Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do any of you personally know any lottery winners?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 4 months ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
South Carolina
United States
Member #77167
July 15, 2009
554 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2016, 7:40 am - IP Logged

One of my neighbors won $250,000 on a scratch off ticket a couple of years ago.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3685 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2016, 7:48 am - IP Logged

I have a family member who won $17,000 playing The NY Lottery's 5/39 online game, Take5.  The total jackpot was $68,000, but there were three other winners, so my nephew's share was $17,000.  He netted $12,000 after taxes. 

Here's the best part of the story;

He was running late for work, saw the winning numbers go across the bottom of his TV screen, jotted them down on a scrap piece of paper and ran for his car.  His boss had recently been on a tirade about employees coming in to work late, so he was worried that he would not get to work on time and feel the full force of his boss's anger.

As he drove towards work on a four lane highway, he got stuck in a traffic jam!  (There had been an automobile accident.)  As he sat stuck in traffic, he saw his lottery ticket on the console, so he decided to check his numbers.  He pulled the scrap of paper out of his shirt pocket and could not believe his eyes when he saw he had all five winning numbers.  He started laughing and screaming and pounding on the steering wheel of his car.  He then noticed two guys sitting in the car beside his looking at him like he was crazy, so he motioned for the guy to put down his window.  The guy put down the window, and my nephew told him that he had just discovered that he won the lottery!  So the guy asked him how much he had won, to which my nephew replied "I dunno!!"

The guy then said "Buddy, you better get the hell outta this traffic jam and go find a gas station!"  My nephew drove up on the shoulder and drove about a mile to the next exit off the highway!  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
      Athens
      Greece
      Member #133234
      September 24, 2012
      188 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2016, 10:53 am - IP Logged

One of my classmates won a Jackpot which was split in 3; still, *lots* of 'bucks' considering it was one of the biggest Jackpots of the 90s.

Someone who lives in Canada now and invested a part of his winnings in real estate. Smart enough and really humble. He generally keeps a low profile. We talk a few times and he is very happy. He always talks about his family - especially his daughter. A person that I admire and highly respect.

And a third person who still tries to find a 'solution' for making the most of its day - 'never enough hours in a day'. Who said money can buy everything?

6/49 dis(assembly)

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
        Augusta, Georgia
        United States
        Member #127854
        May 10, 2012
        81 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2016, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I don't know anyone that has won more money than me.

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
          Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1503 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

TinkerMazell, Congratulations on your win! Thank You for continuing to play and giving some of it back to future winners.Cool

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
            Green Bay
            United States
            Member #169391
            October 15, 2015
            1237 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2016, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Do you continuously win smaller amounts or did you win a large jackpot?

Never give up.  Banana

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
              USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1090 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2016, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I guess the trick is to keep the money after you win it.  How long does 5 million last in NYC?

$5.6 million back in 1982 was probably worth $20 million in today's value. A sensible person could have made it last even in NYC but frivolous spending can wipe that amount even if it was a 20-year annuity.

In terms of knowing anyone that has won a major jackpot like MM or PB the answer is no. I do know someone who won a lottery jackpot but the payout was under $100k, she is still working and a portion of the proceeds went towards paying off all her debt and putting a down payment on a town home. She was even able to fund a Roth IRA (max amount allowed) for several years and to this day is quite happy and very blessed with her win.

Augusta, Georgia
                United States
                Member #127854
                May 10, 2012
                81 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2016, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Thank you! Best wishes to you! I wish EVERYONE would win!

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

Augusta, Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #127854
                  May 10, 2012
                  81 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2016, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Do you continuously win smaller amounts or did you win a large jackpot?

Yes and yes. I won $100 today. I only spent a dollar :)

Sunglasses's avatar - nicebear
                    Zaperlopopotam
                    Belgium
                    Member #173932
                    March 26, 2016
                    945 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2016, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I met a few I believe, but don't really know them. You don't know who you meet, some time ago I sat next to someone saying that he is the king of the Netherlands. You see what I mean. ...

United States
                      Member #139779
                      March 3, 2013
                      113 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2016, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball jackpot is an estimated $311 million.  I always wondered if anyone on here personally knows any lottery jackpot winners?  Have you heard any stories from people you know?  Just curious if anyone on here knows anyone who won a jackpot.

Yes, they won 20 million or so and blew it all on drugs and ladies of the evening. The person frequented the convenience store I worked at part time. At the time they won they bought their tickets in SC as NC did not have a lottery. I do remember them telling me the day they found out they had a winning ticket they gave their wife divorce papers. About 2 years later I saw them holding up a sign "Will Work for Food".

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                        Happy California
                        United States
                        Member #157856
                        August 2, 2014
                        1503 Posts
                        Posted: July 14, 2016, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Yes, they won 20 million or so and blew it all on drugs and ladies of the evening. The person frequented the convenience store I worked at part time. At the time they won they bought their tickets in SC as NC did not have a lottery. I do remember them telling me the day they found out they had a winning ticket they gave their wife divorce papers. About 2 years later I saw them holding up a sign "Will Work for Food".

lottologix, Those past lottery losers are like lighthouses. "They warn us of the rocks ahead". That is a Dave Ramsey quote. 

We here at Lottery Post love success stories and want every LP Member to live a successful life after winning.

No No

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

sandollar's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                          new port richey florida
                          United States
                          Member #53919
                          July 27, 2007
                          13 Posts
                          Posted: July 18, 2016, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Yeah! me we had 5 numbers on the florida lotto 2 yrs ago won $33,000. after taxes we wound up with $24,000.Ther were only 5 winner for 5 number and it was a 5x timer .

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19721 Posts
                            Posted: July 18, 2016, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Yeah! me we had 5 numbers on the florida lotto 2 yrs ago won $33,000. after taxes we wound up with $24,000.Ther were only 5 winner for 5 number and it was a 5x timer .

Wow Congratulations! sandollar  Party

Let it Snow Snowman

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                              Member #81314
                              October 16, 2009
                              18965 Posts
                              Posted: July 18, 2016, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

One of my friends won $30,000.00 on 5555 on May 27th, 2016

One of my relatives, 1 of the 8 Postal workers that hit a cool Million on the Power ball, earlier this year.

I think they each cleared, $125,000.00 before taxes.

1 guy I worked with at Chrysler, won Missouri lotto for, $3.1 million. 

A lady I know, won $1 million on a $20 scratcher.

Another lady I know, won Show me Cash, $130,000.00

Good Luck.

The Struggle is real!