Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you react?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 6 months ago by Elliptic7.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19967 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2016, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Save the headache, buy the tickets yourself.  Screw anonymity.  Worry about winning.

How would you react? I Don't think he's coming backGreen laugh

Patriot

NH
    United States
    Member #83352
    December 5, 2009
    223 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2016, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

So, I have been here before, and decided to come back.   I am in a bad position that makes me sick to my stomach.

I have been playing the same six sets of numbers in powerball for the past 12 years.   And have been sending money to a friend out of state because he is in a state that you can claim anonymously.   (This is not illegal.  I have checked into it.  Besides you can claim through the mail, and get money in the mail from lotteries, even if you are out of state.)

Anyway, this is the third time something has happened that I had to end up going out of state to get another set of tickets because he 1) first time, he lost the money; 2) another time screwed up on one of the lines; and 3) this last week, he has lost the tickets that he already bought.    I trust that he bought them.   I don't have any doubt, but what gives me the sick feeling is, what if this is the batch that wins, not only the money I have spent over the last 12 years would be lost, but the potential winning money would be lost.   I want to say "what the f---" but I am not a confrontational person.   If we win something maybe I might blow my top.   He is under the impression that the store will vouch for him.   (I know better).  It is so frustrating, because now, I will have to go to Wyoming on Saturday to get a new set of draws.   I pay him 20 dollars to buy the tickets as well as a promise that if we hit big, I will share it with him.   You'd think he would be careful.   I don't know.  I just know I am sick because every Wednesday and Saturday I hope that I wake up the next morning to a win.  When stuff like this happens, I hope I don't wake up to a win.   

I really don't know what to do.   I am frustrated at this point, because I worry that they will hit the time they are lost.

Uggh.

I don't care who your friend is. If your numbers hit while their in his wallet at his house, chances are more often than not the world is going to know who you are because you will be looking at a court battle...Trust friends with your life, but not your money or your wife...Just buy your tickets in your State and not worry about staying anon if you ever hit.

Portland, OR
      United States
      Member #145973
      August 20, 2013
      226 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2016, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

So, I have been here before, and decided to come back.   I am in a bad position that makes me sick to my stomach.

I have been playing the same six sets of numbers in powerball for the past 12 years.   And have been sending money to a friend out of state because he is in a state that you can claim anonymously.   (This is not illegal.  I have checked into it.  Besides you can claim through the mail, and get money in the mail from lotteries, even if you are out of state.)

Anyway, this is the third time something has happened that I had to end up going out of state to get another set of tickets because he 1) first time, he lost the money; 2) another time screwed up on one of the lines; and 3) this last week, he has lost the tickets that he already bought.    I trust that he bought them.   I don't have any doubt, but what gives me the sick feeling is, what if this is the batch that wins, not only the money I have spent over the last 12 years would be lost, but the potential winning money would be lost.   I want to say "what the f---" but I am not a confrontational person.   If we win something maybe I might blow my top.   He is under the impression that the store will vouch for him.   (I know better).  It is so frustrating, because now, I will have to go to Wyoming on Saturday to get a new set of draws.   I pay him 20 dollars to buy the tickets as well as a promise that if we hit big, I will share it with him.   You'd think he would be careful.   I don't know.  I just know I am sick because every Wednesday and Saturday I hope that I wake up the next morning to a win.  When stuff like this happens, I hope I don't wake up to a win.   

I really don't know what to do.   I am frustrated at this point, because I worry that they will hit the time they are lost.

Uggh.

I would not trust that friend with your lottery ticket or your money.  Save yourself some big headache and buy it in your state. 

Thank God or maybe not that I'm in Washington state, no state tax.  But I live 7 miles from the Oregon (tax hell)  border where my 8-year-old daughter lives and where I would love to buy a house to be close to her, if I won the lottery.  If I win and get the "annuity" (most likely as name change, updating records, getting a good money team will take more than 2 months -the time limit to choose the lump sum in most states), then I would have to buy a house on this side of the border I guess or pay state taxes every year in Oregon.  That's another disadvantage of the annuity, moving can be costly!  Ain't that break yar heart? LOL  I don't think there is a work around for that.  Don't know.  I think I'd better worry about winning the darn JP first.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
        Upstate NY
        United States
        Member #174656
        May 5, 2016
        837 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2016, 1:02 am - IP Logged

I don't care who your friend is. If your numbers hit while their in his wallet at his house, chances are more often than not the world is going to know who you are because you will be looking at a court battle...Trust friends with your life, but not your money or your wife...Just buy your tickets in your State and not worry about staying anon if you ever hit.

(S)He is in Utah, which doesn't have a lottery. 

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
          Upstate NY
          United States
          Member #174656
          May 5, 2016
          837 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2016, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I would not trust that friend with your lottery ticket or your money.  Save yourself some big headache and buy it in your state. 

Thank God or maybe not that I'm in Washington state, no state tax.  But I live 7 miles from the Oregon (tax hell)  border where my 8-year-old daughter lives and where I would love to buy a house to be close to her, if I won the lottery.  If I win and get the "annuity" (most likely as name change, updating records, getting a good money team will take more than 2 months -the time limit to choose the lump sum in most states), then I would have to buy a house on this side of the border I guess or pay state taxes every year in Oregon.  That's another disadvantage of the annuity, moving can be costly!  Ain't that break yar heart? LOL  I don't think there is a work around for that.  Don't know.  I think I'd better worry about winning the darn JP first.

(S)He is in Utah, which doesn't have a lottery. 

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2016, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Not just an email, but do it in writing and date it and take a photo of it. Emails can be accidentally deleted.  Date it and photo

Then again, emails never really go away, do they?  Just ask Ms. Clinton.  LOL

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19967 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2016, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Not just an email, but do it in writing and date it and take a photo of it. Emails can be accidentally deleted.  Date it and photo

Then again, emails never really go away, do they?  Just ask Ms. Clinton.  LOL

I Agree!

Patriot

datamon414's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Keene, NH
                United States
                Member #117936
                October 18, 2011
                18 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2016, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Uggh.

Purchase the tickets yourself, up to twenty pre-draws for most online games.
                In some states you can actually purchase in advance from the State Lottery Commission.
                In the digital age, nobody can remain anonymous. Consider the service a professional make-up
                artist for your jackpot interview.
                Good Luck.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                  Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2016, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

If you don't want to bother your friend or don't feel you can trust them to buy your tickets correctly, try the lotter.

They advertise on The Lottery Post. If Todd can trust them, so can you! Just click on the ad to the left that says PLAY ONLINE!

Cheers

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3316 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2016, 11:25 am - IP Logged

If you really live in Salt Lake City and have a car, why don't you drive the 1h15min to Evanston and buy multi-draw tickets?

Most people commute to work between 30-60min, so unless you can't afford the gas once a week, why would you put up with someone that unreliable?

this is the best advice i think, go for a drive, buy as many advanced tickets as you are comfortable with. and maker the trip a regular event, stop have a burger and coffee. come home.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                      North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #59855
                      March 29, 2008
                      31955 Posts
                      Posted: July 6, 2016, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Uggh.

I would never ever do that!

Something sounds really fishy about your friend...sometimes you think you can trust someone but you really can't...believe me I know for sure!

As a matter of fact a clerk said she wished she could buy a mega ball ticket yesterday to me but couldn't on the clock and when she gets off work it will be too late.

I offered to buy one and give it to her but she wouldn't let me...now that I've had time to think about it...IF I had bought one for her and it had won big I really don't think she would share it with me....I am only human so I would have felt bad knowing I bought it for her & it could have been me that won.

Does that sound selfish?

I don't know why I even offered to buy her one because I always have thought everyone should buy their own unless it's a group who have gone in together & maybe signed a paper to share in the winnings if they should win.

Salt Lake City, UT
                        United States
                        Member #175535
                        June 21, 2016
                        11 Posts
                        Posted: July 8, 2016, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Update on this.  I took people's advise and drove to Wyoming and got my own tickets.   So, if in the next 4 draws someone in Wyoming hits powerball and someone in Ohio wins powerball and the Ohio ticket is never claimed, you'll know who it is.  LOL.

I also might add, in order to answer the question of who cares if it is a anonymous state, you just want to win..  A little history, I first used a friend in Idaho, but she moved, then I used a friend in Arkansas, but she quit her job, which brought me to the guy in Ohio.   I send him the lottery money and the 20 bucks because he not only saves me time and gas, probably about 20.00 in gas to go out of state, but since he was in Ohio, that is why I chose him (the anonymous portion).   I would have gone to idaho or wyoming on my own, but I work two jobs and it is hard to get up there; on top of that traveling that distance in the snow during the winter is cruel on my nerves.    But, that is why I picked Ohio.  At this point though, I do just want to win, so the advise was well taken.   

Thanks all for the good advice.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                          Brooklyn, NY
                          United States
                          Member #169723
                          October 29, 2015
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: July 12, 2016, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Update on this.  I took people's advise and drove to Wyoming and got my own tickets.   So, if in the next 4 draws someone in Wyoming hits powerball and someone in Ohio wins powerball and the Ohio ticket is never claimed, you'll know who it is.  LOL.

I also might add, in order to answer the question of who cares if it is a anonymous state, you just want to win..  A little history, I first used a friend in Idaho, but she moved, then I used a friend in Arkansas, but she quit her job, which brought me to the guy in Ohio.   I send him the lottery money and the 20 bucks because he not only saves me time and gas, probably about 20.00 in gas to go out of state, but since he was in Ohio, that is why I chose him (the anonymous portion).   I would have gone to idaho or wyoming on my own, but I work two jobs and it is hard to get up there; on top of that traveling that distance in the snow during the winter is cruel on my nerves.    But, that is why I picked Ohio.  At this point though, I do just want to win, so the advise was well taken.   

Thanks all for the good advice.

You drove approximately 90 miles (each way) and bought only 2 weeks worth of tickets?

Checking the Wyoming lottery for the closest lottery dealer to Salt Lake City, UT, I found one in Evanston, WY. That's about 90 miles each way from SLC

Most states sell advanced play for up to 26 draws. I can't imagine driving all that distance and buying tickets for only 4 draws.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                            Member #175910
                            July 10, 2016
                            40 Posts
                            Posted: July 12, 2016, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Good point, if this situation would ever come to fruition it would likely end up in court due to various possible reasons thus the anonymity issue is useless. This is why I have endeavored to reduce the sharing option not due to greed but the hassles. On the up side there has been much sound advice on this topic.

See Ya!