Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The big jackpots have been won- What now?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 4 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How long will you wait to play PB and MM now that the big jackpots have been won?

Business as usual- I have a ticket for every draw [ 20 ]  [40.00%]
Waiting until the jackpot is over $100m [ 3 ]  [6.00%]
I'd gladly accept a small jackpot! It happens! [ 14 ]  [28.00%]
Let it grow! I'll participate after a few draws. [ 3 ]  [6.00%]
I'll wait until it's nearing a half-billion, again [ 8 ]  [16.00%]
I gave up on them, long ago! [ 2 ]  [4.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19752 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2016, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Kind of entertaining that some people striving to win hundreds of millions insist that they would turn their nose up at $15M or $40M 'out of nowhere'.

Green laugh

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19752 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2016, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I try to play every draw i can sometimes even cross states trying my Luck there Winning nothing but Free tickets and a few bucks so far.

Good Luck everyonePatriot

Let it Snow Snowman

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
      USA
      United States
      Member #152799
      February 25, 2014
      1090 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2016, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Kind of entertaining that some people striving to win hundreds of millions insist that they would turn their nose up at $15M or $40M 'out of nowhere'.

Green laugh

I am one of those people who don't play when the jackpot resets or are extremely small not that $15m or $40m is chump change and something to turn my nose at it but I am not delusional. Factoring in the odds that are just shy of 300 million to 1, playing the lottery every single draw makes absolutely no sense to me.

Our family is fine financially and not dependent on winning a lottery jackpot for our retirement which is not the case with a large percentage of lottery players in a recent poll I had seen. I find it sad that some players will spend $20-$100 per week on lottery tickets but yet allocate nothing towards their savings or retirement account as many don't even have one.

The odds of 1 or 2 people here on LP winning a PB or MM jackpot in their lifetime is extremely remote but the second place prize will likely be won by several here. I will still play certain lottery games from neighboring states with odds similar to 2nd prize of PB or MM during my travels but will never play them when the jackpot is near reset levels.

Don't take my rant negatively as I see nothing wrong with those who play every single draw as long as it doesn't take away from putting food on the table or neglecting your rainy day/retirement fund.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
        Brooklyn, NY
        United States
        Member #169723
        October 29, 2015
        877 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

I Agree! Exactly! The proceeds from a small jackpot will give you more millions of dollars than you have now.

We play to win, whether it's a starting jackpot of 15 or 40 mil or a giant jackpot like have recently been won. As long as it goes in the plus column, a win is a win!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2016, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Drenick1,

Usually I agree with you but  consider Maslow's hierarchy of needs. 

Even those that have want better.

To the 'filthy' rich money is just a way of keeping score. 

Some of these opinions on this remind me of a guy I worked with. He was asking for rides home every night and someone asked him if he ever considered buying his own car and he said "Not unless I can buy a brand new Lincoln."

To each their own, just my $.02, but waiting for every one else to build up a jackpot up can be kind of bad lotto karma.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Tulsa
            United States
            Member #172877
            February 7, 2016
            131 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2016, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I can't count on teachers retirement to provide the lifestyle that my family would like to have.  I also cannot even depend on being able to retire as a teacher as much as the educational budget has been cut into and the number of teaching jobs that are sliced every single year.  My wife got a cost of living increase at work the other day but after factoring in the changes in her benefit costs that also just happened, she is now going to bring home 20 plus dollars less per month.  Stuff like this is not fair and is why I started playing the lottery.  The odds of me winning the lottery are better despite being astronomical than the financial situations facing 99% of us.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              877 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2016, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I can't count on teachers retirement to provide the lifestyle that my family would like to have.  I also cannot even depend on being able to retire as a teacher as much as the educational budget has been cut into and the number of teaching jobs that are sliced every single year.  My wife got a cost of living increase at work the other day but after factoring in the changes in her benefit costs that also just happened, she is now going to bring home 20 plus dollars less per month.  Stuff like this is not fair and is why I started playing the lottery.  The odds of me winning the lottery are better despite being astronomical than the financial situations facing 99% of us.

The odds may be big, but our dreams are bigger!

For the chance to win life-changing wealth it is worth the $1 or $2 price tag.

The only thing that changes is the size of the dream as the jackpot grows.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Tulsa
                United States
                Member #172877
                February 7, 2016
                131 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2016, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

The odds may be big, but our dreams are bigger!

For the chance to win life-changing wealth it is worth the $1 or $2 price tag.

The only thing that changes is the size of the dream as the jackpot grows.

I agree and it is the reason I started playing this year.  I just wish that I would have started playing earlier.  Good luck and God bless!

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #77167
                  July 15, 2009
                  554 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2016, 5:51 am - IP Logged

I Agree! Exactly! The proceeds from a small jackpot will give you more millions of dollars than you have now.

We play to win, whether it's a starting jackpot of 15 or 40 mil or a giant jackpot like have recently been won. As long as it goes in the plus column, a win is a win!

I Agree! nothing says you can't play for a bigger jackpot because you won a small one.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

USA
                    United States
                    Member #152799
                    February 25, 2014
                    1090 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2016, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Drenick1,

Usually I agree with you but  consider Maslow's hierarchy of needs. 

Even those that have want better.

To the 'filthy' rich money is just a way of keeping score. 

Some of these opinions on this remind me of a guy I worked with. He was asking for rides home every night and someone asked him if he ever considered buying his own car and he said "Not unless I can buy a brand new Lincoln."

To each their own, just my $.02, but waiting for every one else to build up a jackpot up can be kind of bad lotto karma.

Scared

"To each their own, just my $.02, but waiting for every one else to build up a jackpot up can be kind of bad lotto karma."

Perhaps that is the reason why I haven't won anything significant or the odds factor is just validating their point. The next time I visit an anonymous state like SC or MD, I'll make it a point to purchase one each of PB and MM no matter the size of the jackpot. Wink

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2657 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2016, 11:22 am - IP Logged

"To each their own, just my $.02, but waiting for every one else to build up a jackpot up can be kind of bad lotto karma."

Perhaps that is the reason why I haven't won anything significant or the odds factor is just validating their point. The next time I visit an anonymous state like SC or MD, I'll make it a point to purchase one each of PB and MM no matter the size of the jackpot. Wink

LOL well..... Cheerss to one of us getting lucky soon

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                        Green Bay
                        United States
                        Member #169391
                        October 15, 2015
                        1239 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2016, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I take back my earlier post...Got my MM for tomorrow.  What the heck, I'd settle for 30 million.

Never give up.  Banana

USA
                          United States
                          Member #152799
                          February 25, 2014
                          1090 Posts
                          Posted: August 4, 2016, 11:40 am - IP Logged

LOL well..... Cheerss to one of us getting lucky soon

Somebody in Asheville, NC won $1M last night in the PB. Not me because I didn't play plus it's 4 hours away.

Going out of state this weekend so I will donate $3 and pick up a ticket for both MM and PB.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                            Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #168137
                            August 17, 2015
                            124 Posts
                            Posted: August 4, 2016, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I take back my earlier post...Got my MM for tomorrow.  What the heck, I'd settle for 30 million.

That's the spirit! Lep

United States
                              Member #171241
                              January 4, 2016
                              75 Posts
                              Posted: August 4, 2016, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Well the nice bump in the PB from 40/28.1 to 52/36.5 may be an indicator that a few more people are fine with winning the smaller jackpot amounts.