Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tipping the salesperson on a big win

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 3 months ago by NeedyNotGreedy.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
Upstate NY
United States
Member #174656
May 5, 2016
766 Posts
Posted: July 29, 2016, 2:40 am - IP Logged

i was thinking of tipping the clerk on my last $1000, I thought 10% would be fair. It can be annoying when clerks ask for tip on a 100$ win because usually I'm just breaking even. But the clerk that sold me the winner is very polite and has never asked for a  tip.

what does everyone here else do ?

My largest win from a single ticket was $10, the largest from a drawing was $12( 3 powerball tickets) so I haven't won anything worth a tip. 

If I win between 50,000 and a million I'll probably tip my favorite lottery place 1 thousand as it's a family run store with a few non-family employees. If I won a big jackpot, I would never return to my hometown so no tip I guess given I wouldn't even get close to it.

new york
    United States
    Member #63828
    August 9, 2008
    179 Posts
    Posted: July 29, 2016, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Tipping is appropriate if the individual spends a great deal of time scratching the tickets at the store. I've seen customers buy one ticket at a time, scratch it, lose and go back and forth several times until they get a winner, cash it in and then leave without tipping the clerk, who is most likely flustered because of the constant interruptions and having to deal with other customers.

Even if it's not a big win I'd say give the clerk something..

Eastern PA
      United States
      Member #165668
      April 17, 2015
      261 Posts
      Posted: July 29, 2016, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I tip for information....

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19859 Posts
        Posted: July 29, 2016, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

i was thinking of tipping the clerk on my last $1000, I thought 10% would be fair. It can be annoying when clerks ask for tip on a 100$ win because usually I'm just breaking even. But the clerk that sold me the winner is very polite and has never asked for a  tip.

what does everyone here else do ?

That seems Nice of you to Consider.Lovies

Let it Snow Snowman

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
          Member #57793
          January 19, 2008
          2334 Posts
          Posted: July 30, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Smiley  When I buy lottery ticks, I get a extra one for the store clerk.     Smiley

tudorsc's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg
            atlanta ga
            United States
            Member #170326
            November 26, 2015
            150 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2016, 8:43 am - IP Logged

The one time I won $500 I tipped the clerk that sold me the ticket - I had marked incorrectly and she fixed it and I won $500 on Cash3 - I gave her a $20 tip

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
              Member #165244
              March 30, 2015
              228 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2016, 1:16 am - IP Logged

Not as much a salesperson as they are a cashier...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

Chicago
                United States
                Member #175682
                June 30, 2016
                25 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2016, 3:09 am - IP Logged

Lol, some cashiers are just that: SALES PEOPLE.

The pushy Indians/middle easterners at gas stations tend to ruin my vibe, even though sometimes I have won at those. Whenever someone pushes me to buy a ticket or buy more, I ended up not wanting to play because I'm trying to fight the urge, but theyre trying to push me into buying. Then, it makes me feel I may lose and they just want to have more money in their register. 

I wouldn't tip a salesperson because usually when I win, I take the ticket to cash at another store or another gas station. They'll never know I won, unless it's something real small.

one guy was really pushy. I wanted $10 back off a $15 or $20 win a couple weeks ago. He was almost not wanting to give it back, insisting I buy another ticket. I'll have to avoid some of those places, that's why I like grocery stores or machines. These gas stations be all too happy to collect lotto money.