Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quantum Physics

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 12 years ago by NewClub.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
East Jordan, MI
United States
Member #2
June 1, 2001
675 Posts
Posted: December 29, 2004, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi Friends,

I'm in the middle of Brian Greene's latest book; "The Fabric of the Cosmos"

Of particular interest is the fact that past, present and future exist simultaniously. This according to Einsteins equations of the nature of spacetime.

Thus being, your life and the decisions that you, or anyone else, make along the way are predetermined. There is nothing you can do to change the future. Seems that fate and destiny are a consequence of reality.

It is further stated that at some level you already know the decisions that you will make and the consequences that will dventually result. Your behavior up until the point of decision is an attempt to justify the destined outcome.

Every time that I have won the lottery. Or at least one of those should have, could have, would have experiences. I had a pre-sense that it was the right thing to do at the moment. Of course those feelings don't always come to me. Perhaps the circumstances were not right for the possiblility of success.

The closest I can come to describe the feeling. Is a brain-numbing thumping sensation inside my head accompanied by an elated sense of physical well-being. Like caffeine, nicotine, and adrenaline all rolled into one. Physiological changes before the dvent aside.

Given that the theory of past, present and future existing simultaniously is correct. What could one do to ensure success in predicting the draw dvent?

Hyperdimension's avatar - latest trace_171.gif

United States
    Member #9059
    November 26, 2004
    128 Posts
    Posted: December 29, 2004, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Sedertree, if you add to your theory the parallel universe theory..

Then If I play lotto and If I don't win (in this universe), I don't care because in other universe my double actually won the lottery with the same number I played here...

Regards

El pensamiento ordena el caos..

http://1x2quinielas.blogspot.com

East Jordan, MI
      United States
      Member #2
      June 1, 2001
      675 Posts
      Posted: December 29, 2004, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Good point and correct as well....

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
        Member #5599
        July 13, 2004
        1185 Posts
        Posted: December 30, 2004, 8:16 am - IP Logged

Are there any useful equations to support the theory?

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: December 30, 2004, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

If all else is equal...

Raher than trying to predict... what about trying to "Remember" the next draw?

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

East Jordan, MI
            United States
            Member #2
            June 1, 2001
            675 Posts
            Posted: December 30, 2004, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Hyper,

Once I'm finished with the book. Maybe I can come up with a useful equation for JKing. Einstein distanced himself from Quantum Mechanics, to bad, so sad..... Just read that his cosmological constant was dventually exonerated despite giving up on it when red shift was discovered.

He wanted so bad to believe in a static universe. I'll attribute that to his deep-seated religious beliefs. So Copernican.

Anyway....

Back to the question of parallel universes. How many are there? More importantly, how many do you inhabit? I have my own theory on that.

There are as many parallel universes as there are probabilities for any man-made dvent. It's not as if a new universe sprouts into existence everytime you decide to take a chance on an outcome with a set number of probabilities.

The future is inescapable and destined to be. Let's say YOU are the person who created an dvent with the MOST number of probable outcomes. Therefore at the moment of inflation, long before you or indeed the human race came to be. The exact number of parallel universes came into existance equal to probabilities in the dvent that YOU created.

Sounds good?? Let's say that you play Mega Millions and that is the biggest dvent that you ever take part in. The odds of winning are X so there are X number of parallel universes with a copy of yourself. There are indeed more universes than that. Since I'm sure someday there will be a Super, Super Mega Millions Game sometime in the future.

So lets say that you take a break from Mega Millions and Play the Pick-3. How many universes are there in which you win the Pick-3 with the one number you played straight? The answer is 135,145,920 divided by 1,000. Or 135,146 copies of yourself won the Pick-3. Were you one of the copies that won?

If you are not happy with that many copies of yourself? Playing Russian Roulette is one surefire way to reduce the number of universes with a copy of yourself. Take a six-shooter and equally space out three bullets. Each time you spin the barrel, fire and survive. You reduce the number of copies of yourself by half each time you survive, or don't. (I don't recommend this BTW), there are safer risks to take. LOL

Interesting stuff....

United States
              Member #9059
              November 26, 2004
              128 Posts
              Posted: December 30, 2004, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Very interesting your theory Sedertree,

Well, I'll continue buying lotto tickets to make happy millions of doubles in other parallel universes, maybe later I'll have my turn to win in this universe..

Regards

East Jordan, MI
                United States
                Member #2
                June 1, 2001
                675 Posts
                Posted: December 31, 2004, 3:31 am - IP Logged

JKing,

Try this neat link;

Quantum Mechanics

The Elegant Universe was Brian Greene's first book.

Canada
                  Member #6394
                  August 21, 2004
                  97 Posts
                  Posted: December 31, 2004, 3:54 am - IP Logged

Hmm...some serious talks about parallel universes and even lottery winning in them...and haven't seen someone provided a tiniest   proof about those universes existence so far.

BTW in this universe for a guaranteed 3/6 out of 49 is still something like 163 lines&

East Jordan, MI
                    United States
                    Member #2
                    June 1, 2001
                    675 Posts
                    Posted: December 31, 2004, 6:12 am - IP Logged

Hyper,

I don't know if you've seen the special;

3 Part Series Special

I had to install realplayer to watch it... well worth it. I've got to get this on DVD.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: December 31, 2004, 7:10 am - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by Sedertree on December 29, 2004

Hi Friends,

I'm in the middle of Brian Greene's latest book; "The Fabric of the Cosmos"

Of particular interest is the fact that past, present and future exist simultaniously. This according to Einsteins equations of the nature of spacetime.

Thus being, your life and the decisions that you, or anyone else, make along the way are predetermined. There is nothing you can do to change the future. Seems that fate and destiny are a consequence of reality.

It is further stated that at some level you already know the decisions that you will make and the consequences that will dventually result. Your behavior up until the point of decision is an attempt to justify the destined outcome.

Every time that I have won the lottery. Or at least one of those should have, could have, would have experiences. I had a pre-sense that it was the right thing to do at the moment. Of course those feelings don't always come to me. Perhaps the circumstances were not right for the possiblility of success.

The closest I can come to describe the feeling. Is a brain-numbing thumping sensation inside my head accompanied by an elated sense of physical well-being. Like caffeine, nicotine, and adrenaline all rolled into one. Physiological changes before the dvent aside.

Given that the theory of past, present and future existing simultaniously is correct. What could one do to ensure success in predicting the draw dvent?

Hiya George,

Just a thought here, since we're being into the esoteric sort of....let's say that the nature of time (past, present, future) is as stated. In quantum physics there is also the Multi Universe Theory; that there are an INFINITE number of universes that exist alongside ours that we recognize.

What if both the past AND future -- as we each PERCEIVE them -- are based upon what decisions/choices/actions we each take in the PRESENT? IOW neither the past NOR the future is predetermined. It is constently being "reinvented" by each of us as we take actions IN THE PRESENT MOMENT. So then EACH time we act in the PRESENT, we are spinning-off yet another "alternate" universe of sorts by our actions. If so, then all is not predetermined ; rather ALL POSSIBLE outcomes of EACH ACTION we take are being created in other "alternate" universes....and we - being physical and therefore more or less "forced" to focus our attention on linear experience due to the nature of synaptic discharges which are linear in nature -- are only conscious of ONE OF THESE OUTCOMES AT A TIME?

Just some thoughts for what they're worth. This is the sort of discussion that can get cumbersome and way "out there" LOL ! I've had such a thing turn into email tomes in terms o f discussions, and that is not my aim here. But rather, just something for you to let your mind "percolate upon".

And yeah,  I personally don't believe in either predetermination or predestination. I believe Free Will is our gift, and that free will is what determines what we experience. With the concept of predetermination, there can be no free will.  Again, not wanting to start a hot debate. Just my two cents worth FWIW.  You have a HAPPY NEW YEAR GEORGE !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

straightchaser's avatar - avatar
                        I am The Avatar...
                        SC
                        United States
                        Member #4355
                        April 15, 2004
                        345 Posts
                        Posted: December 31, 2004, 7:17 am - IP Logged

Interesting stuff Sedertree... I've often wondered about this.....A nice piece of information on the existence of other dimensions is the the NOVA piece on knot theory and how it may very well offer a theoretical explanation of the existence of other dimensions in time and space.

But, I'm sort of bothered by the idea that there are additional copies of "me" in these other dimensions.  I guess it's a religious thing....Predestination maybe, free will can alter this predestination I think.....but HE may have had that in the works all along....

'chaser

East Jordan, MI
                          United States
                          Member #2
                          June 1, 2001
                          675 Posts
                          Posted: December 31, 2004, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

The problem with human free will is "The Will of God"

Omnipotent and Omniscient

In theology you are pawns in "Gods Plan" so how can you have free will at all. It is impossible to have your cake and eat it too.

As we speak, particle accelerators like FermiLab and CERN are/will be on the hunt for Gravitons and Sparticles. Discovering these will prove that the equations of quantum mechanics, including parallel universes, are correct without a shadow of a doubt. Then we will be Omniscient.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                            FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: December 31, 2004, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Quote from Sedertree's original post:

"Every time that I have won the lottery. Or at least one of those should have, could have, would have experiences. I had a pre-sense that it was the right thing to do at the moment. Of course those feelings don't always come to me. Perhaps the circumstances were not right for the possiblility of success.

Given that the theory of past, present and future existing simultaniously is correct. What could one do to ensure success in predicting the draw dvent?"

George, I found this part of your post interesting.  I just read a book called "Lucky You!" by Randall Fitzgerald.  In his study on the subject he found that invariably people who won were aware that they "were in a groove" similar to the caffeine, nicotine rush you spoke of and in fact summarized the physiology in a very similar way as you did.  So in a sense you answered your own question posed in your last sentence....play when it "feels" right.

Very interesting thread and I will have to read it more thoroughly when I have some time...gotta go buy my tickets now....I'm feeling in the groove. 

Thanks for the post.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
                              Member #9059
                              November 26, 2004
                              128 Posts
                              Posted: December 31, 2004, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Sedertree, thank you for the link to the Elegant Universe and the M theory, I have 2 interesting books related to the parallel universe phenomena, the 10th dimension and the elegant universe, but I haven't finish to read them yet..

How many doubles do we have?