Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone else notice this about Mega Millions

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 6 months ago by Drenick1.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2016, 1:53 am - IP Logged

The only logical reason in which the cash value goes up more than an annuity would be a negative interest rate. There are many countries in Europe that have negative interest rates in which the customer actually has to pay the bank a percentage to keep his or her money.

The logical reason is that the interest rate applies to all of the cash, not just the increase since the previous drawing. You can see that in this table of PB values: http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/lottery/Documents/jackpotestimates/pb20160608.pdf  The advertised annuity is always the total cash value multiplied by the rate for that drawing (with a minor amount of rounding).

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5611 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2016, 8:47 am - IP Logged

I think a base $15million MM jackpot win would be cutting it in terms of providing a dream retirement but I don't doubt it would be a good supplemental nest egg. A sole winner would net a cash payout of approximately $5 million after ALL taxes. On the other hand, the Powerball base jackpot of $40 million (cash value net of $13-$14 Million) should definitely secure an ideal and dream worthy retirement for 99% of us.

At my age it would be plenty to live on. I don't care about 1% of anything. Just what I would need to be debt free and live comfortably for 20-25 years.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
      USA
      United States
      Member #152799
      February 25, 2014
      1092 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2016, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

The logical reason is that the interest rate applies to all of the cash, not just the increase since the previous drawing. You can see that in this table of PB values: http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/lottery/Documents/jackpotestimates/pb20160608.pdf  The advertised annuity is always the total cash value multiplied by the rate for that drawing (with a minor amount of rounding).

I wasn't referring to all of the cash in the current jackpot just the previous increase. An annuity valued at $9 million with a cash value of $10.8 million would require a negative interest rate. Simply put, your cash investment of $10.8 million would give you an annuity with a value of $9 million.

USA
        United States
        Member #152799
        February 25, 2014
        1092 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2016, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

At my age it would be plenty to live on. I don't care about 1% of anything. Just what I would need to be debt free and live comfortably for 20-25 years.

I would agree that anyone who has modest goals and is just interested in being debt free while enjoying a comfortable lifestyle would never need several millions As long as you're sensible and stay healthy there is no reason a $1 million nest egg couldn't sustain you for 25 years.

The caveat is unexpected health care/assisted living expenses many of us may encounter as we get much older plays a major role in just how far our money will last.

LA Ca.
          United States
          Member #172750
          February 3, 2016
          89 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2016, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

It was addressed in the news forum a  couple of days ago:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/304029

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
            Member #134627
            November 2, 2012
            1001 Posts
            Posted: June 11, 2016, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Then it makes sense not to use numbers associated with graduation month and approximate birthdays of the graduates.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              478 Posts
              Posted: June 14, 2016, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I thought some might like the sales figures (rounded) for the current MegaMillions run (sales do not include megaplier).

Jackpot (in M)

Sales (in M)

Increase (in M)

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

USA
                United States
                Member #152799
                February 25, 2014
                1092 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2016, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Thank you realtorjim, for the sales figures.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2016, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I wasn't referring to all of the cash in the current jackpot just the previous increase. An annuity valued at $9 million with a cash value of $10.8 million would require a negative interest rate. Simply put, your cash investment of $10.8 million would give you an annuity with a value of $9 million.

You may not have been referring to all of the cash, but that's what's used to determine the annuity value. There is no annuity valued at $9 million, and there's no negative interest rate, as part of the jackpot. There's a total cash value (or was at that time) of  $173.3 million, and if it had been invested at the lower (but still positive) interest rate available at that time it would have produced annuity payments totaling $260 million.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                    Brooklyn, NY
                    United States
                    Member #169723
                    October 29, 2015
                    879 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2016, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I would agree that anyone who has modest goals and is just interested in being debt free while enjoying a comfortable lifestyle would never need several millions As long as you're sensible and stay healthy there is no reason a $1 million nest egg couldn't sustain you for 25 years.

The caveat is unexpected health care/assisted living expenses many of us may encounter as we get much older plays a major role in just how far our money will last.

I don't know what your standards of living are, but I would want need more than $40,000 / year to live on.

Between general living expenses, utilities, food and other necessities and a nice vehicle (with insurance) that is just not enough.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

USA
                      United States
                      Member #152799
                      February 25, 2014
                      1092 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2016, 11:15 am - IP Logged

I don't know what your standards of living are, but I would want need more than $40,000 / year to live on.

Between general living expenses, utilities, food and other necessities and a nice vehicle (with insurance) that is just not enough.

I was referring to the $1,000,000 amount as a supplement to ones current income. There is absolutely no way anyone could retire comfortably at a young age (under 40) with that amount. If by chance someone got $1million tax free and was in their 70's then it should be ok as long as no unexpected medical situation arises.