Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

California 1/3 Billion Dollar Powerball Ticket Lost?

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 7 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
LA Ca.
United States
Member #172750
February 3, 2016
88 Posts
Posted: April 28, 2016, 1:41 am - IP Logged

There's also the issue that California takes longer than other States to pay out, I've seen two months mentioned... so even if they came forward tomorrow they wouldn't have a check until July.... & yes, California mails out a check, not electronic transfer.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4523 Posts
    Posted: April 28, 2016, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

There's also the issue that California takes longer than other States to pay out, I've seen two months mentioned... so even if they came forward tomorrow they wouldn't have a check until July.... & yes, California mails out a check, not electronic transfer.

good to know. I'd ask that it be Fedex'd or I would come pick it up. No way would I allow that mail to travel thru the system and get lost...way more risky.

SEC regulations control how much gets released at time of deposit. That can take more weeks...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United Kingdom
      Member #174071
      April 2, 2016
      6 Posts
      Posted: April 28, 2016, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

That's ridiculous, why does it take so long and sending a cheque what year is it?  The euromillions jackpot is paid immediately and that draws money from multiple countries.

Theox-'s avatar - DAylUYw

United States
        Member #148698
        November 9, 2013
        96 Posts
        Posted: April 29, 2016, 1:57 am - IP Logged

I have a somewhat crazy theory of what might've happened...

A few times I've had a clerk print a ticket without the powerplay option when I requested to have it. Each time the clerk would want to throw away the incorrect ticket and print another one; each time I'd purchase both tickets to play it safe. 

Maybe the winning ticket was placed to the side by a clerk and wasn't purchased by any other customers.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
          Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1506 Posts
          Posted: April 29, 2016, 11:22 am - IP Logged

That's ridiculous, why does it take so long and sending a cheque what year is it?  The euromillions jackpot is paid immediately and that draws money from multiple countries.

Here in California, we have district offices throughout the State. About nine total. I will take my jackpot winning ticket to the Fresno Lottery District Office and they will do the initial paperwork. Then that paperwork is mailed to Sacramento, Our Capital, where it will take approximately four weeks to mail the check to either the winner's address or to the local district office where I will pick it up in person.

I believe that I will ask the Lottery District Office to hold the check for me to pick up. I could have too many letters from beggars in my mailbox. 

Good Luck to all LP members worldwide on winning Power Ball! $314 million dollars. I have no idea how much that would be in pounds or euros.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
            Member #118609
            November 4, 2011
            931 Posts
            Posted: April 29, 2016, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

good to know. I'd ask that it be Fedex'd or I would come pick it up. No way would I allow that mail to travel thru the system and get lost...way more risky.

SEC regulations control how much gets released at time of deposit. That can take more weeks...

Does the SEC actually have a say in how much money can be released at the time of the deposit?  That would put a serious crimp on my banker or Brinks making home deliveries.   I realize banks are required to disclose to our trusty government cash withdrawls but what if a winner wants cash initially as I do.  So far cash is not refused for purchases. 

Anyone, ideas?

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4523 Posts
              Posted: April 29, 2016, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Does the SEC actually have a say in how much money can be released at the time of the deposit?  That would put a serious crimp on my banker or Brinks making home deliveries.   I realize banks are required to disclose to our trusty government cash withdrawls but what if a winner wants cash initially as I do.  So far cash is not refused for purchases. 

Anyone, ideas?

if they are federally insured, then I would think yes. 

Our local credit union banks run similar on banking rules. 

A friend of mine has your plan when he wins. all cash and a cement vault. 

I tend to agree in theory , money in hand , keeps out of the folding of some banking institutions.

The Sec does have parameters for large movement of funds, they are watch dogs for money laundrying and other financial shanigans that business and private citizens seem apt to attempt.

Good luck though! It would be awesome to know someone won and took all cash by brinks. I believe someone posted once how many trucks and personnel that would take.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Inland Empire
                United States
                Member #118116
                October 22, 2011
                316 Posts
                Posted: April 29, 2016, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Can I request a small portion of winning in advance in CA?

United States
                  Member #118609
                  November 4, 2011
                  931 Posts
                  Posted: April 29, 2016, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

if they are federally insured, then I would think yes. 

Our local credit union banks run similar on banking rules. 

A friend of mine has your plan when he wins. all cash and a cement vault. 

I tend to agree in theory , money in hand , keeps out of the folding of some banking institutions.

The Sec does have parameters for large movement of funds, they are watch dogs for money laundrying and other financial shanigans that business and private citizens seem apt to attempt.

Good luck though! It would be awesome to know someone won and took all cash by brinks. I believe someone posted once how many trucks and personnel that would take.

Thanx for the reply and info. Glad to hear your friend has the same plan.  Yes a cement vault/safe room.  I never saw the post about how many trucks and personnel it would take, that would be interesting, might be a little excitement at the bank!  I remember seeing a room filled with u.s. And canadian dollars that supposedly came from a mexican drug bust, I actually kept that "picture for vision" lol....although I believe it amounted to over a billion dollars.  Regardless of the win, my plans remain the same.

My understanding is most banks, not high wealth customer banks like Goldman Sachs which has so many crooks running them, only has FDIC coverage of about $250k per account lol.  I will take my chances.

Got my tickets for MM and PB, good luck to you, your friend and all who play. 

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    604 Posts
                    Posted: April 29, 2016, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Thanx for the reply and info. Glad to hear your friend has the same plan.  Yes a cement vault/safe room.  I never saw the post about how many trucks and personnel it would take, that would be interesting, might be a little excitement at the bank!  I remember seeing a room filled with u.s. And canadian dollars that supposedly came from a mexican drug bust, I actually kept that "picture for vision" lol....although I believe it amounted to over a billion dollars.  Regardless of the win, my plans remain the same.

My understanding is most banks, not high wealth customer banks like Goldman Sachs which has so many crooks running them, only has FDIC coverage of about $250k per account lol.  I will take my chances.

Got my tickets for MM and PB, good luck to you, your friend and all who play. 

You mean this one:

Thud

I think the problem with all cash is that the money actually rots and deteriorates. Some years ago they busted a german bank robber in London trying to exchange DM for £

United States
                      Member #118609
                      November 4, 2011
                      931 Posts
                      Posted: April 29, 2016, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

You mean this one:

Thud

I think the problem with all cash is that the money actually rots and deteriorates. Some years ago they busted a german bank robber in London trying to exchange DM for £

Yes!!! That's the one, thanx.  I love that picture and imagine having some of that in my vault/safe house.

Guess I would need to worry about deterioration.  Would rather have to deal with that than a lack of the greenbacks?

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40299 Posts
                        Posted: April 29, 2016, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

You mean this one:

Thud

A great addition to any home.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

LA Ca.
                          United States
                          Member #172750
                          February 3, 2016
                          88 Posts
                          Posted: April 30, 2016, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Here in California, we have district offices throughout the State. About nine total. I will take my jackpot winning ticket to the Fresno Lottery District Office and they will do the initial paperwork. Then that paperwork is mailed to Sacramento, Our Capital, where it will take approximately four weeks to mail the check to either the winner's address or to the local district office where I will pick it up in person.

I believe that I will ask the Lottery District Office to hold the check for me to pick up. I could have too many letters from beggars in my mailbox. 

Good Luck to all LP members worldwide on winning Power Ball! $314 million dollars. I have no idea how much that would be in pounds or euros.

In the "it takes about two months to mail out the check" article I saw, the reason given was it takes that time to collect the $$$ from all the different States that take part. They were unable to say why it took two months to collect the $$$ in California when it only took half that time (or less) in any other State.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                            Texas Panhandle
                            United States
                            Member #136843
                            December 20, 2012
                            1262 Posts
                            Posted: April 30, 2016, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Can I request a small portion of winning in advance in CA?

I don't think so;  I looked through the calottery website FAQs and didn't see anything. There IS something mentioned on the Powerball FAQ page (about 2/3 down the page under "HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET MY MONEY?)

It takes up to two weeks to collect the cash from the stores around the nation. If you go to the lottery to claim your prize after that two weeks, then, in many states, you can generally have the jackpot money (all cash or the first of the annual payments) hit your bank account the next day - maybe the following day if you come to the lottery office very late in the day. Some lotteries must work through the state system and that can delay the payment. That said, Powerball jackpot winners genneraly (sic) don't have trouble getting a little credit if you wish to buy something before the money arrives. Just mention my name - and that you are the Powerball winner.

Funny!

We discussed this in here a year or two ago.  I'm not sure how much a banker would loan out, but I'd be willing to bet they would gladly loan you enough to let you do the things you needed to do* until you had the check in hand. The banker might need to go to the bank's board of directors for permission to grant you a substantial signature loan, though.  I'd also be willing to bet they'd be much more agreeable to it if you promised to park a good sum of it in their bank.  If you had some qualifying collateral (i.e. a car or house with enough un-mortgaged value left to cover the loan), there shouldn't be too much trouble getting some money.

*Things such as renting a motel room to "lay low" until the attention died down some or to "get outta Dodge" or otherwise "get your ducks in a row". 

I can understand and sympathize with needing enough money to do those things and perhaps not having it.  Personally, since I would have to travel to Austin to claim, I'd have to fly and that's 300 bucks for a RT ticket.  Driving would be cheaper, but would take far too long. (for me)  Then there's probably an overnight stay, cab fare to and from the airport, meals, etc.    I also think most people would quit their job (probably by necessity, what with all the publicity) and they would need money to live on from then until the check cleared.  That might not be the case with all, but...

Of course, a bank isn't the only place to borrow some money;  there are car title loan places, but if you don't have a car, then... Pawn shops could be an option if you have anything of value.  The interest is high, usually 10%/month - borrow a hundred bucks and pay back $110 after a month or $130 at the end of 90 days, usually the term before the pawned item is forfeited.  Your wife might balk at letting you hock her wedding ring, but if you promised to buy her a huge diamond ring once you got the winnings PLUS get her ring out, I'm sure she'd go for it. (or your husband with all his power tools, lawnmower and fishing gear - pawn shops generally will loan money on just about anything of value.  Trust me, I know. <sigh>)

You could even hit up some family member(s) for the money.  I have several who would loan me some bucks and esp. if I told them I'd give them 100% interest when I repaid the loan.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
                             - George Orwell

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                              Member #169277
                              October 10, 2015
                              630 Posts
                              Posted: April 30, 2016, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

The 250k FDIC limit is why CDARs were invented. Better than stuffing your mattress with $100s. Jester Laugh