Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone else notice this about Mega Millions

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 7 months ago by Drenick1.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
USA
United States
Member #152799
February 25, 2014
1095 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2016, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

The Mega Millions annuity jackpot rose $9 million from $ 251 million to $260 million but the cash value went up from $162.8 million to $173.3 million a net jump of 10.5 million.

Sunglasses's avatar - nicebear
    Zaperlopopotam
    Belgium
    Member #173932
    March 26, 2016
    1167 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2016, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Some algorithm?

United States
      Member #170707
      December 13, 2015
      185 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2016, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

honestly, I didn't notice.

But I did notice that I did not winBlue Thinking

LA Ca.
        United States
        Member #172750
        February 3, 2016
        89 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2016, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering about that myself... plus it only increased by $9M when the previous rollover increases have been at least $15M during the past two weeks & at least $10M since April 26th.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5146 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2016, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

The Mega Millions annuity jackpot rose $9 million from $ 251 million to $260 million but the cash value went up from $162.8 million to $173.3 million a net jump of 10.5 million.

MM lottery must be out sourcing their accounting to the OMB government accounting pool on account some consultant told them out sourcing would save them more monnie!

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
            Member #169277
            October 10, 2015
            630 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2016, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

There must have been a change in the interest rate that MUSL can get on the annuity investments. A 10.5 million change in the cash value would normally mean about 16 million more for the annuity.

The cash lump sum is what matters though, so whatever.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1552 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2016, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

There must have been a change in the interest rate that MUSL can get on the annuity investments. A 10.5 million change in the cash value would normally mean about 16 million more for the annuity.

The cash lump sum is what matters though, so whatever.

I Agree! and I did notice it. Who can complain about a cash lump sum just over $100,000,000.00? That is the amount that I will end up after the deduction and all taxes are paid by April 15,2017.

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19904 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2016, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! and I did notice it. Who can complain about a cash lump sum just over $100,000,000.00? That is the amount that I will end up after the deduction and all taxes are paid by April 15,2017.

"That is the amount that I will end up after the deduction and all taxes are paid by April 15,2017."

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Turkey

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1200 Posts
                  Posted: June 4, 2016, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I did notice but didn't really care.

What really stunned me is an advertised jackpot of over $250 million with only a $9 million bump on the rollover. Has that ever happened before in the history of MUSL??? 

$9M isn't jackpot fatigue, it's jackpot exhaustion. One winter a couple years back had lower than normal sales due to severe weather in many states forcing people to stay home. The rollovers were still more than this.

Waiting to see if this is an anomaly or the new normal.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                    Member #106923
                    February 27, 2011
                    479 Posts
                    Posted: June 4, 2016, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

I did notice but didn't really care.

What really stunned me is an advertised jackpot of over $250 million with only a $9 million bump on the rollover. Has that ever happened before in the history of MUSL??? 

$9M isn't jackpot fatigue, it's jackpot exhaustion. One winter a couple years back had lower than normal sales due to severe weather in many states forcing people to stay home. The rollovers were still more than this.

Waiting to see if this is an anomaly or the new normal.

My thoughts exactly, Teddi.  I had the jackpot pegged to rise to $271.  This was a conservative estimate because sales have not been stellar.  Needless to say the $260 figure was a shocker.  If this is the beginning of a new normal I wonder if MUSL will listen to the statement players are making?

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #171219
                      January 3, 2016
                      110 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2016, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

It was probably a freak occurence. If it gets above $300 million, it will be on TV. Doubt it will be a small jump in that case.

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1200 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2016, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

My thoughts exactly, Teddi.  I had the jackpot pegged to rise to $271.  This was a conservative estimate because sales have not been stellar.  Needless to say the $260 figure was a shocker.  If this is the beginning of a new normal I wonder if MUSL will listen to the statement players are making?

I'd expected it to be between 275 and 300 because PB isn't high enough to steal away sales. I just don't get it.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

United States
                          Member #106134
                          February 13, 2011
                          806 Posts
                          Posted: June 5, 2016, 7:46 am - IP Logged

I've noticed that "can't win" is very strong with this one!

I expect it to roll until it gets to about a $4 billion jackpot with as strong as "can't win" has been.

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1200 Posts
                            Posted: June 5, 2016, 11:04 am - IP Logged

It was probably a freak occurence. If it gets above $300 million, it will be on TV. Doubt it will be a small jump in that case.

Well yes. Once it hits the news/media, we'll see a pick up in sales. That's a given. But when has a JP of over $250 million ever needed media attention to surpass $15 million on the rollover? Regardless of weather, economy, lack of media attention, status of other MUSL jackpots etc, $250 million has always generated more ticket sales than this.

Considering how many states rely on ticket sales to pay for education and infrastructure, this big of a fall off is something they better pray is a fluke.

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                              Upstate NY
                              United States
                              Member #174656
                              May 5, 2016
                              837 Posts
                              Posted: June 5, 2016, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering about that myself... plus it only increased by $9M when the previous rollover increases have been at least $15M during the past two weeks & at least $10M since April 26th.

I'm a college student and I've noticed that for the spring graduations, many families buy lottery tickets as a gift for the graduates. Maybe the graduations had something to do with the bigger increases and the end of it being why it was so little this time around. Just saying.