Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing The Lottery Is Total Insanity.

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 months ago by maxodds.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3047 Posts
Posted: July 14, 2016, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

I like to play the lotto for my one or two or sometimes five lines to see if I can win a prize.  It is entertainment for me every wednesday and saturday nights and also every tuesday and friday nights too.-weshar75

US Flag

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4104 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2016, 12:39 am - IP Logged

How many losing tickets were bought in that night's drawing? 

You missing the point entirely amber. Perhaps you have forgotten that it only costs a dollar or two for a ticket with the" chance" of winning millions. Recently l read of front row tickets to the nba finals going for $29k - if that's not insanity, what is. The soccer match between Mexico & Chile was played in Santa Clara a little over a month ago- 70,000 fans showed up- nose bleed seats went for $400.00. Make the connection . Most of those tickets were purchased by Mexicans & as a painful reminder- Mexico lost 7 nothing. Think they were pissed? 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
      NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3693 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2016, 6:48 am - IP Logged

I QUIT PLAYING THE LOTTERY TODAY.

Like Hell you did.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1239 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2016, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Where else can you buy a dream for a dollar?

Never give up.  Banana

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49642 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2016, 10:23 am - IP Logged

It's Insanity to Think You're Going to Win It If You're Not In It! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Deo-nonfortuna's avatar - hqdefault
            NJ
            United States
            Member #165922
            April 27, 2015
            3332 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2016, 10:28 am - IP Logged

PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS TOTAL INSANITY. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

So, why r u here? Looking for a group psycho therapy?

All things which are similar and therefore connected, are drawn to each other's power.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
              USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1090 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2016, 11:11 am - IP Logged

I like to play the lotto for my one or two or sometimes five lines to see if I can win a prize.  It is entertainment for me every wednesday and saturday nights and also every tuesday and friday nights too.-weshar75

US Flag

That's a good analogy. Some spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to view a sporting event or concert and take home short lived memories. Lottery players for the most part spend quite a bit less but have the opportunity to win millions of $$$. My take on purchasing PB or MM tickets is strictly entertainment... with a remote possibility of winning a decent prize.

United States
                Member #175910
                July 10, 2016
                40 Posts
                Posted: July 15, 2016, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! with many of the comments. Another consideration is the insane taxes paid on a jackpot and the amount loss when taking the lump sum payout. Then again, such troubles are worth it!

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                  Upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #174656
                  May 5, 2016
                  753 Posts
                  Posted: July 15, 2016, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! with many of the comments. Another consideration is the insane taxes paid on a jackpot and the amount loss when taking the lump sum payout. Then again, such troubles are worth it!

25% is not insane by any stretch. We need to have a uniform tax rate so that everyone can do the math on how much they'll pay. A 50% tax on winnings at time of claim is fair. You deduct the state taxes off the federal bill and thus everyone will pay an equal amount. Of course, it's unlikely to pass but it would be a great and simple solution.     

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                    Upacreek
                    United States
                    Member #136306
                    December 8, 2012
                    428 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2016, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

So, why r u here? Looking for a group psycho therapy?

Ha ha... LP is insanity

-RC

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                      Member #164727
                      March 12, 2015
                      2509 Posts
                      Posted: July 15, 2016, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

You missing the point entirely amber. Perhaps you have forgotten that it only costs a dollar or two for a ticket with the" chance" of winning millions. Recently l read of front row tickets to the nba finals going for $29k - if that's not insanity, what is. The soccer match between Mexico & Chile was played in Santa Clara a little over a month ago- 70,000 fans showed up- nose bleed seats went for $400.00. Make the connection . Most of those tickets were purchased by Mexicans & as a painful reminder- Mexico lost 7 nothing. Think they were pissed? 

The fact that it only costs a buck or two is irrelevant due to the astronomical odds against you or me winning. Most people only focus on the winner, but avoid the multitudes of losing tickets. 

Most people will play the JP games for 20 or 30 years and NEVER EVER win the JP, that's a fact. I do realize the temptation to play because it's enticing. The thought of living the rest of your life comfortably is on my mind too, but my mind deals with reality and the odds. 

If someone said there was a p-3 game that only costs one cent to play per ticket, for a 500 dollar win STRAIGHT, but it the odds of winning was not 1 in 1,000, it was 1 in 5 million, do you think I would say that it only costs a penny to play to win 500 so it's worth a shot, knowing full well ahead of time that there is a very good chance I will never win?

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40339 Posts
                        Posted: July 15, 2016, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS TOTAL INSANITY. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

Swimming with sharks dressed like a sea otter is insanity.Shifty

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                          Member #164727
                          March 12, 2015
                          2509 Posts
                          Posted: July 15, 2016, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

That's a good analogy. Some spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to view a sporting event or concert and take home short lived memories. Lottery players for the most part spend quite a bit less but have the opportunity to win millions of $$$. My take on purchasing PB or MM tickets is strictly entertainment... with a remote possibility of winning a decent prize.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion, but personally I don't spend a few bucks as entertainment when playing a game that I know for a fact that 99% of the people playing, will never win, ever. I'll spend a few bucks on some good Whiskey for entertainment. Green laugh

At least I know 100% for sure I will get something out of it. Imagine I spent 40 bucks or more on whiskey and knew ahead of time that there would only be about a 1% chance I would get a buzz? 

Now that's insanity.

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
                            Athens
                            Greece
                            Member #133234
                            September 24, 2012
                            188 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2016, 4:44 am - IP Logged

Where else can you buy a dream for a dollar?

True._

Also, try telling something like that to someone who buys a QP and wins the Jackpot - it has happened.

p.s. What are you trying to 'accomplish' ? Getting canned ?

6/49 dis(assembly)

United States
                              Member #106134
                              February 13, 2011
                              806 Posts
                              Posted: July 16, 2016, 9:06 am - IP Logged

What's truly insane is that it's WAY too easy for winners to win.  All they do is go up, buy tickets, and BOOM just win big jackpots at will.  Some of us play HARD and play smart by playing trends and can't even win $100.