Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Beating The Lottery

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 13 years ago by lottoscorp.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Are we close to finding a way?

Yes, definitely. [ 9 ]  [18.37%]
No [ 23 ]  [46.94%]
Maybe [ 9 ]  [18.37%]
Who really cares /in for the fun [ 8 ]  [16.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
Bakersfield
United States
Member #1568
May 24, 2003
421 Posts
Posted: July 12, 2003, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Hey Bobby  I have another one for you.  This is from my lottopeople magazine.. They have a site on line but I have not checked it out yet.  But it touches base on a lot of things we have been discussing.

Carney Langford    85  years old from Visalia, Ca.  Won $10 million on superlottoplus April 16, 2003.  Chose lump sum (that was certainly a given). After taxes, over 4 million.

Says he knew if he lived long enough, he'd finally win the lotto. (O.K. We all believe we are going to win.)

Says he has religiously played the same two sets of numbers ever since th gam began. Winning numbers 12, 14, 18, 31,46, and Mega Number 7. Birthdays of his two sons,ages of his two grandsons and the numbes on their football jerseys. Afraid not to play them. But did miss playing 4 times and was scared to death. What if those numbers won? (I don't think I would want to put myself through that)  But they did finally hit.

His advice: "Just keep at it. Be consistent. And believe in the dream. My dream came true. Your could too." 

Now, suppose they actually had a cutoff age on the age you could play the lotto.? He would not have been able to play and win.  He plans on traveling to France and Germany. 

Don't we all hope we are all doing that well, if we reach the age of 85; and that we are still playing the lottery and believing in our dreams.  I just don't want to wait that long to win. lol

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
    light on my feet
    United States
    Member #356
    May 20, 2002
    2744 Posts
    Posted: July 12, 2003, 9:36 pm - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by Calscorp on July 12, 2003

Visiondude     So, do you think the wife would still play the same numbers?

the way that they portrayed her on TV is that she probably went down to the lottery retailer and bought a ticket before her husbands body was cold. they (TV) showed her really berating her husband which probably incited him to end his life. man if he wanted to get away from her, he could've lived with me and my family (geesh). who knows, maybe that "lady" posts at lottery post. probably under the screename "lotteryblackwidow".

VDQUICK PICKLS

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

Bakersfield
      United States
      Member #1568
      May 24, 2003
      421 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:09 am - IP Logged

Mayby i f she had took over the responsibility of buying the tickets they would have won and he would be alive.  I wish I had seen the show.  If you want it done right ; do it yourself.  But I guess he was the one in charge of purchasing the tickets.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2003, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Hence the trap of sticking to a regular set of numbers... I get the impression that they had problems that even winning wouldn't have solved.

Bakersfield
          United States
          Member #1568
          May 24, 2003
          421 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2003, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Visiondude  So, were they an older couple?

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
            light on my feet
            United States
            Member #356
            May 20, 2002
            2744 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2003, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

calscorp,

the actors they

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

Bakersfield
              United States
              Member #1568
              May 24, 2003
              421 Posts
              Posted: July 14, 2003, 6:18 am - IP Logged

You are right.  At that age it doesn't make any since at all.  You definitely had a better ending.  Well, it is obvious we'll never know why he did it.  lol    Thanks  I was just curious

midwstrngirl's avatar - hair

United States
                Member #1529
                May 18, 2003
                74 Posts
                Posted: July 14, 2003, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

why does everyone always blame the wife...isn't it possible he was the bad guy?

i don't think the guy should have killed himself...he made a mistake, we all do...but i think there is a story there...how many times in the past had he said he would "take care of it honey" and then frittered away his day on the couch and not done what he said he would do...i think the wife had a good reason to be ticked off...he didn't take care of business like he said he would

you all are focusing on the fact that he should have left her and not killed himself...of course that is true...but you are all ignoring the possibility that this guy could have been a monumental screw up, and he felt so guilty about letting his wife down for the zillionth time, that rather than face it, he offed himself.  then again, maybe it wasn't his wifes anger that he couldn't face, but his own face in the mirror everyday having to live with the fact that he blew it

the real solution here isn't divorce....it is a simple rule to live by:

if you say you are going to do something, do it

and...it's only money...it's only a game...don't take it so seriously

"It is an old maxim of mine, that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. "

"I presume nothing. I imagine nothing. Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay. "

Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of Four

Pacific Northwest
                  United States
                  Member #1229
                  March 6, 2003
                  707 Posts
                  Posted: July 14, 2003, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Calscorp

That is an interesting story; my father always played the same numbers too (Did not live long enough to win unfortunately!) The numbers were 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 49 (in Germany's 6/49 + Bonus Number Game). He probably would have been disappointed because he was surely not the only one playing these obvious numbers.

"Says he has religiously played the same two sets of numbers ever since th gam began. Winning numbers 12, 14, 18, 31,46, and Mega Number 7. Birthdays of his two sons,ages of his two grandsons and the numbes on their football jerseys. Afraid not to play them. But did miss playing 4 times and was scared to death. What if those numbers won? (I don't think I would want to put myself through that)  But they did finally hit."

Now when did that game start, and he left the age of his grandsons the same the whole time? I find picking and apparently keeping the age of someone interesting. Funny!

Good Luck

Bakersfield
                    United States
                    Member #1568
                    May 24, 2003
                    421 Posts
                    Posted: July 14, 2003, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

You have made a very good point.  I did not see the show so I actually have no way of knowing what actually happened.  Just the info I have received.

I would wish that they were really as much in love then as the day they they fell in love.  (Excuse me guys while I get a little nostalgic here) But we can look at both sides.  Maybe they did take turns buying the ticket. And something else was on his mind so he just didn't remember.  But  I do wish she was distraught over losing the love of her life.  And that she dventually realized the huge mistake she had made and she wished she could put things back the way they were.    O.K.  I can still believe in fairy tales. lol

But, like  I said, we will never know what happened that day and we don't know what was going through either one of their heads that day.

Perhaps he was a screw-up. And couldn't stand the idea of facing himself in the mirror.  I am sure though that everyone will have to decide what they want to believe in their own minds.  But, remember, it is very doubtful we will ever really find out.

Thanks again for a different point of view midwstrngirl.

Bakersfield
                      United States
                      Member #1568
                      May 24, 2003
                      421 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2003, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Everett

You know I wondered about that,  too ( the ages). I think we changed to superlottoplus maybe 3 years ago , maybe a little more. They could have kept it as far as Iam concerned.  May be too many people were winning and they had to make it more difficult. I will see if I can find the date it changed. I was wondering if anyone else would notice that.

Bakersfield
                        United States
                        Member #1568
                        May 24, 2003
                        421 Posts
                        Posted: July 14, 2003, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Everett

So far, I figure the lotto changed somewhere between Feb. 19 2000 and Oct 2000. The little newsletters I have , have numbers posted up to Feb19 for superlotto. The other date talks about superlottoplus.  Now, he did say he played two sets of numbers and only gave the numbers for the winning set. So, your guess is as good as mine.

Pacific Northwest
                          United States
                          Member #1229
                          March 6, 2003
                          707 Posts
                          Posted: July 14, 2003, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Calscorp,

Thanks for the response and research. I thought about the issue of what numbers people pick because it is a partial topic in the Monthly Lottery Newsletter that should be out tonight in the Newsletter Archives. I find it very interesting that people pick numbers out of a different context and project it into lottery, not as a system but apparently as a method to pick numbers.

Good Luck

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                            Clarksville
                            United States
                            Member #487
                            July 15, 2002
                            17638 Posts
                            Posted: July 17, 2003, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

I have found this thread to be very, very entertaining.  We had the first 100 million dollar PB lottery player come from Nashville,TN.  This is what happened.  A girl was coming to Oak Grove to buy her a couple of tickets for the PB.  He gave her 2.00 and asked if she would get him 2 quick picks, too.  She got the 2 quick picks and gave him his 2.  He had one ticket that was worth 100+ million dollars (maybe 97 but whatever, it was close to 100 million).  He promised her that he would give her 1 million dollars for herself.  I have heard that she did not get any money  right away and  he moved to California.  Another work aquaintance of mine said that dventually he did give her something though not a million.  that is why when I go get numbers for someone else, I also take the time to fill out a ticket with the same numbers for myself.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Bakersfield
                              United States
                              Member #1568
                              May 24, 2003
                              421 Posts
                              Posted: July 17, 2003, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

That is really great. So many times you hear of promises being made and not being kept.  I am delighted she got some money out of it.

My two girlfriends at work collect the cans and bottles at work for superlotto tickets. Anytime, I play I am playing for the 3 of us. It doesn't matter that it is all my money, I made a promise that if the numbers are there then we all won.  Too many people don't keep their word.

Thank you for sharing. I am always fascinated with these kinds of stories about people that have won.

T