Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Test the NEW Lottery Post Web Site!

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 12 years ago by MegaHopeful.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23352 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2005, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

After more than 6 months of development, I am ready to begin general testing of the NEW Lottery Post web site.

During this development project, I have re-written every single page in the web site.  The develop was not done to change the LOOK of the site, but to change how it works under the covers.  In fact, if I did my job well, then you will not notice too many differences between the old site and the new site.  (There are a number of improvement scattered throughout the site, which I'm sure you will enjoy.)

One of the best new features is an all-new editor, which among other things adds the ability to create tables in your messages.  I'm really excited about the new editor, and I think it's among the best out there.  Also, now for the first time, non-IE users are able to use a REAL text editor!  It works in most modern browsers, including Firefox.

For those who care about such things, the entire site has been converted 100% to XHTML 1.1, with CSS-dirven layout.  The web site is now completely table-less (as far as layout is concerned).  The only tables are used for grid-based displays inside boxes (which is their true purpose, as opposed to layout).

I am running the new site in parallel with the old one.  You may use either site.  The reason for the parallel usage is that the changes are so extensive that it needs to be tested over a long period of time to be sure everything is worked out, prior to cut-over.

Please use the new site if possible, and let me know whenever you find something that does not work quite right.  There are undoubtedly bugs, so the more you can report to me, the better it is to work them out.  I really appreciate your support on this.

Here's a link to the new site:

http://www.lotterypost.com/newsite/

Thanks, and enjoy!

-Todd

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MollyG's avatar - happy
    TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
    United States
    Member #9019
    November 25, 2004
    523 Posts
    Posted: May 3, 2005, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Just wanted to post something on the "new" site.  Still have to check it all out.

Thanks Todd

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
      Mid-Missouri
      United States
      Member #644
      August 31, 2002
      4271 Posts
      Posted: May 3, 2005, 12:26 am - IP Logged

That is awesome Todd! I have been playing around in the new area and I see lots of subtle changes but a few jump right out at you and you can tell it is going to be so much better. You have outdone yourself again.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for everything,

Bryan  :)

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23352 Posts
        Posted: May 3, 2005, 12:29 am - IP Logged

Thanks Bryan, I have purposely not said anything about the changes, because they should be fun to discover.  There are lots of changes indeed!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8395 Posts
          Posted: May 3, 2005, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Todd i have been working back and forth between the two sites. Doing some copying and pasting. I sometimes paste stuff to an email and keep it for future use or rework some numbers stuff like that. Usually i can copy and paste stuff from peoples posts and edit it in my email. Now that it is in the new format i have to convert it before i can edit it. That's not a big deal to me. however in the old format i was able to edit stuff i copied to an email without having to convert it.

the stuff i was just working with was Libra Dave's post in mystical forum I copy his numbers to an email so i can work with them.

As always thank's for your hard work in developing this site and making it the best it can possibly be.

United States
            Member #986
            January 5, 2003
            280 Posts
            Posted: May 3, 2005, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Todd, in the pick 3 forum under Tomatin post, once Lottaloot's reply was blank then another time honeybee's reply was blank.

United States
              Member #986
              January 5, 2003
              280 Posts
              Posted: May 3, 2005, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Like the edit and delete feature!

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                CA
                United States
                Member #2987
                December 10, 2003
                832 Posts
                Posted: May 3, 2005, 2:21 am - IP Logged

Todd -

I'm on dial-up still. Newsite runs slightly slower but acceptable. Nice that you've gone css and xhtml compliant - my site isn't. New font (Tahoma) is the one I use most. Possible to use HTML in messages now? Superscripts and subscripts are a welcome addition, as are ordered and unordered lists. Cut/copy/paste features also good. Spellcheck ought to help. Well done and ty.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                  Member #9517
                  December 10, 2004
                  1281 Posts
                  Posted: May 3, 2005, 6:04 am - IP Logged

This is a test post from the newsite

Test of some bold text.

test of a table:

Test of Edit: I am using Firefox.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23352 Posts
                    Posted: May 3, 2005, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Todd, in the pick 3 forum under Tomatin post, once Lottaloot's reply was blank then another time honeybee's reply was blank.

I've noticed that happens sometimes.  It is a result of when people paste text/code from a web page or some other source into a message using the old editor.

One of the things the new site does is to "clean up" messy input.  So, if someone pastes text into a message from a web page, in the old site it might come up as jumbled text, but the new site tries to clean it up so it doesn't mess up the display.

The net of it is that once the site completely cuts over to the new site, and everyone is using the new editor, these things will no longer happen.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23352 Posts
                      Posted: May 3, 2005, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Like the edit and delete feature!

Believe it or not, those things existed in the old site (and still do), but most people don't notice them at the bottom of the message.  During the redesign, I made the commands underneath the messages easier to see.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23352 Posts
                        Posted: May 3, 2005, 8:52 am - IP Logged

This is a test post from the newsite

Test of some bold text.

test of a table:

Test of Edit: I am using Firefox.

Did everything go OK during your test?  Lucky noticed that Center and Right-Align are not working.  I need to find out why.

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23352 Posts
                          Posted: May 3, 2005, 8:53 am - IP Logged

Todd i have been working back and forth between the two sites. Doing some copying and pasting. I sometimes paste stuff to an email and keep it for future use or rework some numbers stuff like that. Usually i can copy and paste stuff from peoples posts and edit it in my email. Now that it is in the new format i have to convert it before i can edit it. That's not a big deal to me. however in the old format i was able to edit stuff i copied to an email without having to convert it.

the stuff i was just working with was Libra Dave's post in mystical forum I copy his numbers to an email so i can work with them.

As always thank's for your hard work in developing this site and making it the best it can possibly be.

When you say that you have to convert it before you can edit it, what do you mean?

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23352 Posts
                            Posted: May 3, 2005, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I fixed the bug that didn't allow Centered or Right-Aligned Text

Thanks to Lucky for pointing out the bug!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8395 Posts
                              Posted: May 3, 2005, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Todd wrote: When you say that you have to convert it before you can edit it, what do you mean?

Todd as you might know I'm on AOL. AOL's  email functions has several ways to format a email. When i copied and pasted Libra Dave's astrological numbers post, he may or not have entered them onto the post using html. When i paste them to my email from the new version of lottery post in order to edit them change colors etc, I have to right click my mouse and convert the post to plain text. Which removes all formatting and changes the whole post to plain text causing all letters and numbers to default to one size. I can then highlight his text and convert it back to html. Then i am able to edit his post as i see fit.

Like i said it's no big deal. As i am used to dealing with this problem copying & paisting different types of  formating. It's only out of conveniance and trial and error that i use an Aol email to do a lot of my editing and writing of post replies. This way for whatever reason i can save the work and sent it to a folder for future use or have it parked there in case something happens during transfer/uploading to lottery post.

What i have noticed so far.

AOL's software doesn't seem to like the new code your using. Some pages aren't  loading as fast as the old version and some things are taking longer than they did with the old version. A couple of times some letters/characters are jumbled on the pages near the bottom of the page after it loads. 

I'm still experimenting with the new site so as i go along i will report any findings about AOL's comparability with it. I am using a modem with AOL's 9.0 optimized using high speed technology. This is the latest version of their software. It is not as great as expected and has caused various problems since i started using it.  

One other thing i noticed is when i tried the new text editor i couldn't do some things Like change colors of letters/numbers when i clicked on the color pallet it wouldn.t open.