Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you react?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Elliptic7.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Salt Lake City, UT
United States
Member #175535
June 21, 2016
11 Posts
Posted: June 21, 2016, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

So, I have been here before, and decided to come back.   I am in a bad position that makes me sick to my stomach.

I have been playing the same six sets of numbers in powerball for the past 12 years.   And have been sending money to a friend out of state because he is in a state that you can claim anonymously.   (This is not illegal.  I have checked into it.  Besides you can claim through the mail, and get money in the mail from lotteries, even if you are out of state.)

Anyway, this is the third time something has happened that I had to end up going out of state to get another set of tickets because he 1) first time, he lost the money; 2) another time screwed up on one of the lines; and 3) this last week, he has lost the tickets that he already bought.    I trust that he bought them.   I don't have any doubt, but what gives me the sick feeling is, what if this is the batch that wins, not only the money I have spent over the last 12 years would be lost, but the potential winning money would be lost.   I want to say "what the f---" but I am not a confrontational person.   If we win something maybe I might blow my top.   He is under the impression that the store will vouch for him.   (I know better).  It is so frustrating, because now, I will have to go to Wyoming on Saturday to get a new set of draws.   I pay him 20 dollars to buy the tickets as well as a promise that if we hit big, I will share it with him.   You'd think he would be careful.   I don't know.  I just know I am sick because every Wednesday and Saturday I hope that I wake up the next morning to a win.  When stuff like this happens, I hope I don't wake up to a win.   

I really don't know what to do.   I am frustrated at this point, because I worry that they will hit the time they are lost.

Uggh.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1522 Posts
    Posted: June 21, 2016, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Friends can be inconvenient. Your friend speaks louder with his actions than he does with words. He does not want to help you win. Does he believe you when you say you will share?

Is this a friend you want to grow old with?

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Salt Lake City, UT
      United States
      Member #175535
      June 21, 2016
      11 Posts
      Posted: June 21, 2016, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

He said if it wasn't for me he wouldn't even be playing.  yes, he knows I will share.   He signs the tickets and sends them back to me so that neither can jip the other.   I am ok with that.   Unfortunately, because this doesn't seem like a big deal to him and he doesn't think we will ever win, I think he just is careless.

I love the "Is this a friend you want to grow old with."    We are mutual acquantences is more like it.  I call him friend because we know each other.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: June 21, 2016, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

So, I have been here before, and decided to come back.   I am in a bad position that makes me sick to my stomach.

I have been playing the same six sets of numbers in powerball for the past 12 years.   And have been sending money to a friend out of state because he is in a state that you can claim anonymously.   (This is not illegal.  I have checked into it.  Besides you can claim through the mail, and get money in the mail from lotteries, even if you are out of state.)

Anyway, this is the third time something has happened that I had to end up going out of state to get another set of tickets because he 1) first time, he lost the money; 2) another time screwed up on one of the lines; and 3) this last week, he has lost the tickets that he already bought.    I trust that he bought them.   I don't have any doubt, but what gives me the sick feeling is, what if this is the batch that wins, not only the money I have spent over the last 12 years would be lost, but the potential winning money would be lost.   I want to say "what the f---" but I am not a confrontational person.   If we win something maybe I might blow my top.   He is under the impression that the store will vouch for him.   (I know better).  It is so frustrating, because now, I will have to go to Wyoming on Saturday to get a new set of draws.   I pay him 20 dollars to buy the tickets as well as a promise that if we hit big, I will share it with him.   You'd think he would be careful.   I don't know.  I just know I am sick because every Wednesday and Saturday I hope that I wake up the next morning to a win.  When stuff like this happens, I hope I don't wake up to a win.   

I really don't know what to do.   I am frustrated at this point, because I worry that they will hit the time they are lost.

Uggh.

Before MM came to  Ohio I would drive to Michigan for Big Game tickets.  To Save some money I asked my brother who lived in Virginia if he would pick up some tickets if I paid him in advance and sent him a check for $100.  A couple of weeks later when the jackpot exceeded $200M, i called and asked him to pick up 10 lines for me and he claimed to be mad that I asked him to do something against his religion.  He didn't buy any tickets or return my check.  Because he's family I agreed never to mention lotteries to him ever again even if I won a jackpot.

I learned my lesson, don't include family or friends in my lottery playing or my  winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
          Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1522 Posts
          Posted: June 21, 2016, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Before MM came to  Ohio I would drive to Michigan for Big Game tickets.  To Save some money I asked my brother who lived in Virginia if he would pick up some tickets if I paid him in advance and sent him a check for $100.  A couple of weeks later when the jackpot exceeded $200M, i called and asked him to pick up 10 lines for me and he claimed to be mad that I asked him to do something against his religion.  He didn't buy any tickets or return my check.  Because he's family I agreed never to mention lotteries to him ever again even if I won a jackpot.

I learned my lesson, don't include family or friends in my lottery playing or my  winnings.

I Agree! "I learned my lesson, don't include family or friends in my lottery playing or my winnings."

I need to win big because I promised family some of my winnings. There could be problems for me if I win small, like a million dollars.

Argue

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1954 Posts
            Posted: June 21, 2016, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I think you need to just buy the tickets yourself.

Gonna win.Big Smile

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
              Green Bay
              United States
              Member #169391
              October 15, 2015
              1246 Posts
              Posted: June 21, 2016, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Save the headache, buy the tickets yourself.  Screw anonymity.  Worry about winning.

Never give up.  Banana

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22943 Posts
                Posted: June 21, 2016, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Lame.

If he's claiming to lose tickets, he may have lost your money at times too....in his pocket.

It's not a lot of money but still, if he forgets and has the money, is it possible he's looking at 

it as extra cash? You can't prove a purchase to you without tickets.

Store owners can't vouch for anything...'Yeah this guy played those numbers Friday...right.

No ticket, no money.

Look, the guy let you down. Is that a friend who forgets something that is important to you?

He'd be the best friend in the world if you won.

If you go out of state, why don't you buy advanced draws? Do you play every week?

He is not reliable. Unreliable might turn into untrustworthy soon. What, really, do you think he 

would do if those numbers came up and he had the tickets? He might just say who is

SWS050? (Insert real name but you get it), never heard of him. Imagine that! Talk about sick.

Best to do your own business and, sorry, trust no one.

You say you just know him...that's worse cause then you really don't.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  Mcminnville, Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #3013
                  December 13, 2003
                  3052 Posts
                  Posted: June 21, 2016, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

It looks like you are in a state that doesn't have a lottery utah.  So I would save my money and travel to another state and buy multi-draws of the games you like to play and not send your friend any money at all.  Save the headache.-weshar75

US Flag

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: June 21, 2016, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't trust him.  He may not be purposely screwing up, but he's not at all reliable.  I'd thank him for his service and either find someone else in an anon state, or drive to WY or ID to buy tickets.

Oh, and be sure to explicitly state in an email which you save a copy of, that this is the end of any sharing schemes/agreements you may have set up with him.  As of NOW our agreement to split/share any lottery winnings is dissolved.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                      Green Bay
                      United States
                      Member #169391
                      October 15, 2015
                      1246 Posts
                      Posted: June 21, 2016, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

It looks like you are in a state that doesn't have a lottery utah.  So I would save my money and travel to another state and buy multi-draws of the games you like to play and not send your friend any money at all.  Save the headache.-weshar75

US Flag

Utah doesn't have a lottery?  Mad

Time to move!  Leaving

Never give up.  Banana

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22943 Posts
                        Posted: June 21, 2016, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't trust him.  He may not be purposely screwing up, but he's not at all reliable.  I'd thank him for his service and either find someone else in an anon state, or drive to WY or ID to buy tickets.

Oh, and be sure to explicitly state in an email which you save a copy of, that this is the end of any sharing schemes/agreements you may have set up with him.  As of NOW our agreement to split/share any lottery winnings is dissolved.

HoLeeKau, that's a very good idea about dissolving the partnership in writing. We've

seen what can happen to people who have said they would share in the past and 

went solo and won.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                          Winning makes me smile.
                          bel air maryland
                          United States
                          Member #90251
                          April 24, 2010
                          4874 Posts
                          Posted: June 21, 2016, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Not just an email, but do it in writing and date it and take a photo of it. Emails can be accidentally deleted.  Date it and photo

it, so he can't say; "you sent it after you won, and the deal still goes." Better yet, mail it return receipt requested. 

He sounds like someone who would lawyer up in a heartbeat, so cover your butt.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Kola's avatar - image
                            Blundering Time Traveler

United States
                            Member #28945
                            December 25, 2005
                            1528 Posts
                            Posted: June 22, 2016, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Uggh.

Hello SWS050,

This is the 3rd time something negative has happened with this guy you say? In my opinion, the writing is on the wall and Life has given you the gift of 3 clear warnings to initiate a course correction. Even though they're always there, sometimes the warnings are not so clear. All the posters, especially HoLeeKau and grwurston have given you great advice. I think you should act on it immediately. Don't allow your mind to rationalize and overrule what your gut is trying to tell you, for after all you started the thread saying you were "sick to my stomach".

Good luck!

Legend says that The Craggy One was once asked about the Lottery Circle and the aged Lottery LoreKeeper whispered in his gravelly eloquence,"It is known among our kind that 2 successive draws are in reality the 2 center-points of 2 intersecting circles that share a common radius - a Root Center. This Vesica Piscis is the creative womb for all numbers, the Still Point from which two draws will unite & a new one is born. This "perfect" space is a wormhole through Time(Change). Master its proportions & your numerical predictions will not falter". 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                              A long and winding road
                              United States
                              Member #17084
                              June 10, 2005
                              4529 Posts
                              Posted: June 22, 2016, 1:48 am - IP Logged

He said if it wasn't for me he wouldn't even be playing.  yes, he knows I will share.   He signs the tickets and sends them back to me so that neither can jip the other.   I am ok with that.   Unfortunately, because this doesn't seem like a big deal to him and he doesn't think we will ever win, I think he just is careless.

I love the "Is this a friend you want to grow old with."    We are mutual acquantences is more like it.  I call him friend because we know each other.

Thank him for his past jaunts, he deserves to know that his efforts were appreciated. Kindly dissolve the agreement. We can speculate all we want, he simply may have other priorities. 

A tip: whoever signs the ticket is the owner of it. That is the rule . No way would I accept a signed ticket by someone else. It would create havoc. 

Try an online site that sells tickets. It's cheaper in fees then gas cost and time to run to another state. Read their rules, I vaguely recall anonymity being in the terms. 

Best to you in awaking to a big win! 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014