Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe you'll win a jackpot?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 11 years ago by kariann.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you actually believe you'll win a jackpot strongly enough to:

Do heavy thinking about how you'd handle it [ 36 ]  [39.13%]
Believe you'll win someday, but then's soon enough [ 15 ]  [16.30%]
Pretty sure I'll win, not planning for it [ 8 ]  [8.70%]
Might win if I buy a ticket [ 12 ]  [13.04%]
Probably won't win, but buy tickets [ 9 ]  [9.78%]
Pretty sure I won't win, but buy tickets [ 8 ]  [8.70%]
Lead pipe cinch I won't win, but buy tickets [ 3 ]  [3.26%]
Don't buy tickets because I know I won't win [ 1 ]  [1.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 92 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 13 ]  

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2005, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I believe, if your not in you can't win!

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2005, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Considering the approximate odds of being hit by lightning is 1 in 7 million, no, I don't think I'll win. If I had to be hit by lightning first then I probably won't be able to use the money considering my nerves would be literally fried.

The odds of winning the pick-4 is 1 in 10,000. I havent come close, except that a few months ago I noticed that the last 4 digits of my cell phone number came in. Shortly before I had given up playing those numbers in straight form. Of course some 3 weeks later they came out straight. What a cruel joke....8472 was the number.Let It All Out

Blaine WA
      United States
      Member #17275
      June 15, 2005
      117 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2005, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

if i didn't believe in winning, then it  would not make sense to play

and if i play, which i am, there should be a plan in place so a person might not be overwhelmed by the sudden cash.

and it is still cheaper and more rewarding for me than movies

the idea of winning fills my spare time with visions of what might be.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2005, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

If I win, it won't be in NY Lotto.

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1610
          June 3, 2003
          668 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2005, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

It definitely could happen to anyone of us.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of their dreams, and endeavors to live the life which they have imagined, they will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”

HENRY DAVID THOREAU Smiley 

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
            dphillips's avatar - littleuns
            Albuquerque, New Mexico
            United States
            Member #5128
            June 18, 2004
            377 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2005, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

The retired military man from New Mexico, who just happened to buy milk and just-for-the-hell-of-it...decided to purchase a quick pick...hit the POWERBALL jackpot, $93 million. 

I do not know whether he had dreams of winning -- but if he did -- his dream came true.  Of course luck is the key to winning but without PATIENCE you will not win, period.  Giving up should not be a part of your POWERBALL vocabulary.

Finally, what gives me inspiration is the lady who was down on her luck, living in a motel, and hit the lottery for $35 million, having played for 15 years. Even her daughter told her to give up; that she was not going to win, but the mother said that she would continue playing. Now, WHAT GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO GIVE UP AFTER ONLY PLAYING FOR 8 YEARS?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31358 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

If I win, it won't be in NY Lotto.

cash only - you need to move to canada.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2005, 12:29 am - IP Logged

One of these days, I'll win a jackpot. I choose Cash option anyway if I win a jackpot in CA SLP or MM where I live, or even PB. I agree with you CASH Only, luck and patience makes jackpot winners pay off!

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2005, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I'll win a jackpot someday. It just won't be a big one. Something along the lines of RI Wild Money or something.

(insert signature here)

Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #1610
                    June 3, 2003
                    668 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2005, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

The retired military man from New Mexico, who just happened to buy milk and just-for-the-hell-of-it...decided to purchase a quick pick...hit the POWERBALL jackpot, $93 million. 

I do not know whether he had dreams of winning -- but if he did -- his dream came true.  Of course luck is the key to winning but without PATIENCE you will not win, period.  Giving up should not be a part of your POWERBALL vocabulary.

Finally, what gives me inspiration is the lady who was down on her luck, living in a motel, and hit the lottery for $35 million, having played for 15 years. Even her daughter told her to give up; that she was not going to win, but the mother said that she would continue playing. Now, WHAT GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO GIVE UP AFTER ONLY PLAYING FOR 8 YEARS?

Angelo and Maria Gallina of Belmont, Calif had been playing the lottery for over 20 years. Then, in late 2002, they won both the Calif Fantasy-Five Jackpot ($126,000.00) and the Calif Super Lotto-Plus ($17 Million) on the same day. The jackpots were won about one hour apart.

When it pertains to the lottery... never, say never... and never give up Smiley

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                      New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2005, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Studying the numbers is fun, winning a jackpot would be nice.  But reading some of the posts on this thread I began a rather long time ago leads me to backtrack a bit in my thinking.

Life is a precious commodity.  Anyone who believes winning a lottery jackpot is a major issue in the living of it probably needs to do some rearranging of priorities.  If life isn't already worth living, winning isn't going to make it so.  And if it is already worth living, wanting to win a lottery probably ought to be somewhere fairly low on the scale of things to wish upon one's self.

The numbers are fun.  The fellowship's fine.  It's a nice avocation, a hobby of sorts.  Challenging, interesting, amusing. 

But the litany cries of 'don't give up!' might leave a person with the impression it's something more than that.  Something a great deal more than that.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Blaine WA
                        United States
                        Member #17275
                        June 15, 2005
                        117 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2005, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

never give up the dream

to buy one ticket for each draw is not a sinificant investment for me

it is cheaper than a movie and a lot more entertaining

is not th major motivation of my life however i do fantasize making life easier for my childrens future and theorizing what charities should be endowed

maybe a college, hospital or many and myriad other benefits for others

all anonymously, i wouldn't want to lose my privacy

the odds do not mean much to those who win the jackpot

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2005, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Quite frankly, the chance at winning a lot of money is just a small bonus. I play for the sake of playing.

(insert signature here)

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                            Albuquerque, New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #5128
                            June 18, 2004
                            377 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2005, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I hope no posters are emotionally and painfully upset when they do not win the lottery, sitting on the side of their beds with a gun cocked, and whispering... ready, aim, fire!  Also, reading the posts, I assume...absolutely no one...is so obsessed with winning that they can't eat, sleep, work, or function normally in their day-to-day routines.

I agree, lottery players should enjoy playing for the fun of it because $1.00 shouldn't overextend anyone's household budget.  Shucks, people spend loads of money on other assorted entertainment: liquor, drugs, sex, movies, food, or other excessive devices.  Some people say that too much of a good thing is bad.  Therefore, moderation is the key.  Truly, I didn't want Rip Snorter to think I was trigger happy, or I was advocating others to polish their silver and spin, hoping a bullet would be the panacea for their financial tremblors.

Notwithstanding, it's the winners who are patient -- accompanied by luck -- we read about or hear about who inspire us.  I'm not advocating that people should quit their jobs, sit back, and hope for the best. 

Yes, there was a young man who was laid off from his job and the next week he hit a big jackpot!  We can't forget our latest New Mexico winner who could really be the spokesperson for any milk commercial. GOT MILK?  Indeed, there are so many of life's unexplainable variables that defy imagination and defy explanation.

Finally, in my opinion, all lottery players should undergo self-examination, introspection (and for the unlucky few, a  psychiatric evaluation) to become emotionally fit -- what I sometimes call -- 'what-if situations!'  Be true to yourself because ultimately regardless of how much you win, it is your soul (spirit) that must bear the weight of your guilt! 

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #12305
                              March 10, 2005
                              2984 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2005, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I hope no posters are emotionally and painfully upset when they do not win the lottery, sitting on the side of their beds with a gun cocked, and whispering... ready, aim, fire!  Also, reading the posts, I assume...absolutely no one...is so obsessed with winning that they can't eat, sleep, work, or function normally in their day-to-day routines.

I agree, lottery players should enjoy playing for the fun of it because $1.00 shouldn't overextend anyone's household budget.  Shucks, people spend loads of money on other assorted entertainment: liquor, drugs, sex, movies, food, or other excessive devices.  Some people say that too much of a good thing is bad.  Therefore, moderation is the key.  Truly, I didn't want Rip Snorter to think I was trigger happy, or I was advocating others to polish their silver and spin, hoping a bullet would be the panacea for their financial tremblors.

Notwithstanding, it's the winners who are patient -- accompanied by luck -- we read about or hear about who inspire us.  I'm not advocating that people should quit their jobs, sit back, and hope for the best. 

Yes, there was a young man who was laid off from his job and the next week he hit a big jackpot!  We can't forget our latest New Mexico winner who could really be the spokesperson for any milk commercial. GOT MILK?  Indeed, there are so many of life's unexplainable variables that defy imagination and defy explanation.

Finally, in my opinion, all lottery players should undergo self-examination, introspection (and for the unlucky few, a  psychiatric evaluation) to become emotionally fit -- what I sometimes call -- 'what-if situations!'  Be true to yourself because ultimately regardless of how much you win, it is your soul (spirit) that must bear the weight of your guilt! 

Truly, I didn't want Rip Snorter to think I was trigger happy, or I was advocating others to polish their silver and spin, hoping a bullet would be the panacea for their financial tremblors.

The thought never once entered my mind that you were sitting on your bed with a Glock between your teeth wondering whether the win or the pressure on the trigger would come first. 

As for whether you're trigger-happy, I don't have any opinion at all. 

My comment wasn't directed at you, nor at your post.  It was a sincere observation related to a lot of posts .... both on this thread, and on other threads, by a lot of people.

You and I don't know anywhere nearly enough about one another to get personal.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser