Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Any tips on scratch offs

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 12 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8395 Posts
Posted: July 20, 2004, 6:21 am - IP Logged

Buying a scratch off ticket worth a decent amount is like walking down the street and finding a roll of twenties in the gutter it might happen once in your lifetime. Then again it might not. I have bought a winning scratcher for 9 grand in a rinky dink bar that sells lotto tickets and scratchers. Once in a while when a new scratcher game for big buck hits the ticket counters I buy a few at different places. I'm talking the 5 and 10 dollar scratchers. With jackpots of 500,000 to 100,000. I don't buy scratchers for any game worth less than 100,000 bucks any more. Also if your going to buy these things check you local lottery web site and see how many top tier prizes are remaining before you decide to buy them.  Some states pull the lower prize payout scratchers off the shelves when all the top tier prizes are claimed and some don't.

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    OHIO
    United States
    Member #5328
    June 30, 2004
    1284 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2004, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Lottologist.

have a great winning day!

boston
      United States
      Member #5586
      July 12, 2004
      130 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2004, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I been playing a new scratch off ticket in Massachusetts "corvete". The game is still new and many people are wining, so far i have won more then i have lost buying "corvete". Try  it!

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2004, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Tony:

It doesn't say how the $1 million is paid (cash or annuity).

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3095 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2004, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I like to play the new tickets that come out each month if they are the $5 or $10 tickets.  I will usually buy a couple the most I have won is $50.

Waltham, Ma.
            United States
            Member #5658
            July 15, 2004
            14 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2004, 1:04 am - IP Logged

One Day, I wish you luck, if you ever do buy that many, please let me know how you do.

Cash Only, all the Mass. scratch ticket million or more winners are annuities.

but hey, I'll take it any way I can get it. :)

boston
              United States
              Member #5586
              July 12, 2004
              130 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2004, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

Yea unfortunatly they dont offer a cash option. If I ever win the corvette, will sell it and buy a 1959 cadillac.

NJ
                United States
                Member #6005
                August 1, 2004
                7 Posts
                Posted: August 2, 2004, 1:40 am - IP Logged

I work in a store but just one day a week as an extra job. I've been there 4 years and I've never seen a big winner. We did have one person who won a trip on a scratch off ticket. A few folks hit for $100, but nothing major. I've tried tracking certain games when a customer buys 4-5 in a row and doesn't win. Occasionally I will buy the next ticket and it might pay $5 or $10. Also, in NJ a book of tickets costs $300. Doesn't matter what denomination the game is. The $10 game has 30 tickets in a book. $2 game has 150 and so on. I've never purchased a full book but would like to try it someday just to see what I'd get. I have cut back on my scratch off purchases and am now concentrating on Pick3 game. Better odds.

Roslindale, MA
                  United States
                  Member #5377
                  July 1, 2004
                  135 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2004, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

What I don't like about the MA Corvette ticket (and the Harley Davidson ticket from about a year ago) is that stupid "prize package" winner (The Corvette package is a logo-festooned leather jacket, bag and sunglasses allegedly worth $456 - I forget what the HD package was). What good is that going to do someone if they win - at least if you win the car you can sell the ticket for a decent amount of money but I bet you'd be lucky to get $100 for a jacket and bag ticket.   

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2004, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

861:

There IS a Mass scratch game with a $1 million LUMP SUM top prize.

lottogenie's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      texas
                      United States
                      Member #2324
                      September 15, 2003
                      152 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2004, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

well i would think that the bigger cities would probably be sent more winning tickets makes sense dont ya think

Waltham, Ma.
                        United States
                        Member #5658
                        July 15, 2004
                        14 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2004, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Cash Only: which game? I know they have had one in the past, but I can't think of one running currently.

Lottogenie: that would definately make more sense from a business point of view, no doubt about it. However, if there was anyone  that knew where the big tickets were being placed, that would lead to so much corruption, not to mention breaking a few lottery laws. That would skew the tickets odds and be unfair to the smaller towns, if that could happen. As logic has it though, it is true that the bigger cities do have more winners, but not because of placement, but because of quantity sold. if a store in downtown Boston sells 20 books of a particular game in a week, it just stands to reason that he's going to see more big winners than the guy out in the small town selling one book a week.

:) just my two cents!

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2004, 9:35 am - IP Logged

861:

The one that has the big "$1,000,000" (called $1,000,000 in Cash).

Waltham, Ma.
                            United States
                            Member #5658
                            July 15, 2004
                            14 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2004, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Cash Only:

ok, yeah, that game is closed. the last million prize was claimed 5/14/03 and all other winners from that game had until 5/14/04 to claim them. I didn't think there were any currently running games with that option. they should do it more though, as it is a good selling point! :)

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                              Clarksville
                              United States
                              Member #487
                              July 15, 2002
                              17638 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2004, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I used to play scracth offs but The vegas odds on scrach off is like an overall 30% winning percentage. If the ticket says 1:4..it means versus all of the same ticket being sold all over the state..it does not mean you will win time if u buy 4 tickets.  Everytime i get the "urge" I go buy a powerball quick pick..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.