Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Marie Holmes / Iyanla "Fix My Life" / Sat Oct 22, 2016

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 1 month ago by Redd55.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #164725
March 12, 2015
342 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2016, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Judging by the lack of response that not too many watched the show. I didn't watch it either but was merely curious as to what others thought?

I dont have television. I did watch the 3 or 4 clips of the show on youtube and it was off putting. One can find the entire show on the internet to watch now but I think I will pass.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    613 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2016, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

This is Iyanlas recap, guessing OWN doesn't post its' whole episodes to youtube. Of course one can find it on alternative sites.

Nolege is power.

United States
      Member #164725
      March 12, 2015
      342 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2016, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

This is Iyanlas recap, guessing OWN doesn't post its' whole episodes to youtube. Of course one can find it on alternative sites.

Listened to the first 7 minutes. She said that he was in a federal prison but it was a state case and he is in a state prison. She also said that Marie believed there was a chance that Lamar would not go to prison. I dont know where she got that idea.  He was no small time dealer and frankly his sentence of 10 years with 7.5 years to be served before parole could be granted was a very lenient sentence for the amount of drugs he was caught dealing.  What I am curious about is how she intends to protect herself from extortion. Prisoners will be threatening Lamar's life unless Marie pays money. And while I think Lamar has gang ties that may afford him some protection, most likely they will be demanding money from Marie, too. 

Germany
        Member #164603
        March 8, 2015
        613 Posts
        Posted: October 24, 2016, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Listened to the first 7 minutes. She said that he was in a federal prison but it was a state case and he is in a state prison. She also said that Marie believed there was a chance that Lamar would not go to prison. I dont know where she got that idea.  He was no small time dealer and frankly his sentence of 10 years with 7.5 years to be served before parole could be granted was a very lenient sentence for the amount of drugs he was caught dealing.  What I am curious about is how she intends to protect herself from extortion. Prisoners will be threatening Lamar's life unless Marie pays money. And while I think Lamar has gang ties that may afford him some protection, most likely they will be demanding money from Marie, too. 

There were a few inaccuracies on that show. I think it's great that Iyanla cleared up the tax and bail bond situation.

I was thinking about how he would be threatened, maybe she'll have to beef up his comissary account.

Nolege is power.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
          USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1092 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2016, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Iyanla did clear up the misconception of how much Marie actually spent bailing out Hot sauce. She also confirmed what many of us here at LP already knew in terms of what Marie actually netted after all tax obligations were met. 90% of the population thinks she took home $188 million when in reality it was one third.

Glad to hear that Marie did get financial advice and most of us just hope that she follows it. I had heard elsewhere she bought a plantation, not sure if it was a joke or just a reference to a large estate.

Germany
            Member #164603
            March 8, 2015
            613 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2016, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Iyanla did clear up the misconception of how much Marie actually spent bailing out Hot sauce. She also confirmed what many of us here at LP already knew in terms of what Marie actually netted after all tax obligations were met. 90% of the population thinks she took home $188 million when in reality it was one third.

Glad to hear that Marie did get financial advice and most of us just hope that she follows it. I had heard elsewhere she bought a plantation, not sure if it was a joke or just a reference to a large estate.

Nope, not a joke, the mansion she bought was a plantation and Iyanla commented on it many times.

In the first talk with Marie she says "You realize this is a plantation right?" Marie explains she wanted her kids to have a big yard. And in her commentary regularly called it a plantation.

When they come to dirt bikes and go carts in the garden she says "You were blessed by god with this money and don't value the things in your gardenb that your money bought when 100 years ago your ancestors might have been in this same garden picking cotton while being whipped" or something along those lines.

Nolege is power.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
              N.C.
              United States
              Member #56005
              October 28, 2007
              832 Posts
              Posted: October 25, 2016, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

If winning the Powerball didn't fix her life, nothing will.  I really don't feel sorry for her.

Its really hard to agree with an extreme right winger such as your self LiveInGreenBay..lol
              but I'm with you all the way on this view!

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1246 Posts
                Posted: October 26, 2016, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Its really hard to agree with an extreme right winger such as your self LiveInGreenBay..lol
                but I'm with you all the way on this view!

You calling George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the other foundering fathers "right wingers"?

Never give up.  Banana

N.C.
                  United States
                  Member #56005
                  October 28, 2007
                  832 Posts
                  Posted: October 26, 2016, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

You calling George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the other foundering fathers "right wingers"?

I don't believe I mentioned any of our founding fathers
                  Mr. LiveinGreenBay. I simply agreed with you.
                  but since you asked the question.

by todays standards?...yes!!
                  however there were different political parties back in those days.
                  keep in mind that Jefferson was certaintly more liberal than Washington.

Washington was only liberal towards getting away from English rule
                  and thats so he could line his all ready deep pockets with more money!

they do have a record of George Washington buying a lottery ticket!
                  I bet if he would have won, he would have put the money to better use
                  than bailing out a thug named "Hot Sauce"

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                    Green Bay
                    United States
                    Member #169391
                    October 15, 2015
                    1246 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2016, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe I mentioned any of our founding fathers
                    Mr. LiveinGreenBay. I simply agreed with you.
                    but since you asked the question.

by todays standards?...yes!!
                    however there were different political parties back in those days.
                    keep in mind that Jefferson was certaintly more liberal than Washington.

Washington was only liberal towards getting away from English rule
                    and thats so he could line his all ready deep pockets with more money!

they do have a record of George Washington buying a lottery ticket!
                    I bet if he would have won, he would have put the money to better use
                    than bailing out a thug named "Hot Sauce"

Just wondering LottoAce... Where were you educated?  Public school no doubt.  You're way off base buddy.

Never give up.  Banana

N.C.
                      United States
                      Member #56005
                      October 28, 2007
                      832 Posts
                      Posted: October 26, 2016, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering LottoAce... Where were you educated?  Public school no doubt.  You're way off base buddy.

I have never discontinued my education. always eager to learn.
                      you mention public school as if you were educated in some expensive private institution.
                      almost like your snubbing your nose in the air, like a stuck up cheerleader.
                      I'm guessing you were home schooled?

Ma..Ma..Mama say's "Green Bay Packer fans are arnory
                      because thier team sucks!"

well, if your thick enough skinned and can honestly make a valid point
                      to your argument then I will tip my glass.

you honestly believe that in todays times, that
                      GW and TJ (with thier belief systems)
                      would be considered bleeding heart liberals?
                      and would join the Democratic Party
                      really?

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                        USA
                        United States
                        Member #152799
                        February 25, 2014
                        1092 Posts
                        Posted: October 27, 2016, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Nope, not a joke, the mansion she bought was a plantation and Iyanla commented on it many times.

In the first talk with Marie she says "You realize this is a plantation right?" Marie explains she wanted her kids to have a big yard. And in her commentary regularly called it a plantation.

When they come to dirt bikes and go carts in the garden she says "You were blessed by god with this money and don't value the things in your gardenb that your money bought when 100 years ago your ancestors might have been in this same garden picking cotton while being whipped" or something along those lines.

Slavery ended in 1865 under Abraham Lincoln and was widely protested by the Democrats.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the plantation she bought was in use prior to that time?

United States
                          Member #164725
                          March 12, 2015
                          342 Posts
                          Posted: October 27, 2016, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Slavery ended in 1865 under Abraham Lincoln and was widely protested by the Democrats.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the plantation she bought was in use prior to that time?

Iyanla certainly implied that it was a slave plantation but I can not find anything on the internet about her house.  It doesnt quite look as old as the other houses from that period. Plus those two wings - I've never seen them in a house from that period or a modern house.  Maybe those are more recent additions? You would think that area, Sharlotte, NC,  would have a list of historical plantation homes in their city/county. If they do, I havent found it.

N.C.
                            United States
                            Member #56005
                            October 28, 2007
                            832 Posts
                            Posted: October 27, 2016, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Iyanla certainly implied that it was a slave plantation but I can not find anything on the internet about her house.  It doesnt quite look as old as the other houses from that period. Plus those two wings - I've never seen them in a house from that period or a modern house.  Maybe those are more recent additions? You would think that area, Sharlotte, NC,  would have a list of historical plantation homes in their city/county. If they do, I havent found it.

Were not real proud of that part of our heritage here in N.C.
                            not like Georgia or Virginia, or some of the other southern
                            states...the "old south" is gone with the wind.

United States
                              Member #164725
                              March 12, 2015
                              342 Posts
                              Posted: October 27, 2016, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Were not real proud of that part of our heritage here in N.C.
                              not like Georgia or Virginia, or some of the other southern
                              states...the "old south" is gone with the wind.

Enough.  There are plenty of listings of historical plantations for NC, including a few in Brunswick County where Marie lives. I just cant find Marie's home which makes me question whether her home really was a plantation home.