$188 million lottery winner arrested on marijuana charges

Jul 27, 2015, 8:14 am (86 comments)

Powerball

North Carolina single mother Marie Holmes, who won the $188 million Powerball lottery in February, was arrested on July 23 for marijuana possession. Officers also arrested three other people from her home in Shallotte, North Carolina.

Holmes took home a lump sum $88 million after taxes in February. When she won, the 26-year-old single mother reportedly quit both of her jobs at Wal-Mart and McDonald's to care for her four young children, one of whom has cerebral palsy.

(See N.C. Powerball lottery winner claims share of jackpot worth $188 million, Lottery Post, Feb. 24, 2015.)

Although three children were at the house at the time of her arrest, Child Protective Services was not involved.

Public Information Officer Emily Flax with the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office stated that Lamar Andre McDow, 31, who lives with Holmes, broke his curfew in violation of his pre-trial release agreement for heroin trafficking and possession charges.

When police arrived at Holmes' residence to arrest McDow, they smelled marijuana, so they obtained a warrant, returned to the home and searched it around 10 p.m. on July 23. The officers reportedly found marijuana, drug paraphernalia and a .45 caliber pistol.

Police cited Holmes, 21-year-old Damarius Dontrell Simmons and 31-year-old Danell Lamont McNeil each for marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia.

Police also arrested 23-year-old Jeffrey Antuan Gause for resisting a public officer, and they later released him on a $1,000 bail.

McDow faces charges of possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana paraphernalia and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. McDow is currently detained in the Brunswick County Detention Facility, pending a $6 million bail.

According to the state, the gun is registered to Holmes, but McDow had handled it, which led to his firearm possession charge.

Assistant District Attorney Chris Thomas alleged that McDow is Holmes' fiance, and rumor has it that she has paid his bail before, although court payment records cannot confirm this. They point only to bail bondsmen, who do not typically disclose who paid them.

Opposing Views, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Lildarryl

and this is news because ???

 

I wonder how many other lottery winners got arrested after winning the lottery...

 

a petty misdemeanor charge. she probably smoke a lil weed.

itpmguru's avataritpmguru

"Sheriff's Office stated that Lamar Andre McDow, 31, who lives with Holmes, broke his curfew in violation of his pre-trial release agreement for heroin trafficking and possession charges."

 

Heroin........nice, guess she needs to choose her boyfriends a bit more carefully going forward.  Guessing she is one that will be broke in a year!

Rman313's avatarRman313

WOW!!! Sounds like she has been involved with the wrong type of people!! I hope she delete those out of her life who will ruin her! She will be broke again if she doesn't rethink her life and leave those drugs alone.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by Lildarryl on Jul 27, 2015

and this is news because ???

 

I wonder how many other lottery winners got arrested after winning the lottery...

 

a petty misdemeanor charge. she probably smoke a lil weed.

It's news because of the life-choices she made before she won, and after she won. Life-choices that will end badly for her and her kids.

Whether someone wins a jackpot or not, they have to want to get out, or better yet, not get in to situations and life styles that are bad, and more importantly, choose who to be around.

I think it's a sad story to see this. But, not surprising.

Taurus$'s avatarTaurus$

Everybody has been jumping in on this news story about her all weekend in the Discussion forum and some have been jumping to conclusions already.  And a couple of posters most notable noise-gate and teddi have given opinions that made sense. Lets not judge her too soon because there is a lot that is not known. There are two sides to a story. But one thing is certain that everybody can agree on is who she has chosen to associate with. That was the thing that got her in hot water in the first place. 

CARBOB's avatarCARBOB

Quote: Originally posted by Taurus$ on Jul 27, 2015

Everybody has been jumping in on this news story about her all weekend in the Discussion forum and some have been jumping to conclusions already.  And a couple of posters most notable noise-gate and teddi have given opinions that made sense. Lets not judge her too soon because there is a lot that is not known. There are two sides to a story. But one thing is certain that everybody can agree on is who she has chosen to associate with. That was the thing that got her in hot water in the first place. 

"The simple but true fact of life is that you become like those with whom you
closely associate - for the good and the bad."

 

A Colin Powell quote.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

She will fight and win the cases but it will cost her. Good lawyers cost a lot.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

 waiting 4 the other boot to drop .......

 surprised that the kids weren't taken

Bleudog101

Time for her to smell the coffee.  Pack up your four kids and get the heck out of North Carolina and leave them losers behind.  They will drag you down and you'll be broke before you know it.  Now you have the police department watching you its time to leave.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Hopefully this is a wake up call for her to straighten out who she hangs around. With the money she has, she needs to move away from that area and away from people who will just enable this type of stuff. Get moved to somewhere like Colorado where at least if she does decide to smoke some marijuana, it'll be legal.

Gleno's avatarGleno

7/27/15

Marie's  first mistake was not to get the other 3 adults out of her home. Know that would be very difficult since one was her fiance.

Guess having the pistol in her home was for protection from predators in her area.

 

If she still enjoys pot, Colorado may be  a better place to live, at least she won't be arrested, but it could still get her into  trouble with child protection issues.

 

The fool that said," religion was the opium of the masses" ,seems to be a statement in  human contradictions, since many folks are addicted to something.
Opiates ( heroin addictions )  are the current epidemic in our land.

Prosecuting for pot seems to be a waste of time, but the local authorities in her area ,no doubt were keeping a close eye on her activities and figured it could  boost their local economy to prosecute. 

 

Hope and pray this family gets their problems resolved.

 

Thinking of...

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

money is opportunity. her and her kids now have all the opportunity they could ever have.  i just hop , for her , and for every lotto winner. they make the right choice , for the people that really matter. its tough.  only she can make it work. she can ask for help...  hopefully from righteous  trustworthy people...

good luck honey, you are going to need it.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Jul 27, 2015

7/27/15

Marie's  first mistake was not to get the other 3 adults out of her home. Know that would be very difficult since one was her fiance.

Guess having the pistol in her home was for protection from predators in her area.

 

If she still enjoys pot, Colorado may be  a better place to live, at least she won't be arrested, but it could still get her into  trouble with child protection issues.

 

The fool that said," religion was the opium of the masses" ,seems to be a statement in  human contradictions, since many folks are addicted to something.
Opiates ( heroin addictions )  are the current epidemic in our land.

Prosecuting for pot seems to be a waste of time, but the local authorities in her area ,no doubt were keeping a close eye on her activities and figured it could  boost their local economy to prosecute. 

 

Hope and pray this family gets their problems resolved.

 

Thinking of...

well after a quick bit of research she has the few options if shes a pot head ......

but if shes smart ,she'll quit and start putting her kids first and try not to wind up like Mr Edwards or worse

music*'s avatarmusic*

Marie Holmes said that she would pay her tithes. I suggest the she follow that money. I mean that she should look for decent human beings in her Church.  She could get referrals  to as many counselors as she wants.  The more counselors usually means the more wisdom that you will get.

 I hope that it is not to late for her to enter into a (DFZ) , a Decision Free Zone.  Susan Bradley CFP has authored ,"Sudden Money". this book will help her survive this culture shock. A DFZ will start after her honeymoon period of spending recklessly.  Her DFZ will last as long as the Winner needs it too. Hire Professionals ! She can afford them.

 I hope she learns the word "NO". She said that her children would not get everything they ask for. It is usually friends and family who are the most difficult to say NO too.

 Marie Holmes has at least seventy years ahead of her. She needs to make intelligent decisions from now on. Sure, she will make mistakes but those can be trivial and not hurt her financially speaking.

 I would suggest she look at CDARS. Which is , Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service. I might guess that the maximum amount she can invest into CDARS is $50 Million Dollars.  Like Will Rogers said,"I am more concerned about the return of my money and not the return on my money".  If you are curious then look up CDARS.com .

 I hope that she does not become another Rags to Riches to Rags story.  Plus not a Curse of the Lottery show.

 She should not ignore the IRS .  This year you can give up to $14,000.00 per person. She can use her Life time exclusion of $4.35 million.  She definitely needs a CPA because I need one now. I have doubts about that $$4.35 Million figure. I could be wrong.

  Marie needs an Attorney for Trusts and Estates, a CPA, a CFP, Insurance. The insurance is for Umbrella coverage in case anyone sues her for slipping on her property, or a car accident, etc.. A CFP which is a Certified Financial Planner to make a life long plan for her money. A CPA is a Certified Public Accountant for her taxes. She still owes taxes if she has not paid the remainder on her win. 

music*

Subscribe to this news story