Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone else notice this about Mega Millions

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 6 months ago by Drenick1.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
699 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2016, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

With the jackpot rising, ticket sales are rising too, make the jackpot grow even faster.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2016, 7:07 am - IP Logged

i  only noticed the jackpot graph in results is flattening out not climbing more sharply, unusual im used to that getting steeper. people sick of paying only a buck for lotto over there?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      878 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2016, 8:18 am - IP Logged

It could be because of the lower interest rates. More cash needed to generate the annuity.

As long as the check clears after it hits my bank....that's all I care about.

BananaDanceCheers

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
        USA
        United States
        Member #152799
        February 25, 2014
        1092 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2016, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

There must have been a change in the interest rate that MUSL can get on the annuity investments. A 10.5 million change in the cash value would normally mean about 16 million more for the annuity.

The cash lump sum is what matters though, so whatever.

The only logical reason in which the cash value goes up more than an annuity would be a negative interest rate. There are many countries in Europe that have negative interest rates in which the customer actually has to pay the bank a percentage to keep his or her money.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1183 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2016, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm a college student and I've noticed that for the spring graduations, many families buy lottery tickets as a gift for the graduates. Maybe the graduations had something to do with the bigger increases and the end of it being why it was so little this time around. Just saying. 

Doubtful. Historically, jackpot growth has little if anything to do with the time of year (except around Xmas) and mainly to do with its size, the size of competing jackpots, and how much media attention it gets. No matter what is going on in the world, I have never seen a MUSL jackpot at a quarter of a billion dollars get only a $9M rollover. If hurricanes, snowmageddons, and $4/gallon gas couldn't deter people from buying tickets, I'm not seeing graduations playing that big of a factor. 

Then again, since I can't come up with any credible explanation for why it happened, you may very well be proven right.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
            Upstate NY
            United States
            Member #174656
            May 5, 2016
            762 Posts
            Posted: June 8, 2016, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Doubtful. Historically, jackpot growth has little if anything to do with the time of year (except around Xmas) and mainly to do with its size, the size of competing jackpots, and how much media attention it gets. No matter what is going on in the world, I have never seen a MUSL jackpot at a quarter of a billion dollars get only a $9M rollover. If hurricanes, snowmageddons, and $4/gallon gas couldn't deter people from buying tickets, I'm not seeing graduations playing that big of a factor. 

Then again, since I can't come up with any credible explanation for why it happened, you may very well be proven right.

I doubt it just as much as you, but given there isn't an obvious reason i figured i may as well throw the idea out here. It looks like it was an anomaly given it just went up $20M. 

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1183 Posts
              Posted: June 8, 2016, 2:51 am - IP Logged

I doubt it just as much as you, but given there isn't an obvious reason i figured i may as well throw the idea out here. It looks like it was an anomaly given it just went up $20M. 

Nope. We're still in anomaly territory. Maybe we could chalk up the $9M as a fluke, but a $20M rollover at this stage with a jackpot that also has a correspondingly high cash value, is still really low. Unexplainably low. Maybe people started looking at the odds because we have reduced sales in MUSL lotteries but an increase in sales for scratchoffs.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40518 Posts
                Posted: June 8, 2016, 8:17 am - IP Logged

The Mega Millions annuity jackpot rose $9 million from $ 251 million to $260 million but the cash value went up from $162.8 million to $173.3 million a net jump of 10.5 million.

I never pay attention to the amount, not until I win.Smiley

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5610 Posts
                  Posted: June 8, 2016, 9:14 am - IP Logged

I never pay attention to the amount, not until I win.Smiley

I Agree!

The amount doesn't matter.

Because whatever the amount is.....RETIREMENT BABY!!!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    40518 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2016, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Amen

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                      Member #169277
                      October 10, 2015
                      630 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2016, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Nope. We're still in anomaly territory. Maybe we could chalk up the $9M as a fluke, but a $20M rollover at this stage with a jackpot that also has a correspondingly high cash value, is still really low. Unexplainably low. Maybe people started looking at the odds because we have reduced sales in MUSL lotteries but an increase in sales for scratchoffs.

I think it has more to do with the occasional players who used to buy only when 100 or 200 million jackpots would make the news. Now that they've heard of a billion dollar jackpot, they're holding off for even higher numbers.

I hope MUSL doesn't think they can fix this by changing the MM matrix.

USA
                        United States
                        Member #152799
                        February 25, 2014
                        1092 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I think a base $15million MM jackpot win would be cutting it in terms of providing a dream retirement but I don't doubt it would be a good supplemental nest egg. A sole winner would net a cash payout of approximately $5 million after ALL taxes. On the other hand, the Powerball base jackpot of $40 million (cash value net of $13-$14 Million) should definitely secure an ideal and dream worthy retirement for 99% of us.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                          Member #106923
                          February 27, 2011
                          478 Posts
                          Posted: June 8, 2016, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I think a base $15million MM jackpot win would be cutting it in terms of providing a dream retirement but I don't doubt it would be a good supplemental nest egg. A sole winner would net a cash payout of approximately $5 million after ALL taxes. On the other hand, the Powerball base jackpot of $40 million (cash value net of $13-$14 Million) should definitely secure an ideal and dream worthy retirement for 99% of us.

If the cash value of a jackpot puts me in the top 1% of net worth all is good in my world!

Approve

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                            Upstate NY
                            United States
                            Member #174656
                            May 5, 2016
                            762 Posts
                            Posted: June 8, 2016, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Simple explanation, most of the people who come out of the woodwork when the jackpot gets big don't see 280 million as being large enough to spend money on it. 

USA
                              United States
                              Member #152799
                              February 25, 2014
                              1092 Posts
                              Posted: June 8, 2016, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

If the cash value of a jackpot puts me in the top 1% of net worth all is good in my world!

Approve

Having $8 million in net assets not including your primary residence would put you in the top 1%. I wouldn't mind that but I have loftier dreams of being in the top 0.1% according to multiple publications requires a net worth of at least $20-$30 million (this figure always seems to change every year with some years being less than the prior year).