Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tried my first lottery ticket machine today!

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Think.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7313 Posts
Posted: July 3, 2016, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Here they won't give money back at all.  They will try to fix the machine, but I've never had anyone actually fix it.  So you have to spend your credit on something you don't want.  Very annoying!  But I've learned which malfunctions are most likely to happen in these particular machines, and I avoid those transactions.  I only do quick picks.  Even then sometimes that malfunctions and I end up having to buy a scratcher.

The machine went "dark" and the "malfunction" message was on the screen showing the credits. The clerk offered to sell me scratch-offs but wouldn't give me credit from the vending machine and run my Keno play slips through the regular terminal.

If they won't pay me, I'll get MM tickets with the credits when I see the manager on Tuesday.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7313 Posts
    Posted: July 3, 2016, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I'd guess they're blowing smoke up your ass. It's possible that  state lottery could simply rent space for a machine, but businesses with vending machines generally have some kind of ownership interest in the machine. Not sure how they verify things if the machine simply takes your money and won't  give you  what you want, but stores should be ready to help with any problem that  happens in their store.

I had a problem with my bet slip jamming in a NY machine in NY once. I figure it would  probably still be happy to spit out a scratcher if I had to walk away and somebody else came along,  but it was more or less opposite the store's service counter. I forget exactly what they did, but the person working the service counter opened it up and solved the problem. Only problem I ever had, but I've only used them a few times.

Because the clerk told me to leave my name and phone number, I first assumed that store had that problem before, but when they didn't give me a receipt I thought the clerk just didn't want to fix the machine. I asked for a receipt.

This was only my second "malfunction"; the first was when the paper ran out.

United States
      Member #173496
      March 5, 2016
      92 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2016, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I like the ones in PA

You can mix your picks with QP on the same line.

And you can get a voucher for money won...or change, unlike other machines.

I just wish they accepted card payment....that would make them even more awesome

Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #59855
        March 29, 2008
        31549 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2016, 9:47 am - IP Logged

I was off today and running errands and used the lottery places app to look in a different area. Found this Bodega type store with a lottery machine. It did allow for a mm multiplier selection and the machine printed my ticket correctly. After hearing other stories, I expected it to eat my ticket or print a partial ticket.

I tried one yesterday for some p3 tickets in a grocery store for the first time and an error came up saying it would not print tickets for 50 cents so I bought a scratch off and won $25 with the $5 I had put in...lucky for me the machine would not print my 50 cent tickets...so took them to the C/S desk.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/216513/4684238

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2016, 10:36 am - IP Logged

I tried one yesterday for some p3 tickets in a grocery store for the first time and an error came up saying it would not print tickets for 50 cents so I bought a scratch off and won $25 with the $5 I had put in...lucky for me the machine would not print my 50 cent tickets...so took them to the C/S desk.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/216513/4684238

Congrats Vergie!  Glad it worked out for you.

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            699 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2016, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

The machine went "dark" and the "malfunction" message was on the screen showing the credits. The clerk offered to sell me scratch-offs but wouldn't give me credit from the vending machine and run my Keno play slips through the regular terminal.

If they won't pay me, I'll get MM tickets with the credits when I see the manager on Tuesday.

I had something like this happen once. Fortunately, the machine started working again and I was able to get my tickets. I had put over $50 in it from a lottery pool I ran at the time.

The only thing I don't like about them is they make you scan your driver's license before buying tickets. I understand the age restrictions on buying tickets, but I guess I'm just a little concerned they might be keeping the information and may know who bought a winner if I want to keep it secret.

That along with the incident I already mentioned makes me wary of lottery vending machines. There's only one in my city that I know of and I don't go to that store often anyway.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7313 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2016, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I had something like this happen once. Fortunately, the machine started working again and I was able to get my tickets. I had put over $50 in it from a lottery pool I ran at the time.

The only thing I don't like about them is they make you scan your driver's license before buying tickets. I understand the age restrictions on buying tickets, but I guess I'm just a little concerned they might be keeping the information and may know who bought a winner if I want to keep it secret.

That along with the incident I already mentioned makes me wary of lottery vending machines. There's only one in my city that I know of and I don't go to that store often anyway.

I was in another store and a woman told the clerk the same type of vending machine wouldn't accept her MM play slips after she put in $20. The clerk took the plays slips and ran them through the terminal and put an "out of order" sign on the vending machine.

It's the rest of the info on my license that I'd be concerned about especially before buying tickets too.

Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #59855
                March 29, 2008
                31549 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2016, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Congrats Vergie!  Glad it worked out for you.

Thank you HoLeeKau!

Good luck today!See Ya!

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                  Marquette, MI
                  United States
                  Member #20541
                  August 20, 2005
                  705 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2016, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Is there a list somewhere of which states have these machines?

Thanks

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false