Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we feel stupid playing the lotto?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 11 years ago by TNPATL.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
TN
United States
Member #17926
June 30, 2005
10 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2005, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I know someone who is a self made millionaire who rags on people who play the lotto for being fools and idiots because the odds are so stacked against them, and even among the few schmucks who win most of them end up going into debt because they never learned how to manage money. He will say, most people playing the lotto are poor and with money problems already, and you can't and won't build wealth by having a tremendous amount of money dumped in your lap all at once with not the slightest plan for what to do with that money, winning the lotto does not changed the spending habits that get people in the mess they are in, blah blah blah...I'm not wealthy but I don't really have money problems (but that is beside the point) so now when I am standing in line with my ticket form filled out I always have this uneasy feeling and wonder if the person standing behind me feels the same way as my friend does?

Do people ever rag on you for playing the lotto? Maybe I *am* stupid to buy those tickets but I feel compelled to...I happen to think it's fun, so what if I blow a couple of dollars a week?

I tell my friend to lighten up but he has no sense of humor. It won't stop me from playing but I have to wonder how many other people feel this way?

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2005, 10:45 am - IP Logged

NY Lotto is a very bad bet.

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2005, 10:59 am - IP Logged

First of all, what are you playing for? Do you dream of winning a jackpot and using your winnings to get what you want/need or think that you want or need? who are you playing for, yourself or your friend or the people standing in line with you? Keep your head up, follow you dream. There are millions of people playing the lottery, young, old, rich and poor. Your friend isn't in the loop or the game and is just speculating.

Yes poorer people play harder trying to obtain what the richer people already have. But have a plan of action for the money that you are going to win in the future so you won't be come one of the "stupid people" with your new found fortune.

litebets

Amarillo/Austin
        United States
        Member #1424
        April 25, 2003
        696 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

It all depends on what type of lottery you play.

Pick 3 is winnable.  Mega Millions and Powerball are  too much of a long shot. 

Orangeman                  No Nod

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I've had strangers standing in line with a couple of six-packs and a carton of cigarettes tell me I'm wasting my money buying lottery tickets but being a friendly guy I smile, get my tickets and continue on my way. 

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

TN
            United States
            Member #17926
            June 30, 2005
            10 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I can see the point of what my friend is saying, but I think it's unfair of him to lump all people who play the lottery into one category and label them as irresponsible. If I won the lottery,according to how much I won I would make plans to retire (I'm 30) buy a large piece of land in the country, build a plain house, drive a plain car and live out the rest of my life in comfortable obscurity, where I can get up early in the morning with the sun and go to bed when the sun goes down (as it is now, I work the night shift as a nurse and life is miserable because I sleep the day away and am exhausted all the time and I never see my children anymore).

I realize the odds are stacked against me, that most likely my fate will be to spend my life running laps and retire at 67 (if I live that long) with just enough retirement to live on, my kids grown and regrets that I didn't spend more time with them....a deeply depressing future. People have to have hope, no matter how tiny and almost nonexistent the hope is.  I'll keep spending a couple of dollars a week on that hope, regardless of what some millionaire thinks.

Litebets27's avatar - power
              Maryland
              United States
              Member #10465
              January 14, 2005
              6065 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:28 am - IP Logged

As a fellow Nurse, I know how you feel Lottoloser*. Good luck to you.

litebets

TN
                United States
                Member #17926
                June 30, 2005
                10 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Yea, Rjoh, I guess that money could be better spent on cigarettes and beer.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19830 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:31 am - IP Logged

In Ohio we say "Buy a lottery ticket, chances are you'll have fun" , not "you'll get rich".  If you're not having fun then maybe your friend has a point.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #5565
                    July 11, 2004
                    260 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:55 am - IP Logged

He's on a religious crusade.  There are always going to be people who blow money that they can't afford to on things like lotteries, religious donations (televangelists come to mind), junk from infomercials, hoarding unwanted cats and dogs, or any number of things.  The question one should ask is whether there's a portion of your monthly budget that's reserved for discretionary expenses, some of which goes to junk food, entertainment, charity, or to other frivolous things, and whether the money for the lottery comes out of this fixed pot or starts to have a negative impact on your financial status...

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                      Member #9517
                      December 10, 2004
                      1272 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2005, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

They say lotteries are taxes on the stupid and/or poor.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                        Tx
                        United States
                        Member #4570
                        May 4, 2004
                        5180 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I have heard that also.

Somebody has to pay them, right ?

Haven't you heard then people say, "better them than me" ?

Most people don't even try to learn anything at all about the lottery games, they just buy their tickets and leave it to luck.

It's their money and they can do whatever they want to do with it and somebody does have to pay the taxes and besides they are very much willing to pay them.

If everybody was winning there would not be a lottery right ?

Most people are not really interested in winning right ? If they were they would try to learn how to win right ?

Be and let be, they are happy enough buying their tickets and winning a dollar or two every once in a while.

Most of them maybe don't spend any-more than they can afford to spend.

Good luck.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

United States
                          Member #5565
                          July 11, 2004
                          260 Posts
                          Posted: June 30, 2005, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Also, referred to as a tax on the mathematically challenged.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                            North Dakota
                            United States
                            Member #13397
                            April 5, 2005
                            1623 Posts
                            Posted: June 30, 2005, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I hear all the time lotto players are bad at math.  I'll be honest I'm very good in math and I know the odds of winning.  I hate it when people think they are smarter than you because you play the lottery when they don't know anything to begin with.  I play for fun.  I don't think I'm going to win until I do. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
                              Member #5565
                              July 11, 2004
                              260 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2005, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

is it my imagination or doesn't it seem that a disproportionate number of lottery winners seem to come from rural locations?  or is the lottery much more popular with the rural folk since it's one of a few diversions around?