Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Been playing the lottery for years without a major win. So...

Topic closed. 80 replies. Last post 3 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Whats your frustration level? 1 being good. 10 being ready to quit playing.

1. Going to win. Very optimistic. [ 18 ]  [26.87%]
2. [ 3 ]  [4.48%]
3. Just takes time. [ 18 ]  [26.87%]
4. [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
5. Frustration is setting in. [ 6 ]  [8.96%]
6. How long is this going to take? [ 6 ]  [8.96%]
7. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
8. Tired of wasting my money. [ 9 ]  [13.43%]
9. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
10. Going to stop playing right now! [ 5 ]  [7.46%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
Ontario
Canada
Member #109243
April 9, 2011
31437 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2016, 12:06 am - IP Logged

I just spent $5 on a last minute decision to buy 5 NY Take5 tickets and didn't win anything at all. Playing "better odds" is a pretty bad strategy given how difficult it is to win anything. I'm sticking to the big lotteries from now on because atleast i can dream big. 
'

That Is Definitely Your Choice.

I Don't Play The Biggies Because Of The Ridiculous Odds.

Once In A While A Quick Pick..Just Because Ya Never Know

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
    Ontario
    Canada
    Member #109243
    April 9, 2011
    31437 Posts
    Posted: August 12, 2016, 12:25 am - IP Logged

I just spent $5 on a last minute decision to buy 5 NY Take5 tickets and didn't win anything at all. Playing "better odds" is a pretty bad strategy given how difficult it is to win anything. I'm sticking to the big lotteries from now on because atleast i can dream big. 
    '

Sh.t Happens,

Doesn't Mean You Have To Give Up On Your Dream Though

I Mean What Are The Odds In NY Pick 5?

Probably Higher Than The 3 Or 4 Daily Draws

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
      Upstate NY
      United States
      Member #174656
      May 5, 2016
      757 Posts
      Posted: August 12, 2016, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Sh.t Happens,

Doesn't Mean You Have To Give Up On Your Dream Though

I Mean What Are The Odds In NY Pick 5?

Probably Higher Than The 3 Or 4 Daily Draws

The Jackpot is 1: 575,000 and winning the smallest prize is 1:9.6

I had over a 50% chance of winning the smallest prize and still lost. I see the value of playing the smaller games but personally I'm just too unlucky to waste my money on jackpot amounts that are too small for me to dream about retiring.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
        Brooklyn, NY
        United States
        Member #169723
        October 29, 2015
        878 Posts
        Posted: August 12, 2016, 4:43 am - IP Logged

The Jackpot is 1: 575,000 and winning the smallest prize is 1:9.6

I had over a 50% chance of winning the smallest prize and still lost. I see the value of playing the smaller games but personally I'm just too unlucky to waste my money on jackpot amounts that are too small for me to dream about retiring.

If you look at the payouts for NY Take5, you will see that a lot of the winners are QP or FP.

If you get just 2 numbers right, you receive a free QP ticket for the next drawing. Those people that got the free QP ticket were probably going whoo hoo...I won a free QP... wow. But, the next day they were jumping for joy seeing they won 30, 40, 50 or 60,000.

Like lightning...winning happens in a flash!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Tulsa
          United States
          Member #172877
          February 7, 2016
          131 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2016, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Yes, winning a lottery doesn't happen in sequential fashion.  None of us are likely going to get two numbers and then three numbers and so on until one of us wins a nice amount.  It will test your patience enough to quit, I know it has tested mine, but one draw can turn a habitual "loser" into a big time winner.  That is the nature of this beast.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
            NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3705 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2016, 8:30 am - IP Logged

In the past, when I've looked at pictures of someone who recently won a jackpot, I noticed that most of them have a few things in common. 

The first is that they're all everyday people, or just an average person.  Secondly, many of them make the same comment, which is "I've played the lottery for years but I rarely ever won anything."

That's my story, and I'm willing to bet it's your story too.  If you asked them whether or not they expected to win, IMHO if they were completely honest, they'd probably say "Not really, but I hoped I would." 

I play the lottery because I have fun doing it.  For me, it's kind of (for lack of a better word) a hobby. I do my workout, and buy myself a ticket.  I've won my share of small prizes doing that, and last May, I won the most money I've ever won, which was $576. At the moment, I have not been playing very much, but I'm sure I'll start up again fairly soon. Maybe something good will happen to me someday, maybe it wont.

All good things come to those who are willing to wait. G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #85037
              January 7, 2010
              252 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2016, 10:14 am - IP Logged

What's the point of even playing the lottery if you truly feel like you have no shot?  Sure, the odds are against us but so are so many other things in life.  No, the lottery doesn't owe any of us and how long you have played it makes no difference on whether it is "your turn or not."  It's just a fun distraction that gets most of us through the grind with a little hope of something that would not only help us and our immediate family but other people, organizations, etc. that we choose to help.  If life were such a drag and everything has to be so negative then why bother even living it?

Perfect words.  Thank you Gator.

United States
                Member #106134
                February 13, 2011
                806 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

You'll never win, the smartest thing to do is to give up and quit playing.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40512 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2016, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

You'll never win, the smartest thing to do is to give up and quit playing.

SpamYou do know your spamming at this point, I would hate to see you go to the Land of no Avatar, your posts are usually funny. You make me laugh long time.Green laugh

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                    Member #106134
                    February 13, 2011
                    806 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2016, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

SpamYou do know your spamming at this point, I would hate to see you go to the Land of no Avatar, your posts are usually funny. You make me laugh long time.Green laugh

I thought spamming was posting dozens of times?  I've posted just once in this thread.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2659 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2016, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Type one day I hope Todd does ship you off to the land of no avatar

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                        Brooklyn, NY
                        United States
                        Member #169723
                        October 29, 2015
                        878 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2016, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

In the past, when I've looked at pictures of someone who recently won a jackpot, I noticed that most of them have a few things in common. 

The first is that they're all everyday people, or just an average person.  Secondly, many of them make the same comment, which is "I've played the lottery for years but I rarely ever won anything."

That's my story, and I'm willing to bet it's your story too.  If you asked them whether or not they expected to win, IMHO if they were completely honest, they'd probably say "Not really, but I hoped I would." 

I play the lottery because I have fun doing it.  For me, it's kind of (for lack of a better word) a hobby. I do my workout, and buy myself a ticket.  I've won my share of small prizes doing that, and last May, I won the most money I've ever won, which was $576. At the moment, I have not been playing very much, but I'm sure I'll start up again fairly soon. Maybe something good will happen to me someday, maybe it wont.

All good things come to those who are willing to wait. G5

I Agree!

Exactly. Nobody "expects" to win, but we always "hope" to win.

When that finally happens, if it happens, we will be surprised and delighted.

Not a winner = Unhappy Roll Eyes Mad What? Crying No No No Nod Sad Naughty

Winner = Smile Big Smile Approve Cool Eek Cheers Hurray!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23271 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2016, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I thought spamming was posting dozens of times?  I've posted just once in this thread.

You're technically correct.  The right word would be "trolling".  I wish you the best of luck in your new life as an anti-gambling crusader.  I hope you had fun at Lottery Post.  Good bye.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Tulsa
                            United States
                            Member #172877
                            February 7, 2016
                            131 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2016, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Can we still continue our quest to become the next potblocker?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5603 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2016, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Can we still continue our quest to become the next potblocker?

My quest continues!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)