Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do any of you personally know any lottery winners?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 4 months ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: July 12, 2016, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball jackpot is an estimated $311 million.  I always wondered if anyone on here personally knows any lottery jackpot winners?  Have you heard any stories from people you know?  Just curious if anyone on here knows anyone who won a jackpot.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
    JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
    Member #141034
    April 2, 2013
    1406 Posts
    Posted: July 12, 2016, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball jackpot is an estimated $311 million.  I always wondered if anyone on here personally knows any lottery jackpot winners?  Have you heard any stories from people you know?  Just curious if anyone on here knows anyone who won a jackpot.

Yes, Yes and Yes. Some of the people on this site are even jackpot winners but nobody is talking. No No

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      875 Posts
      Posted: July 12, 2016, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Many years ago, my Dad owned a business in NJ. On the way home to Brooklyn, we stopped in Staten Island to buy Lotto tickets for that night's drawing.

On the way out of the store, with tickets in hand, I saw a man that looked like Curtis Sharp on the way in.

I asked if he was Curtis harp. He said yes, he was. I shook his hand. Said hello. And we wished each other "good luck"

Curtis is the man on the left. (pic below) Lou Eisenberg is on the right.

They were the first two to win $5 mil in the NYS Lottery.

A couple of "riches to rags lottery winners...and then losers.

http://www.weeklywire.com/ww/08-23-99/nash_cover.html

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1238 Posts
        Posted: July 12, 2016, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Years ago my wife's family owned a restaurant in Green Bay.  One day a regular came in and said he won Supercash, 350K jackpot.  As it turns out, its true, he bought the ticket at Woodmans grocery store.  Never saw him again after that.  Probably paid his bills and moved somewhere warmer.

Never give up.  Banana

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
          Green Bay
          United States
          Member #169391
          October 15, 2015
          1238 Posts
          Posted: July 12, 2016, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Many years ago, my Dad owned a business in NJ. On the way home to Brooklyn, we stopped in Staten Island to buy Lotto tickets for that night's drawing.

On the way out of the store, with tickets in hand, I saw a man that looked like Curtis Sharp on the way in.

I asked if he was Curtis harp. He said yes, he was. I shook his hand. Said hello. And we wished each other "good luck"

Curtis is the man on the left. (pic below) Lou Eisenberg is on the right.

They were the first two to win $5 mil in the NYS Lottery.

A couple of "riches to rags lottery winners...and then losers.

http://www.weeklywire.com/ww/08-23-99/nash_cover.html

I guess the trick is to keep the money after you win it.  How long does 5 million last in NYC?

Never give up.  Banana

Brooklyn, NY
            United States
            Member #169723
            October 29, 2015
            875 Posts
            Posted: July 12, 2016, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I guess the trick is to keep the money after you win it.  How long does 5 million last in NYC?

It doesn't last as long as most think it does.

Make sure you read his story. It should be an example for all lottery players.

Lottery Winner Curtis Sharp has seen it all and spent it all

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Arkansas
              United States
              Member #175301
              June 9, 2016
              67 Posts
              Posted: July 12, 2016, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

One of my friends won $100,000 on a scratch off 5 years ago, that's the biggest winner I know

Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #169723
                October 29, 2015
                875 Posts
                Posted: July 12, 2016, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

One of my friends won $100,000 on a scratch off 5 years ago, that's the biggest winner I know

That's a nice hit!

The Meatman

United States
                  Member #170707
                  December 13, 2015
                  185 Posts
                  Posted: July 12, 2016, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

nopeUnhappy, but actually that's a good thing cuz they wouldn't help me out anyways if I didEmbarassed

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                    Happy California
                    United States
                    Member #157856
                    August 2, 2014
                    1506 Posts
                    Posted: July 12, 2016, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

TheMeatman2005, Thank You very much for this interesting article on Curtis Sharp. Curtis made some mistakes which I will not do. He is a lighthouse warning us about the rocks ahead. That last sentence comes from Dave Ramsey.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

United States
                      Member #164725
                      March 12, 2015
                      339 Posts
                      Posted: July 12, 2016, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Yes. It was in the 80s and the jackpot was around 4 or 5 million. He bought himself a nice house, a couple of med price cars, and sent his kid to USC.  He also continued to work, of course. 

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                        Upstate NY
                        United States
                        Member #174656
                        May 5, 2016
                        749 Posts
                        Posted: July 12, 2016, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

If i knew a winner, i wouldn't need to play the lottery. 

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3471 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2016, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Lots of people live in NYC with very modest incomes, but even people who are doing better live in apartments that are about the size of my garage.

If your income doesn't depend on living in NYC I'd think that moving would be a good idea, unless you've got a pretty substantial income. One of the early winners of a (then) unusually big NY lotto jackpot won $20 million, back when a fixed annuity paid in 21 installments was the only option. He told the press he was going to stay in the Bronx and grow tomatoes. I remember hearing that and thinking that with the NYC income tax he could save almost 40k every year by moving a few miles north into Westchester.

Funny that should come up right after the $540 million MM jackpot. I just found an article about him and it says his was the biggest lottery prize ever paid to one person at that time.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=266&dat=19840727&id=mvAwAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FOAFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2814,3367676&hl=en

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                            Member #65961
                            October 11, 2008
                            161 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2016, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Yes, I do know someone who actually won the full jackpot (only winner) in the state lottery for Pennsylvania,  back in the 80's... his family lived next door to mine.

He married his girlfriend, bought property in New Jersey and started a business in real estate....saw him earlier this year and he is heavy into community activism.

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                              The Great Smoky Mountains
                              United States
                              Member #59921
                              March 31, 2008
                              266 Posts
                              Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Yes I know a couple of people that won big. Both divorced within 6 months of winning. Another one I know won a couple million on a scratch off ticket here in TN and 2 yrs later...broke and bagging groceries at Kroger.

Stupid stupid decisions they made with the money.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***