Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing The Lottery Is Total Insanity.

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 months ago by maxodds.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4102 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2016, 10:07 am - IP Logged

The fact that it only costs a buck or two is irrelevant due to the astronomical odds against you or me winning. Most people only focus on the winner, but avoid the multitudes of losing tickets. 

Most people will play the JP games for 20 or 30 years and NEVER EVER win the JP, that's a fact. I do realize the temptation to play because it's enticing. The thought of living the rest of your life comfortably is on my mind too, but my mind deals with reality and the odds. 

If someone said there was a p-3 game that only costs one cent to play per ticket, for a 500 dollar win STRAIGHT, but it the odds of winning was not 1 in 1,000, it was 1 in 5 million, do you think I would say that it only costs a penny to play to win 500 so it's worth a shot, knowing full well ahead of time that there is a very good chance I will never win?

" But my mind deals with reality and the odds"...that's insulting.

Are you saying that the folks playing the game & especially fellow LP members are unaware or oblivious of the odds Amber? It's a chance we talking about here.My immediate thought is : why are you here?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
    Member #106134
    February 13, 2011
    806 Posts
    Posted: July 16, 2016, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Are you saying that the folks playing the game & especially fellow LP members are unaware or oblivious of the odds Amber? It's a chance we talking about here.My immediate thought is : why are you here?

What they don't realize is that players win...A LOT of players win.  If they can win, why can't we?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4102 Posts
      Posted: July 16, 2016, 10:10 am - IP Logged

What they don't realize is that players win...A LOT of players win.  If they can win, why can't we?

Whose they? 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1238 Posts
        Posted: July 16, 2016, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Whose they? 

The lucky ones.

Never give up.  Banana

United States
          Member #106134
          February 13, 2011
          806 Posts
          Posted: July 16, 2016, 11:47 am - IP Logged

I'm talking about the people who say that it's a scam, fake, or no one wins.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
            Member #106923
            February 27, 2011
            474 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2016, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Whose they? 

They are 'them'...

Naughty

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Chicago
              United States
              Member #175682
              June 30, 2016
              25 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2016, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

But who cares about big jackpots? The OP only mentioned the biggest 2 games. There's many easier games and also 2nd/3rd prize wins. I don't even chase or expect the big jackpots from playing random draws.

$100,000 jackpot pales in comparison to a multi-million dollar jackpot, but that's a lot of money someone in their late 20s without tons of debt could use. Plus it's far more acheivable.

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                The Great Smoky Mountains
                United States
                Member #59921
                March 31, 2008
                266 Posts
                Posted: July 18, 2016, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I buy a ticket everyday for either Cash 3 & 4, Powerball, Mega Millions, Tn Cash, Hot Lotto and Cash 4 Life. It gives me something to look forward to. I can dream and no one can take that away from me. Even if I don't win at least im helping put kids through college. My daughter got a full ride to college from The Tn Lottery.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                  Green Bay
                  United States
                  Member #169391
                  October 15, 2015
                  1238 Posts
                  Posted: July 18, 2016, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

THRIFTY...Have your powerball ticket for Wednesday?  Wink

Never give up.  Banana

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: July 18, 2016, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I must be outsane then.  I do a different thing over and over again and expect the same results.

Now where is the nearest outsane asylum?Wink

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                      Member #164727
                      March 12, 2015
                      2507 Posts
                      Posted: July 18, 2016, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Insulting? You'd be surprised by the number of people who truly don't understand the astronomical odds, both on this site and friends and relatives. They may hear or read about the odds but it doesn't register. How many threads have you seen that is about someone knowing for an absolute fact that they will win someday?...That's insane.

The reason I'm here is to find a p-3 system that works on a regular basis. This is why I picked the p-3 game, it's the easiest to win. With only 1 in 1,000 for a str8 hit, I still have a hard time winning. I can't even imagine contemplating winning a game with odds like 252 million to 1. 

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4102 Posts
                        Posted: July 18, 2016, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Insulting? You'd be surprised by the number of people who truly don't understand the astronomical odds, both on this site and friends and relatives. They may hear or read about the odds but it doesn't register. How many threads have you seen that is about someone knowing for an absolute fact that they will win someday?...That's insane.

The reason I'm here is to find a p-3 system that works on a regular basis. This is why I picked the p-3 game, it's the easiest to win. With only 1 in 1,000 for a str8 hit, I still have a hard time winning. I can't even imagine contemplating winning a game with odds like 252 million to 1. 

Good luck in your search in finding your system. Could you name some of these people on this site that you say do not know or understand the astronomical odds of winning the jackpot? You do not have to out your friends - just name a handful here in the Forum that are completely in the dark when talking odds? As you said, l would be surprised, surprise me Amber.

I thank you in advance. 

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7295 Posts
                          Posted: July 18, 2016, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

STOP PLAYING THE LOTTERY. 

YOU WILL NEVER WIN A LOTTERY JACKPOT IN YOUR LIFETIME.

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

That's not exactly correct because one ticket out of almost 155.5 million sold matched the winning MM numbers. But considering all the tickets sold in the drawings building the jackpot, there are lots of zeros in the percentage chances of winning.

United States
                            Member #164727
                            March 12, 2015
                            2507 Posts
                            Posted: July 18, 2016, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Good luck in your search in finding your system. Could you name some of these people on this site that you say do not know or understand the astronomical odds of winning the jackpot? You do not have to out your friends - just name a handful here in the Forum that are completely in the dark when talking odds? As you said, l would be surprised, surprise me Amber.

I thank you in advance. 

Ha, like I jot down the name of all those people over the years and keep a running record.

Don't be surprised at ignorance. My own father thought that people who were in the military and served during a war were the only ones that qualified to be a Veteran. lol

Sometimes the pain is too much, but I've learned to cope.

United States
                              Member #164727
                              March 12, 2015
                              2507 Posts
                              Posted: July 18, 2016, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Also, only about 3 years ago, during a conversation with my dad, when I mentioned there were about 60 million people who died in WWII, his ignorance once again resurfaced. 

Basically he was in denial that 6 million Jews were slaughtered. So my next question to him was...Do you also believe that about 50 million people died in WWII was also fiction? ...well...he took a few seconds to answer and then denied that event occurred. So I went on his computer and pulled some sources, and he conceded. He was amazed, you should've seen the face of a man that tried so hard to never ever conceded on any subject, yet he did. My draw dropped because he was always right in his world except for now. It was a nice feeling. There's still a lot of work ahead of me, but he's too old now, so it's moot and not worth arguing, I love him too much to debate. He just turned 87 in June 2016.

This is just one person. Look all I wrote about one person...lol I could write a book about people who don't pay attention to detail.