Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tried my first lottery ticket machine today!

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Think.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4784 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2016, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

I was off today and running errands and used the lottery places app to look in a different area. Found this Bodega type store with a lottery machine. It did allow for a mm multiplier selection and the machine printed my ticket correctly. After hearing other stories, I expected it to eat my ticket or print a partial ticket.

J'aime La France.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
    USA
    United States
    Member #152799
    February 25, 2014
    1090 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2016, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I tried one off the Ohio turnpike as I had no other choice and it went smoothly as well. You had to use exact bills because no change was given- that's one way to make someone spend the entire amount on lottery tickets...lol

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4784 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2016, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

I tried one off the Ohio turnpike as I had no other choice and it went smoothly as well. You had to use exact bills because no change was given- that's one way to make someone spend the entire amount on lottery tickets...lol

I see these machines at Riteaid also so will try there next.

J'aime La France.

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
        Member #57793
        January 19, 2008
        2323 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2016, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Most gas stations were I live have them. I have use them and no problem. The Kroger store all so.Yes must have exact bills.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
          Marquette, MI
          United States
          Member #20541
          August 20, 2005
          705 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2016, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

I was off today and running errands and used the lottery places app to look in a different area. Found this Bodega type store with a lottery machine. It did allow for a mm multiplier selection and the machine printed my ticket correctly. After hearing other stories, I expected it to eat my ticket or print a partial ticket.

I have never seen one of those.  Michigan opted for internet sales instead.

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1507 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2016, 8:48 am - IP Logged

LOL Wow, finally some happy stories! Thanks.Hyper

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2016, 10:12 am - IP Logged

I like them.  You always get what you want without the drama. The only con is no change.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                USA
                United States
                Member #152799
                February 25, 2014
                1090 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2016, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I like them.  You always get what you want without the drama. The only con is no change.

The machine I used didn't allow anything other than QP's not sure if any other automated machines are even capable of doing self picks.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2016, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

The machine I used didn't allow anything other than QP's not sure if any other automated machines are even capable of doing self picks.

Here they supposedly take play slips, but that feature malfunctions so often that I have quit even trying.  If I have my own numbers to play, I go to a clerk.

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4784 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2016, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

This machine gave the option of picking your own numbers.

J'aime La France.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7297 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2016, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Here they supposedly take play slips, but that feature malfunctions so often that I have quit even trying.  If I have my own numbers to play, I go to a clerk.

The vending machines in KY accept any play slips including 4 minute Keno, but today I learned the hard way that some stores won't repay for malfunctions on the spot. The clerk said they didn't have the authority to open the machine and the machine did the same thing yesterday. I didn't need to ask why they didn't put a sign on the machine yesterday. 

Unless I know for a fact I can get my money back after a malfunction, I won't be using those machines any more.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                        Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #168137
                        August 17, 2015
                        124 Posts
                        Posted: July 3, 2016, 12:21 am - IP Logged

The vending machines in KY accept any play slips including 4 minute Keno, but today I learned the hard way that some stores won't repay for malfunctions on the spot. The clerk said they didn't have the authority to open the machine and the machine did the same thing yesterday. I didn't need to ask why they didn't put a sign on the machine yesterday. 

Unless I know for a fact I can get my money back after a malfunction, I won't be using those machines any more.

Multiple times I have had a printed ticket get jammed because I get to eager and grab it and touch it before its all the way out and it'll curl just enough to get stuck in the machine, and once a scratch-it ticket didn't fall out, and when I told customer service, they got a key holder to open it up with no problems, and  were able to dislodge my stuck tickets without any damage. 

I've never had a printing malfunction though. 

Id much rather use the machine than deal with someone at a register.  At my regular ticket pickup spot, there is never a line at the machine! So, I can take all the time in the world, change my mind as many times as I want, and take as long as I darn well please filling out any slips to run. Its always a pleasant experience.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: July 3, 2016, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Here they won't give money back at all.  They will try to fix the machine, but I've never had anyone actually fix it.  So you have to spend your credit on something you don't want.  Very annoying!  But I've learned which malfunctions are most likely to happen in these particular machines, and I avoid those transactions.  I only do quick picks.  Even then sometimes that malfunctions and I end up having to buy a scratcher.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: July 3, 2016, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I'd guess they're blowing smoke up your ass. It's possible that  state lottery could simply rent space for a machine, but businesses with vending machines generally have some kind of ownership interest in the machine. Not sure how they verify things if the machine simply takes your money and won't  give you  what you want, but stores should be ready to help with any problem that  happens in their store.

I had a problem with my bet slip jamming in a NY machine in NY once. I figure it would  probably still be happy to spit out a scratcher if I had to walk away and somebody else came along,  but it was more or less opposite the store's service counter. I forget exactly what they did, but the person working the service counter opened it up and solved the problem. Only problem I ever had, but I've only used them a few times.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7297 Posts
                              Posted: July 3, 2016, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Multiple times I have had a printed ticket get jammed because I get to eager and grab it and touch it before its all the way out and it'll curl just enough to get stuck in the machine, and once a scratch-it ticket didn't fall out, and when I told customer service, they got a key holder to open it up with no problems, and  were able to dislodge my stuck tickets without any damage. 

I've never had a printing malfunction though. 

Id much rather use the machine than deal with someone at a register.  At my regular ticket pickup spot, there is never a line at the machine! So, I can take all the time in the world, change my mind as many times as I want, and take as long as I darn well please filling out any slips to run. Its always a pleasant experience.

I saw clerks opening the same type of vending machines in other stores so that gas station/convenient store could be an exception. Keno games are time sensitive and don't want to watch the numbers I picked being drawn while a clerk is trying to figure out how to enter the playslips. When KY first introduced 5 minute Keno it was in a few select stores, but recently they add all lottery terminals including self serve vending machines.

Usually I get my tickets from a convenient store that sold Keno tickets from the begining and it's also a cashing station so I can cash any winning ticket under $5001.