Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you continue to play if you won MM or PB?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 months ago by mikeintexas.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You just won MM or PB. Would you keep playing?

Yes, I would still buy a ticket for each drawing. [ 28 ]  [66.67%]
No. I won! So why play any more? [ 14 ]  [33.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
South Carolina
United States
Member #77167
July 15, 2009
554 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2016, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

zephbe...What do you consider a small jackpot?  To me, anything under two or three million would be a small jackpot.  In that case, I would keep playing.  I guess it all depends on what someone actually needs to live a comfortable life.

Small to me would be a MM jackpot of $15 million--split 3 ways.  I wouldn't put any more energy into winning than I do now.  Usually an 8 to 10 draw ticket per month. 

Florida
    United States
    Member #171219
    January 3, 2016
    95 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2016, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Seeing some of the comments on here, I now better understand why MUSL refuses change their JP format from one winner of a big jackpot to many winners of a "smaller" amount (for example: from 1 winner of $500 million to say 50 winners of $10 million). They would lose a lot of players, especially in that case, over time! It would also be interesting to see how the JP amount would build over time. I remember not so long ago they tried Monopoly something which was an attempt at that, but it was $5 / ticket, which is waaay too much.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1503 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2016, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

I will continue to play because I want to give future winners some of my winnings. "Giving back".

I could afford using wheels then. On both MM & PB. Every draw and possibly letting LP Members in on my numbers.

Dance

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4101 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2016, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I will continue to play because I want to give future winners some of my winnings. "Giving back".

I could afford using wheels then. On both MM & PB. Every draw and possibly letting LP Members in on my numbers.

Dance

Oh M-you sly Dog. Sorry, l don't agree with you there Music. My thinking: All the years that I have played and lost while others winners have benefited from my loses is a " paid in full " statement moving forward. My giving back as you put it will be to those not affiliated with a lottery of any kind. As always: my opinion fellow Californian.Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
          Winning makes me smile.
          bel air maryland
          United States
          Member #90251
          April 24, 2010
          4849 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2016, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I used to play $5 or $10 every drawing. But then they kept changing the matrix and making the odds higher and higher. So

after I while I just stopped. I still play once in a while when the jackpot gets up around 300-400. The money would be nice,

but do I really need $800 million? No. And I certainly wouldn't want to deal with all the BS that comes with the publicity,

and the scammers etc, beating down your door looking for a handout. And if you hit really big, every time the jackpot gets

way up there, your name is going to come up again. And then its here we go again. I'll just take steady wins on the P3

and P4 and stay under the radar thank you. JMO.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1503 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2016, 4:24 am - IP Logged

Oh M-you sly Dog. Sorry, l don't agree with you there Music. My thinking: All the years that I have played and lost while others winners have benefited from my loses is a " paid in full " statement moving forward. My giving back as you put it will be to those not affiliated with a lottery of any kind. As always: my opinion fellow Californian.Big Smile

As you have said before, "You have to win first". Man plans and God laughs.Green laugh

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              875 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2016, 7:31 am - IP Logged

Seeing some of the comments on here, I now better understand why MUSL refuses change their JP format from one winner of a big jackpot to many winners of a "smaller" amount (for example: from 1 winner of $500 million to say 50 winners of $10 million). They would lose a lot of players, especially in that case, over time! It would also be interesting to see how the JP amount would build over time. I remember not so long ago they tried Monopoly something which was an attempt at that, but it was $5 / ticket, which is waaay too much.

Even if they lowered the odds, they would still be astronomical and not many people would win.

There's no way to know how many multiple winners there would be. Look at the lower odds games most states offer and you'll see that there are only one or two winners when those games are won. I don't remember seeing any N.Y.S. Lotto  game with anywhere near 10 winners.

N.Y.S. Lotto (6/59 with 2 games for $1 offers odds of 1: 22,528,737) and Take5 (5/39 offers odds of 1:575,757). These are the odds for 1st prize of each game.

It doesn't matter what the odds are, good or bad, if it's your time to win, you're going to win!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1237 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2016, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

If I hit the jackpot in MM or powerball from the numbers I got in a Chinese fortune cookie, I'd quit playing the lottery and invest in that restaurant.  LOL

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                  Member #149820
                  December 9, 2013
                  643 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2016, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I would only play scratch offs. I'd buy rolls at a time. The only times I'd play draw games is when it got over 800 million then I'd buy like 10k tickets at a time lol 

Green Bay
                    United States
                    Member #169391
                    October 15, 2015
                    1237 Posts
                    Posted: August 15, 2016, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I would only play scratch offs. I'd buy rolls at a time. The only times I'd play draw games is when it got over 800 million then I'd buy like 10k tickets at a time lol 

Shelby... If you win a major jackpot, quit the gambling.  Live a good life.  It will only happen once if at all.

Never give up.  Banana

Brooklyn, NY
                      United States
                      Member #169723
                      October 29, 2015
                      875 Posts
                      Posted: August 15, 2016, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

If I hit the jackpot in MM or powerball from the numbers I got in a Chinese fortune cookie, I'd quit playing the lottery and invest in that restaurant.  LOL

Green laughFunny

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Brooklyn, NY
                        United States
                        Member #169723
                        October 29, 2015
                        875 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2016, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how many tickets you buy now to try and win a jackpot prize, but if you did win, why do you think you would need to spend 10k to win another jackpot?

After all, it takes only one very lucky ticket to win!

The Meatman

Green Bay
                          United States
                          Member #169391
                          October 15, 2015
                          1237 Posts
                          Posted: August 15, 2016, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Anyone wondering why I posted this about Chinese fortune cookies?  If you weren't up early this morning reading the threads... You missed it.  LOL

Never give up.  Banana

Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #169723
                            October 29, 2015
                            875 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2016, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Anyone wondering why I posted this about Chinese fortune cookies?  If you weren't up early this morning reading the threads... You missed it.  LOL

Thanks LIGB

Wink

The Meatman

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3044 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2016, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I would keep on buying tickets hoping to get a second jackpot.-weshar75

US Flag