let it be a small one.

Never give up.  Banana

The Windy City
                            United States
                            Member #171690
                            January 10, 2016
                            62 Posts
                            Posted: March 19, 2016, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Let this be a lesson to you all...If you win a lottery, let it be a small one.

LOL... I will continue dreaming big, but I would be more than ecstatic to win a $15M mega millions.

- Wanna win at least a couple commas

looking4$'s avatar - Lottery-054.jpg
                              Dana Point, CA
                              United States
                              Member #138475
                              January 28, 2013
                              26 Posts
                              Posted: March 19, 2016, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

If I had a winning ticket like that, I would sell the house, go to an Extended Stay Motel, and then seek out the richest two or three people in my community or area and pick their brain about who they use: Tax Lawyer, Financial Planner, and Accountant. If I was in a state that requires you to come forward, I would find a great Makeup Artist to conceal my identity or hire a homeless person to stand in for me.