Your dog could be a Tennessee Lottery scratch-off star

Apr 26, 2018, 8:37 am (50 comments)

Tennessee Lottery

So you think you've got the smartest, sweetest, and downright most adorable pup in Tennessee?

Now is your chance to see if others agree.

The Tennessee Lottery is conducting a "Dog Days of Summer" photo contest through May 7 in search of the next "Tennessee Pup Star."

The lottery is inviting participants to send photos of their dogs (puppies or adults) and will select 10 of the "smartest, sweetest and downright most adorable" to feature on Instant Game tickets to be issued this summer.

Just think, your dog's face could be associated with great joy for Instant Game winners (and profound disappointment for losers who had unrealistic expectations about their lottery ticket purchases).

A few guidelines:

1. Dogs only. You may think your pet tarantula is gorgeous, but the Tennessee Lottery is actually trying to entice people to buy tickets, not scare them half to death.
  2. Dogs must be the main focus. If your precious toddler has Fido in a choke-hold, just keep that to yourself.
  3. Photo must not be too dark, blurry, bright or flashy. You may recognize that fuzzy snout sticking out of the rumpled bedding, but to the rest of us it might look like a crime scene.
  4. Photos of at least 240 DPI are preferred. If you aren't sure what that means, Google can be your friend.

The entry form and official rules, as well as a gallery of submitted photos, can be found on the Tennessee Lottery's Facebook page.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

That's an interesting game.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

noise-gate

l hate to say this, but the Tennessee Lottery is going to the dogs!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

This one is mine, so he gets my vote

Todd's avatarTodd

Glad to see our member's dogs, keep it going!

wander73's avatarwander73

This topic is too funny.  Animals are smart pets no questions about it.  I wonder what the idea behind this is.

music*'s avatarmusic*

If the President of the United States wants a friend he or she should get a dog.

Lovely dogs so far on this thread.

Facebook page, really.   I don't have Facebook and I haven't been on there in almost 3 years and I have better things to do than Facebook waste of time

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Amazed that an adult could not understand a simple marketing tactic since most people love animals and have pets. Therfore, interest and publicity is created in the event.

Quote: Originally posted by on May 10, 2024

Awwww I love kitties. Always hard when they pass...so sorry for your loss... but I believe we will see our pets again one day in the afterlife.

Vergie6

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Apr 26, 2018

Awwww I love kitties. Always hard when they pass...so sorry for your loss... but I believe we will see our pets again one day in the afterlife.

Thank you!...me too!

I can still see Shaka looking at me really serious and I wonder if he was trying to tell me he had cancer because he had no symptoms up until the end and the Dr. said they hide it when they're sick & that he just couldn't cope any longer.

I guess I'll be making a trip to the animal shelter before long to get another cat...I think you need 2 so they can have one of their own kind to love & won't be lonely when I'm not home.

Quote: Originally posted by Vergie6 on Apr 26, 2018

Thank you!...me too!

I can still see Shaka looking at me really serious and I wonder if he was trying to tell me he had cancer because he had no symptoms up until the end and the Dr. said they hide it when they're sick & that he just couldn't cope any longer.

I guess I'll be making a trip to the animal shelter before long to get another cat...I think you need 2 so they can have one of their own kind to love & won't be lonely when I'm not home.

I agree. 2 at least. I have a nestcam and check in on them while at work.

Vergie6

I agree. 2 at least. I have a nestcam and check in on them while at work.

That's great!

Amazed that an adult could not understand a simple marketing tactic since most people love animals and have pets. Therfore, interest and publicity is created in the event.

I guess that no one cares if they're photos are used for  third party marketing from companies.  It's a shame that anyone who does social media doesn't realize a risk being taken. 

So I guess some people will be shocked if companies "own" photos which social media does have a right to do what they want.  It's in the terms of agreement on all the sites.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by wander73 on Apr 26, 2018

I guess that no one cares if they're photos are used for  third party marketing from companies.  It's a shame that anyone who does social media doesn't realize a risk being taken. 

So I guess some people will be shocked if companies "own" photos which social media does have a right to do what they want.  It's in the terms of agreement on all the sites.

Bah humbug! I'm sure lottery fans would be thrilled to have their dog appear on a scratch-off lottery ticket.  Maybe you're not a dog owner?

I agree with Todd. By the way, the winner will sign a release for the use of his/her photo in advertising. This is standard practice and I am familiar with such releases. No business asks for your copyright and you maintain copyright ownership of your image. It is simply a licensing of your image for a limited time and under certain conditions. Most people would be thrilled to have an image selected, especially photographers.

By the way, just because you post an image on social media, your copyright is not waived in any manner. I am very familiar with this area of law. That is an urban myth that your rights are waived. That is also a myth about social media sites owning your images.  The photographer always retains copyright ownership of their image and lawsuits over unauthorized use happen every day. I know artists who have come across others using their images for a commercial purpose and had the internet service provider remove the image if the violator did not respond to a cease and desist letter. However to sue for monetary damages you need to have registered your image with the copyright office.

I also know many artists who dream of getting a licensing deal for their images...ranging from greeting cards, mass produced art work, etc. The royalties from licensing your art work can be very lucrative .

I agree with Todd. By the way, the winner will sign a release for the use of his/her photo in advertising. This is standard practice and I am familiar with such releases. No business asks for your copyright and you maintain copyright ownership of your image. It is simply a licensing of your image for a limited time and under certain conditions. Most people would be thrilled to have an image selected, especially photographers.

By the way, just because you post an image on social media, your copyright is not waived in any manner. I am very familiar with this area of law. That is an urban myth that your rights are waived. That is also a myth about social media sites owning your images.  The photographer always retains copyright ownership of their image and lawsuits over unauthorized use happen every day. I know artists who have come across others using their images for a commercial purpose and had the internet service provider remove the image if the violator did not respond to a cease and desist letter. However to sue for monetary damages you need to have registered your image with the copyright office.

I also know many artists who dream of getting a licensing deal for their images...ranging from greeting cards, mass produced art work, etc. The royalties from licensing your art work can be very lucrative .

I know what all the sites say.  The other day on instagram I read their terms of agreement. 

In fact I was talking to a lawyer due to the facebook mishap.  People need to watch what they post up on social media because facebook can do whatever they want to.  You're giving rights to a major site,  a hacker who is a billionaire and I swear I have huge problems.  If it were me to go through this I would hire a lawyer and have the lawyer ask for more than a percentage of profits from it. 

You know where I am coming from and if that lawyer does get back to me and stuff is overturned well then people don't read the fine print.  You're giving away your life to these companies and corporations.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Apr 26, 2018

Bah humbug! I'm sure lottery fans would be thrilled to have their dog appear on a scratch-off lottery ticket.  Maybe you're not a dog owner?

I used to own a dog years ago.  I only have one cat.

Unless someone is making a profit off your image and commercializing it, there is no legal issue. By the way, I am an attorney and know copyright law. You are incorrect about the law. But I also surmise you would not come across as a credible witness so that is a major factor in any potential suit as well. If you make zero sense when you speak, case closed. 

*Personal opinion only.

Unless someone is making a profit off your image and commercializing it, there is no legal issue. By the way, I am an attorney and know copyright law. You are incorrect about the law. But I also surmise you would not come across as a credible witness so that is a major factor in any potential suit as well. If you make zero sense when you speak, case closed. 

*Personal opinion only.

How do I know you're a lawyer too? 

I also know copyright law as well.  My image on my site is copyright.  No one can steal it.

Can we all be friends?

Too????? Lol. I have wasted enough of my time. You are not exactly "intellectual" and rarely a day goes by where someone does not post that same thought.

And you have no cause of action just because Zuckerberg printed off your ugly pic and threw darts at it.

And back to puppehs and kittehs!!!

Too????? Lol. I have wasted enough of my time. You are not exactly "intellectual" and rarely a day goes by where someone does not post that same thought.

And you have no cause of action just because Zuckerberg printed off your ugly pic and threw darts at it.

And back to puppehs and kittehs!!!

Ugly.   You're not any better.  All you do is can't wait for that mass fortune.  Oh wait, you're a lawyer, right.  You know it all. 

Let me know when you're number one on the list.    Oh and stop hiding behind a screen and monitor. 

If your method you claim is working, why aren't you #1 then?

duckman's avatarduckman

Bo' decided to hide his identity when he won the lottery Smile

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Apr 27, 2018

Vergie6

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Apr 26, 2018

Can we all be friends?

Yes PLEASE!

We're talking about sweet animals here!

Vergie6

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Apr 27, 2018

I love that one!...funny & cute!

Cute pets here.

Hope we can see more.

Have a fantastic day everyone.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

If you let somebody look at your image on their monitor there is absolutely nothing you can do to keep them from stealing it. The most you can do is take legal action against them if you find out that they stole it.

As far as various companies gaining ownership based on the TOS, that's a common misunderstanding of the companies' intent, often based on poor phrasing in the TOS. If you really understand copyright you should understand why the TOS includes clauses allowing the company to copy and distribute your work. Simply posting your work to a site like Facebook offers implied consent, but the TOS makes your consent explicit. If there was no consent the company would be infringing on your copyright every time they copied/reproduced your work, whether by backing up a server or distributing a digital copy by allowing another user to view it.

Of course you're right about entering photo contests. Entering a photo or other work into a contest usually means granting a broad license for the company to use that work. I can't understand why anyone with something that deserves to win would grant that license with no promise of compensation. For anyone who ever thought about entering a photo contest and didn't realize what they might be giving away, consider the meaning of this typical phrasing:

"you grant the Smithsonian Institution (and those authorized by the Smithsonian) a royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any Smithsonian Institution purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the magazine and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to Smithsonian Institution publications."

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Apr 27, 2018

Cute pets here.

Hope we can see more.

Have a fantastic day everyone.

My two Rottweilers refuse to sit for a photo shoot.

Professional artists have no hesitation to grant licensing rights to institutions with worldwide reputations for excellence such as the Smithsonian. Unless one is familiar with artist resumes, competitive juried shows, etc, blue chip collectors, one would not understand how major this is in the career of an artist. There are wealthy collectors who follow this info and acquire artworks on this basis. It is the goal of every professional artist to get into as many museum collections as possible, museum shows, exposure to curators, etc. Museum curators are almost stalked at events by some artists. Only a fraction of 1% of artists attain this level and this is how your artwork goes up in value. When your work is acquired, it means it is expected to go up in value.

I also do not object when someone, usually art students,  "borrow" one of my images and put it up on pinterest as one of their favorites. Is it technically a cr violation?  Yes. But as long as they are not making a profit on it, and  give me my proper credit, I am flattered and thankful for the free publicity.

Game, set, and match to Mademoiselle Artist. 

And to all others who may not know the facts, I have never posted about having a solved lottery system. This dummy harangued me via private messages when I was doing very well in the challenges, demanding to know what my system was and how he could rework it into a winning ststem. I had to block him and then he posted about trying to do me a favor and kept obsessing about my "system" in posts. It was bizarre. Lol If you search his posts, he becomes very confrontational and demanding when someone references working on a system and this happens often..usually weekly... with multiple members. No matter how many times he is told by members that everyone has their own system for picking numbers, he cannot process this information. 

By the way, aren't we all behind computer screens? No No

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Apr 27, 2018

Game, set, and match to Mademoiselle Artist. 

And to all others who may not know the facts, I have never posted about having a solved lottery system. This dummy harangued me via private messages when I was doing very well in the challenges, demanding to know what my system was and how he could rework it into a winning ststem. I had to block him and then he posted about trying to do me a favor and kept obsessing about my "system" in posts. It was bizarre. Lol If you search his posts, he becomes very confrontational and demanding when someone references working on a system and this happens often..usually weekly... with multiple members. No matter how many times he is told by members that everyone has their own system for picking numbers, he cannot process this information. 

By the way, aren't we all behind computer screens? No No

This dummy is no slouch.  As a matter of fact, take a look at the standings.  I never said you posted anything.  If your system is good then why are you actually winning?

Lol  You all can see my point. He cannot process basic readable information and read rankings charts. Based on the latest set of stats in the friendly competitions, I am #2 and he is near the bottom. His obsession speaks for itself. Something is very off about him and his extreme mood highs and lows. He became angry when he did not do well last year and dropped out of the competitions when his rankings were dropping. He posted about being ranked among the best players in the world. Very sad he does not have a life.

Vergie6

Maybe I shouldn't have posted the pictures of my cats since the article was about dog pictures but it's already posted now but can we just get back to posting pictures of dogs on here as it started out & not worry about all the other stuff!

partlycloudy07

This is sugar chesapeake bay retriever and probably wouldn't sit still unless it involves a fish or a duck.....lol

Vergie6

Smart doggies!

Not mine but it would look cute on a scratch card!

Vergie6

Quote: Originally posted by partlycloudy07 on Apr 28, 2018

This is sugar chesapeake bay retriever and probably wouldn't sit still unless it involves a fish or a duck.....lol

PC you read my mind...was just getting ready to pm you to see if you would post your dog's picture!

Thank you...great picture of you both!

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 26, 2018

This one is mine, so he gets my vote

What a beauty, need a dog sitter I will do it.

sully16's avatarsully16

Another beauty.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Vergie6 on Apr 28, 2018

Maybe I shouldn't have posted the pictures of my cats since the article was about dog pictures but it's already posted now but can we just get back to posting pictures of dogs on here as it started out & not worry about all the other stuff!

I'm going to end up bringing another dog home if I keep looking at these pictures, they are adorable.

partlycloudy07

Thanks he is a mess .......he absolutely loves the water and will bring you a fish back drop it at your feet and I'll say "sugar go put that fish back, he picks it up and goes back in the water with it" ....lets not even discuss ducks and birds when it comes to a sugar he's not allowed to go hunting anymore with the guys...bless his heart lol

Thanks he is a mess .......he absolutely loves the water and will bring you a fish back drop it at your feet and I'll say "sugar go put that fish back, he picks it up and goes back in the water with it" ....lets not even discuss ducks and birds when it comes to a sugar he's not allowed to go hunting anymore with the guys...bless his heart lol

Green laughsounds like a cat I had once, her name was Sheba aka the Sheba-nator aka World class rabbit hunter 

I used to think it was her way of paying rent in some senses jejeje

Saddly she had passed away several years ago and I still miss her 'Tude and warmth

noise-gate

Growing up my Father used to say " Cats are useless, they can't even bring in the newspaper off the lawn, or get you your slippers."

* Now that's what he used to say, not me.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 28, 2018

Thanks Sully..........He is extremely particular who he lets in the house or on the property. Had the brick mason over the other day and my faithful 4-legged friend did not like him one bit !    No No   He tried to go around me 3 times to get to the poor guy,and even started with one of those nasty aggressive growls just before they bite....  Green laugh.  He's not a fan of the property appraisers office man or the underground utilities locating guy either. Squirrels,bunnies, armadillos, cats, stray dogs and the neighborhood hawk aren't welcome at all.

He is fun to take down to our local Petsmart. I walk him down back to show him the cats. Everyone in the entire store knows where we are after he spots them.  Naughty..........yeah, yeah, yeah, I know,be nice to the kitties.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 28, 2018

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 28, 2018

Thanks Sully..........He is extremely particular who he lets in the house or on the property. Had the brick mason over the other day and my faithful 4-legged friend did not like him one bit !    No No   He tried to go around me 3 times to get to the poor guy,and even started with one of those nasty aggressive growls just before they bite....  Green laugh.  He's not a fan of the property appraisers office man or the underground utilities locating guy either. Squirrels,bunnies, armadillos, cats, stray dogs and the neighborhood hawk aren't welcome at all.

He is fun to take down to our local Petsmart. I walk him down back to show him the cats. Everyone in the entire store knows where we are after he spots them.  Naughty..........yeah, yeah, yeah, I know,be nice to the kitties.

A dearly departed friend referred to his dogs as 4-legged burglar alarms. Thumbs Up

Vergie6

Handsome dog!...Bet Sully will like that!

sully16's avatarsully16

Well hello sweetheart.

sully16's avatarsully16

Great dogs, the cop across the street is training his new K9 pup, another beauty.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story