Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

JP Fantasies - Never Agains!

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 5 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: June 2, 2016, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

We've had plenty of 'Jackpot fever' threads here on LP about the high end cars, mansions, and other such things people would buy if they had the money to do so.

How about a list of 'never agains' if you had the money to enable you not to do things you can't stand.

Working for someone else is an example.

Others?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1276 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2016, 3:45 am - IP Logged

Back when my folks were alive, the family had a get-together and my pop, BIL and nephews were going to the pawn shop and asked if I wanted to go with them to look at the guns, tools and fishing gear.  I declined, and one of my nephews asked me why I didn't want to go.  I told 'em they might enjoy looking at all that stuff, but when I usually went to the pawn shop, it was to hock something.  It's been quite a few years since I've had to do it and I hope I never will ever again.   The only time I can think of it being a good thing would be if I had to get enough money together for a bus ticket to Austin and the Texas Lottery Headquarters in order to claim the JP. (I doubt it will ever come to that but ya never know)

I think I'd probably have a cleaning service in once/week.   I don't mind doing dishes but I really dislike dusting and am not fond of vacuuming or mopping.  I'd also have my oil changed, tires rotated and have any minor repairs done that I now do myself.  I'd definitely have my vehicles detailed or at least splurge on the drive-thru car wash.  I might even hire a lawn service.

I'd have my taxes done, too...something I've never had to do before but this last year's nearly drove me insane.  I hope I'd have so many types of income I'd NEED a CPA to do my returns.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1513 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2016, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Never again run a lottery pool. Confused

Pawn shops are where you can pick up high-end stuff for low-end prices. For example, rolex watches, jewelry, gardening tools.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5595 Posts
        Posted: June 3, 2016, 8:37 am - IP Logged

We've had plenty of 'Jackpot fever' threads here on LP about the high end cars, mansions, and other such things people would buy if they had the money to do so.

How about a list of 'never agains' if you had the money to enable you not to do things you can't stand.

Working for someone else is an example.

Others?

I wouldn't do the normal maintenance around the house. For ex; With all the rain we're getting a couple of the vent pipes that go through the roof leak. So when and if it ever stops raining, I have to go up on the roof with roofing asphalt and patch them up. I've never been afraid of heights (used to work in a shipyard in Lorain OH), but the roof on my house is kinda steep, and I am getting a little old and not as steady as I used to be. I've been up there before, not looking forward to it.

I would even have a lawn service cut my grass.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: June 3, 2016, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Yard work of any kind is my first thought.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #79502
            September 2, 2009
            6395 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2016, 9:24 am - IP Logged

I'd hire someone to do all the cooking ....breakfast, lunch and dinner.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              476 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2016, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I think it is interesting how we "old timers" think along the same lines.  Cooking, cleaning, yard work, house and car maintenance... stuff we have had to learn and do most of our lives, and yes it would be nice to not be "required" to do them.  I remember my dad having me check to see what was wrong with our water heater when I was young.  I used his handy dandy volt meter to test and replaced a water heater element without assistance... when I was 11.  This was before procedure could be looked up on the internet.  Thinking back, no one in their right mind should allow a child to mess with electricity!   I survived though, because that is what we did, persevere. 

However, the one item at the top of my list doesn't have anything to do with actual physical work.  It is to NEVER AGAIN worry about finances and the "what-ifs" of not having enough money, whether it is for retirement or the next month’s rent/mortgage payment.   Take away the mental stress and I'll handle the rest!

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                Member #106923
                February 27, 2011
                476 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2016, 10:15 am - IP Logged

DAMMIT!  I went to rate this topic a 5 and must have had a twitch in the finger.  It clicked a 1 star.  Sorry Coin Toss.

Todd, how about something like this for "shakiest gun in the west" hands:

<script type="text/javascript">    function clicked() {       if (confirm('Confirm your rating?')) {           yourformelement.submit();       } else {           return false;       }    }

or:

var c=confirm(“Confirm your rating?”);
                if(c== false)
                {return false;}
                else
                return true;

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2659 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2016, 10:25 am - IP Logged

DAMMIT!  I went to rate this topic a 5 and must have had a twitch in the finger.  It clicked a 1 star.  Sorry Coin Toss.

<script type="text/javascript">    function clicked() {       if (confirm('Confirm your rating?')) {           yourformelement.submit();       } else {           return false;       }    }

or:

if(c== false)
                  {return false;}
                  else
                  return true;

thats okay LOL

I had an entire email disappear on me last night ,cause of fat finger syndrome jejeje

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                    Member #153629
                    March 20, 2014
                    128 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2016, 11:19 am - IP Logged

This one is easy. I have already done this:

• Stop answering to e-mail, only allow approved senders.
                    • Throw away the alarm clock Bill Murray style (Groundhog Day) and sleep until I awake.
                    • Never argue with idiots, just leave the conversation (not really lotto related)
                    • Never buy used cars or similar from other than retailers. See point above for reason.
                    • Never shop food from cheap food chains like Lidl.
                    • Never do home improvement or yard work that’s are dangerous or above my knowledge.
                    • Cancel insurances.
                    • Leave the union

Might have forgotten something but basically this is what I would do.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

Sunglasses's avatar - nicebear
                      Zaperlopopotam
                      Belgium
                      Member #173932
                      March 26, 2016
                      954 Posts
                      Posted: June 3, 2016, 11:31 am - IP Logged

or:

if(c== false)
                      {return false;}
                      else
                      return true;

That reminds me several missed straight hits in predictions because for me
                      and the rest of the entire world Morning comes before Midday. I also missed
                      other good prices in a similar way.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                        Happy California
                        United States
                        Member #157856
                        August 2, 2014
                        1513 Posts
                        Posted: June 3, 2016, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

This one is easy. I have already done this:

• Stop answering to e-mail, only allow approved senders.
                        • Throw away the alarm clock Bill Murray style (Groundhog Day) and sleep until I awake.
                        • Never argue with idiots, just leave the conversation (not really lotto related)
                        • Never buy used cars or similar from other than retailers. See point above for reason.
                        • Never shop food from cheap food chains like Lidl.
                        • Never do home improvement or yard work that’s are dangerous or above my knowledge.
                        • Cancel insurances.
                        • Leave the union

Might have forgotten something but basically this is what I would do.

bigbuckswede, You may want to reconsider not buying Umbrella Insurance. Also called Excess Liability Insurance. Each millionaire and richer has a target on their back. As long as you are rich you will need this type of coverage. You will operate all of your new vehicles with a sense of calmness. You will live on your property peacefully. 

Lawyers will be the first professionals that I will hire.Group Hug

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: June 3, 2016, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

Never again look at the price of a steak before deciding whether to buy it.

Never again buy clothing based on which is least expensive.

Never again watch NCAA football games on an illegal online stream because I don't want to waste money on cable/dish TV or on a game ticket.

Never again rush to fill my gas tank when prices fall fifty cents a gallon.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                            Texas Panhandle
                            United States
                            Member #136843
                            December 20, 2012
                            1276 Posts
                            Posted: June 3, 2016, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  Add a couple of those things to my list, too.

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                              Member #153629
                              March 20, 2014
                              128 Posts
                              Posted: June 3, 2016, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

bigbuckswede, You may want to reconsider not buying Umbrella Insurance. Also called Excess Liability Insurance. Each millionaire and richer has a target on their back. As long as you are rich you will need this type of coverage. You will operate all of your new vehicles with a sense of calmness. You will live on your property peacefully. 

Lawyers will be the first professionals that I will hire.Group Hug

I have never heard of such troubles in Sweden, but in the land of plenty I guess I would have that kind of insurance.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%