Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Any tips on scratch offs

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 12 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
OHIO
United States
Member #5328
June 30, 2004
1284 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2004, 12:38 pm - IP Logged
Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on September 01, 2004

i think that all $20 games, and some (maybe holiday) $10 games should have prizes less than the cost of the ticket.  CT has a $30 game, and not all tickets are winners.  people who buy those tickets are just stupid.

and the thing is you might buy three of them..and lose on all!

have a great winning day!

OHIO
    United States
    Member #5328
    June 30, 2004
    1284 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2004, 12:41 pm - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by qutgnt on August 31, 2004

I like the way the lottogist knows what is going on.  I just bought 20 of the IL $5 Anniversary game.  I have done this many times before.  Usually I can expect to get 50 bucks back.  Have hit for a 100 and 500 before.  I will scratch them off later tonite to find out what I have got.  People that buy books should be smart enough to realize that they will prob be getting only 50% back if they dont hit a big winner.  But buying a book as opposed to one ticket cuts your odds ( for this IL $5 game from 252,000 to one to about 2100 to one.

how did you do? also there is still no gurantee to get 50 percent back in a book..you could only get 30%..or of course hit the jackpot..if not already won!  Scracth offs are good for those who want to take the risk to hit a higher prize and then have the discipline to walk away when there ahead!

boston
      United States
      Member #5586
      July 12, 2004
      130 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2004, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Scratch offs are good for wining 100 or 200 dollar prizes but you have to know how and when to play. Never play alone, usually I go to 7 11 and I play only if there is some other guy already playing, usually supermarkets are not a good place to play cuz no body buys tickets there.  Always play the same kind of ticket, I have played wild millions and now I play corvette($5) in massachusetts.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8393 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2004, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

tonny2222 wrote:

usually supermarkets are not a good place to play cuz no body buys tickets there.

Maybe in your area there not, here we have a midsize supermarket that out sells all forms of lottery tickets agents. This supermarket is the top seller and holds the record for the most amount of lottery sales for the whole state year after year.  

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
          Chicago,IL.
          United States
          Member #2902
          November 29, 2003
          1436 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2004, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

boston
            United States
            Member #5586
            July 12, 2004
            130 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2004, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Fast Eddie, I been playing twice as much money as you and I have never won anything more then $200 so u should consider yourself extremly lucky.

United States
              Member #6636
              September 1, 2004
              1 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2004, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Do what the sales people do, watch what instant games most people are playing,then if there isn't a big winner in the last 15-20 tickets purchased your odds are good that there will soon be a big hit. You will need to waste a lot of time loitering in the store watching what others are playing. People who work in the store where I purchase my tickets told me they have done this many times with considerable luck.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2004, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

don't buy $20 tickets unless you get some money back.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8393 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2004, 10:43 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by addicted on September 01, 2004

Do what the sales people do, watch what instant games most people are playing,then if there isn't a big winner in the last 15-20 tickets purchased your odds are good that there will soon be a big hit. You will need to waste a lot of time loitering in the store watching what others are playing. People who work in the store where I purchase my tickets told me they have done this many times with considerable luck.

Yep they do that and many of them buy the first ten tickets from a new book I hear that many of the larger prizes are often found that way. Whenever I happen to buy scratch offs and I see them break out a new book I buy the first 5 scratchers. Some retailers sell tickets from the back of the book to the front they keep track of how many winners are on the scratch games then when the book gets close to the end. If no one claimed any large winners they buy the remanning tickets for themselves. I've seen it done many times. They do the same thing when they load tickets in machines.

Whenever a new scratch game hits the counters I try and get the first tickets from a new book. I get them from places that have a record for selling big winners.

Waltham, Ma.
                    United States
                    Member #5658
                    July 15, 2004
                    14 Posts
                    Posted: September 1, 2004, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

believe it or not, I've found that at least in MASS. it's just superstition to say the winners are at the beginning, or the end. I've had big winners from just about everywhere in the book, including the first ticket, and the last ticket. it is absoutely correct that if you can stand by and watch someone go through a bunch of losers, the odds are that something is coming. that is a great strategy. Mass. has the best payback of all the state lotteries (or so they claim). I have never gotten back less than 50% of what I spend when I buy entire books at a time.

Roslindale, MA
                      United States
                      Member #5377
                      July 1, 2004
                      135 Posts
                      Posted: September 5, 2004, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Don't rely on a theory that says if you buy a bunch of losing tickets in a row that the next winner will be larger to compensate (e.g. once I bought the last 15 tickets from a book of a $1 game - the first 13 tickets were losers, then the 14th ticket was a winner and the 15th was another loser. The payoff on that ticket that followed 13 losers? One dollar.)

Yinzer Country, PA
                        United States
                        Member #4067
                        March 18, 2004
                        2741 Posts
                        Posted: September 5, 2004, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

ok.  in  PA, the books usually have $185 in winners (give or take because the top prizes have to be somewhere).  that $185 could come in the form of 185 $1 winners, or 1 $100 winner, a $50 winner, a $25 winner, and a $10 winner.  the only people who know is the lottery.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Waltham, Ma.
                          United States
                          Member #5658
                          July 15, 2004
                          14 Posts
                          Posted: September 5, 2004, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

yeah, I agree. you can't co

Yinzer Country, PA
                            United States
                            Member #4067
                            March 18, 2004
                            2741 Posts
                            Posted: September 5, 2004, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

it costs $300, regardless of how much the ticket costs.

OHIO
                              United States
                              Member #5328
                              June 30, 2004
                              1284 Posts
                              Posted: September 5, 2004, 8:13 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on September 05, 2004

it costs $300, regardless of how much the ticket costs.

Doctorew..would most stores sell a book..or make you buy whats left on the roll..here in Ohio there on rolls..most places where I am say they never seen anyone win big(jackpot)..

If I had money, perhaps when I win buckeye 5! will buy a few rolls to do my own anyalysis!